Mexico by RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJAG

Hi All,
I know there are caravans that go through Mexico. My wife and I are interested, however Mexico has changed in the last 4 years.
Is it still safe? Have you traveled there recently? What was your experience?
Any advice or suggestions on caravan groups would be great.

Baja CA is much safer than the mainland.

Don't wear jewelry or display any wealth.

Buy the additional Auto insurance.

(and don't drink the water.. :D )

I am not in a position to answer that but let me tell you a funny story told by a member of the RV.NET forums (Also Goodsams.net and campingrowld.net and a few others. several names for that group (Affinity) of forums).

HE told of winning 3rd prize. SO he goes to the post office an picks up a box about six pounds. Gets home and opens it with great anticipation.. A Teflon/Silison/Carbon fiber Snow Shovel.

His very descriptive screen name:  Mexicowanderer

Yup. he's in Mexico.

I suspect he can answer your questions.

I do  not know if the OP is monitoring his thread but I can answer his questions. There are parts of Mexico that are very safe. But in the last few years crime is much worse. I would suggest you join Escapees. They run a small caravan into Mexico every year. Not  too deep into Mexico. The cost is minimal. Good bunch of travelers. This way you can get a taste of Mexico in a fun safe environment. Then you can decide if you want to travel further. A commercial caravan is very expensive.

Mexico is a wonderful fascinating foreign country to visit and the people are so kind and friendly.

99% of the time nothing bad is going to happen.

Thanks I will look into Escapees. We have spent time there just not in an RV.
We love the people but worry about the cartel.

CJAG said:
We have spent time there just not in an RV.
We love the people but worry about the cartel.

I too love the people and had a job back in the late 70s taking company clients to Baja primarily, sometimes weekly - loved it. That was back when the side streets in Cabo were still dirt, and you could get a loaf of bread for five cents from a wood fired beehive oven in the local panaderia. My retirement plan from when I was in my 20s was to tour the US, Canada and Mexico by RV. Fast forward to today - I have considered RV trips and also dive trips to Mexico. At the time I lived in AZ, and the most popular Mexican destination was Rocky Point. Was told time and again "don't worry, it's perfectly safe". Approximately 4-5 years ago there was a cartel gun battle in broad daylight in the main street area of Rocky Point - even then those who still frequented the area said "not to worry, they weren't targeting Americans".

Not for me, Mexico is firmly off the list. IMO if one has to ask if the cartel is active in a destination under consideration, you've already answered your own question as to whether it is safe. There is more than enough to see in the US and Canada.

Sr fox, a member here,  spends a lot of time in Mexico. He's not as active here as he used to be, so maybe a PM to him can get you some relevant information.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom