Full time RVing in a 30ft class c

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HRDWRK

Hi:

My wife and I are thinking about taking 1-2 year off and going around US and Canada. Our main concern is the size of RV. We have a 30ft class C. Although we can swap this one with a slightly bigger, or perhaps a class A,  but we rather not to do that since our parking spot at our house cannot accommodate more than 30 ft long RV. We like to have our RV in our drive way rather than storage. We were thinking about 30 ft fifth wheel might be more comfortable ( I already have a 3/4 ton truck) but then I like the idea of having two vehicle (RV and a towed) just in case a break down or something wrong happens, although our class C is fairly new, a 2016 model.
So, considering the fact that everything is relative to many factors, how small would 30 ft is for full timing? Or maybe it is not?!
Please share your ideas and experiences.
Thanks

I suspect your big concern is going to be cargo carrying capacity not space, many class C's in this size range have less than 1,000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity with empty water tanks as they are built on 12,500 - 14,500 pound GVWR chassis , compare this to similar sized class A's which are built on 18,000 - 20,500 GVWR chassis and often have over 3,000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity with empty tanks.

DW and I had spent a lot of time in a 23' trailer while camphosting, but s&b was only 5 miles away. We spent 4 months straight in a trailer that was 34' bumper to bumper with no issues. We bought an RV lol and put our house up for sale. It sold in 24 hours. We spent about 3 months in our class C with a 16# dog. I still work full time and we are both 62 years old. Believe me, it was getting old. In the same situation as you, just traveling around, we most likely could have done a year or two. The problem with being parked permanently is my wife likes to decorate like it's a S&B. We also had a lot! Of stuff in the C that we really didn't need, but had no other place for.

HRDWRK said:
Hi:

My wife and I are thinking about taking 1-2 year off and going around US and Canada. Our main concern is the size of RV. We have a 30ft class C. Although we can swap this one with a slightly bigger, or perhaps a class A,  but we rather not to do that since our parking spot at our house cannot accommodate more than 30 ft long RV. We like to have our RV in our drive way rather than storage. We were thinking about 30 ft fifth wheel might be more comfortable ( I already have a 3/4 ton truck) but then I like the idea of having two vehicle (RV and a towed) just in case a break down or something wrong happens, although our class C is fairly new, a 2016 model.
So, considering the fact that everything is relative to many factors, how small would 30 ft is for full timing? Or maybe it is not?!
Please share your ideas and experiences.
Thanks
A small number of people full time in 30' RV and some even much smaller.  We have seen fulltimers in a large pickup truck with slide on camper in the bed of the pickup. 

We all have our opinions about the size of the camper for full time.  I all depends on one's attitude and perspective. 

You already have the Class C.  If the RV is level or you can level it, go live in it for 2-4 weeks with it in the driveway.  Also envision taking the RV to the store or any place else every time you need something.  Very few people manage to travel for months or years in an RV w/o a second vehicle to go sightseeing or to the store.  Some have made it work, but most don't.  Your RV should be able to tow a 3000-4000 pound vehicle w/o a problem.

We full timed in a 29' class A with no slides for about 8 months.  When we went home to sell all our stuff, the first thing we did was upgrade to a bigger coach(37' and a slide).  We're much more comfortable now.

It's certainly possible to live fulltime in a 30 ft C, but I personally would not want to do it if avoidable. Minor inconveniences and shortcoming in storage space & weight can get really aggravating after several weeks.  Remember, you will be bringing a lot more stuff with you for 1-2 year journey, and you will be using that cramped shower/toilet and tiny galley every day.  I suggest you try a 4+ week trip in your current RV to see how it goes.
A 30 ft trailer will have 3-4 feet more living space than a 30 ft C and that usually provides a more usable bath area and kitchen. One with slides yields even more space.

We keep our RV at our house and love it. Sounds like you're coming back home so sticking with 30' makes sense. Hard be beat a small flat tow for exploring. I like having access to everything while traveling which a motorhome offers. A fifth wheel may be bigger but you lose access to the kitchen, bathroom and bed while driving. They also are harder to maneuver, drive and takes more time to set up and prepare for driving. If you're driving somewhere and staying for long periods of time, a fifth wheel makes sense. We often drive short distances and stay one night. Preparing for the road is very quick especially if you don't connect water or sewer.

Some of the C Class chassis' have excellent load limits. Having a small tow vehicle helps the ratios. We have a Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback with dual clutch automatic transmission. It is rated at 70 miles per hour, unlimited miles and weighs 2800 pounds including tow plate, tow bar, supplemental brake system and lights. It's a great second car and tow car combination but no off road capability. Lot's of manual transmission cars to choose from. Smart Fortwo had the least amount of weight but very small.

On a side note, get a home security system with video / HVAC monitoring smartphone app for peace of mind.

We fiull timed for 2+ years in a 32 ft class A with two slides.(Georgie Boy ) and got along fine. Storage was limited, but adequate (we still had the house then). Don't think I'd like to try it in a Class C. We had a large shower and king sized bed. Major lack was counter space.

Ernie

Thanks for all the inputs. We have put almost 20,000 miles on our RV so far and have gone to few trips of 2-3 weeks durations, the longest one from Seattle to Yellowstone and SD and then down to Los Angeles. I have to say at the end it was getting a little tight, not storage wise, mainly sleeping on a more comfortable bed despite having a foam mattress topper. We though it might have been a mental feeling at the end, last few days mainly, that we are heading back to destination and getting home.  Although vehicle payload can be an issue but volume wise we have never filled all our spaces.
As for a second car, we have a very light 2000 Honda CRV (I think the GVW is under 3000lb). It is older but I know every single nuts and bolts on this car and it is very simple to fix if something happens. Besides, although it is not too big/small but it is all wheel drive and very roomy.

We are not full timers but spend from October to end of April in our 31ft.  In addition, we spend several weekends during the spring in it.We actually spend more in it than in our condo.  We tow a car with a lot of stuff inside . It works well for us.

The amount of space needed for various purposes (including personal items) is a huge variable. Likewise the willingness to tolerate various inconveniences or discomforts.  What is small worry to one may be a major PITA to another. Best I can say is to heed your own feelings about that 3 week trip. It doesn't get better as you stay longer!  And as the time increases, your expectations tend to rise as you yearn for the conveniences you have in your fixed site home.

Some commonly heard complaints include mattress comfort, difficulty making the bed, availability of long hot showers, fresh food storage, restrictions on power usage (from those with 30A RVs), tv (or lack of it), seating comfort (recliner, etc), counter space for small appliances and food prep, poor gas oven performance (from the chefs), place for dirty laundry, shabby laundromats,  and on and on. Probably as many different things as there are people using Rvs.

To add to Gary's list, there is also lack of private space, this is one issue my wife and I have with our small 28 ft class A, as excluding the bathroom everything is one open space with no walls or even doorways (no bedroom or bedroom door).

First of all, I am a tightwad.

Since you already have a late model RV, which you like, and a good toad which is 4 down towable, according to Remco, I would go with it.  I might plan my 2 year trip to include a few stops past the house, especially early in the trip in case you choose to go the FW route.  The big difference is you lose the convenience of the traveling amenities in the RV and the CR-V sight seeing car and trade for more living space and a ? ton truck for sight seeing.

I agree with limiting any RV size to what you can park next to the house!

I agree with the others who have said you have the unit so give it a try for a longer trip.

There seems to be a growing movement of people full timing in small vans who think it is great! On the other side, there are folks fulltiming in 45 foot luxury coaches who could not bear the thought of going down to a 40 footer.

Most of us fall somewhere between these extremes but you need to find out where your comfort level lies. Probably only done by actually doing it.

dave61 said:
I agree with the others who have said you have the unit so give it a try for a longer trip.

There seems to be a growing movement of people full timing in small vans who think it is great! On the other side, there are folks fulltiming in 45 foot luxury coaches who could not bear the thought of going down to a 40 footer.

Most of us fall somewhere between these extremes but you need to find out where your comfort level lies. Probably only done by actually doing it.

I agree completely.  I fully expect our 39 ft FW will be great for a few months at a time, but only Huey Pilot had a rig big enough for my DW to full time!  Too many heirlooms and keepsakes we will NEVER use, but she will keep forever.  EX.  We have TWO sets of Christmas dishes, one 8 place setting and one 16 piece, from her mother and grandmother.  We have my grandmother's dishes with many extra pieces. (used occasionally) displayed in the dining room china hutch.  We have her mother's every day dishes (never used) boxed up in the basement.  We have Great Aunt Gertrude's good china (Never used) stored above the fridge.  We have our good wedding china we have used almost daily for over 46 years, and we have a 6 piece Corelle set in the FW.  OH, and 5 sets of flatware.

And I'm here to tell you that when the time comes, the kids will want none of that stuff.  I had stuff from my father and his grandmother.  My wife also had stuff that came down from her family.  The kids wanted absolutely none of it. 
My wife had to beg one daughter in law to take a little folding leaf table that came down from my great gandmother.  All the paintings and other knick-knacks that our parents collected and treasured are now in storage in the attic of my house. 
Not sure what I'm going to do with it all when we finally do put the house on the market. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom