Dash Radio works, sometimes... Diagnostic help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasoki

We have a sony radio in the dash.  It works fine, until it doesn't.
It will cut out  for no apparent reason, and won't come back on. 

We are parked, not going down the road.  The radio display shows that it is playing the radio (complete with radio id, etc), (or cd or sirius, or blue tooth) as a source, but nothing comes out of the speakers.  The connections behind the radio have all been checked.  they are tight.

I have taken the radio out at least 4 times.  Sometimes the radio worked upon reinstallation, sometimes  it didn't.  As an example, today upon reinstallation, the radio worked from 3:00 until 6:15, when it stopped without any apparent cause.

this radio is part of a surround sound system, the speakers associated with the radio all cut out at the same time, nothing comes out of any of the speakers.  I have checked the fader and balance controls.  the surround sound still works ....

The speakers associated with the surround sound still work ( I assume some of the surround sound system uses the same speakers.

I even ordered and installed an new radio with the same results...  no its not likely the radio

Any idea of what to check next.

Believe it or not .... I DO.    That problem sounds.. Strnagely familure.

Now.. THe lay out in MY RV.. (Yours may or may not be different)

THe radio feeds a high power amp that in my rig is on the side wall under the dash on the driver's side. it's a 150 Watt amp as I recall.. On the firewall behind where the clutch pedal would be ... if I had a clutch...  (To the left of the steering column) is a box. it has a bunch of audio cables with RCA or PHONO plugs (Standard audio cables) and it has a couple of multi pin milkey white MOLEX connectors.

It makes a CLICK when you operate the ignition switch (KEY).

THis is because the Dash Radio and the HOME THEATER both use the same speakers and the box with the connectors is a Relay box that switches between them.

Symptoms were exactly as you describe. It would work and not, and the radio appeared to be working still. Finally I pressed on one of those MOLEX  Connectors and heard the latches (They latch) Snap .. Yup. Idiot at factory did not plug it in all the way.

Been several years since. no problems.

Back
Top Bottom