Locking Topics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where as I'm a person who believes in "Moderation with Moderation" I happen to feel the moderators here do a very fine job..  I've seen a few locked topics and sometimes I know why.  IN some cases I see topics I think SHOULD be locked.. if only because the horse is well and truly dead and continuing to beat on it.... But Well...

IN some other forums I see topics locked for .. Well Basicall the whim of the heavy handed moderators. In one case I've abandoned a family of forums because of it.  I still check for private messages every few weeks there but no longer post.

Clearly. I'm not talking about this family :)

Now if only Computer #3 will complete the job without crashing again (it's downloading a 148 Page PDF file)  (This is known as thread drift by the way ignore this paragraph).

I think the moderators here are doing a very good job overall, and that this forum has good guidelines for what should and should not be allowed.  Over the years I have participated on some web forums that have rather extremely heavy handed moderation, and / or forum posting rules that are not in the best interest of the forum members gaining useful information.  In the end I unusually stop participating in such forums over frustration. 

Two examples of this behavior that I find most annoying are forums that don't allow linking to products, or only allow linking to products of forum sponsors , ie someone asks Where can I find a replacement door latch knob for a 1997 XYZ, and you are not allowed to post a link to it being for sale for $9 at Amazon, and must instead either say Billy Bobs over priced knobs has it for $84, or I know, but forum rules will not allow me to tell you.

A similar other protectionist policy involves forums that don't allow linking or pointing people to other web forums, I was chastised by a moderator on another RV forum and had my  post edited over this on another RV web forum just a couple of weeks ago.  Where I pointed out and linked to the existence of an online owners group for the specific model of coach.  Now I can understand and agree with it being polite to try to keep topics on a given message board, but when a person shows up and asks for the thoughts of other owners of a specific rare model, it seems to me that informing them about the existence of a group devoted to only discussing this specific model is more in their benefit, than forcing them to continue to get no response to the questions asked.

Sorry for the rant
Ike

What prompted me to start this topic is in a couple of instances, one just recently, I posted a reply and another member misconstrued my post. A few hours later after I read the other members post, I proceeded to explain my reply only to discover once I clicked on Post that the topic was locked during my typing. Now, to be fair, I did not take into account that one or some replies may have been deleted due to meanness, snarkyism or other salient reason. I did not think any previous visible replies had broken any rules. Having said that I am but only a member and not someone that must monitor all the musings of what must be thousands of members. Keep up the good work. I?m going over to FB to get some meanness and snarkyism out of system. I?ll be back in a few hours.

[quote author=Dragginourbedaround]Is it possible to lock a member out of a post than to lock the post?[/quote]

I assume you meant lock a member out of a topic (aka thread), but unfortunately it's not an option in our current forum software.

SargeW said:
We prefer not to lock topics. We would rather see a topic come back to subject at hand, and the dialogue continue. Some topic "drift" is normal, but some really run off of the rails. Members often will bring the topic back on point. If it gets too far into left field, then the best option is to lock it and move on.
The dry humor in me can't let this one get by,,, "Too far into  "LEFT" FIELD..>>>Dan ::)

if some people cannot participate in an adult conversation, eliminate the people, not the conversations.

bigfatguy said:
if some people cannot participate in an adult conversation, eliminate the people, not the conversations.

I'm have no doubt that members have been removed...And some threads have drifted off topic and into dangerous territory. 

SargeW said:
If it gets too far into left field, then the best option is to lock it and move on.

See !....

it's always the Left... ;)

Isaac-1 said:
I think the moderators here are doing a very good job overall, and that this forum has good guidelines for what should and should not be allowed.  Over the years I have participated on some web forums that have rather extremely heavy handed moderation, and / or forum posting rules that are not in the best interest of the forum members gaining useful information.  In the end I unusually stop participating in such forums over frustration. 

Two examples of this behavior that I find most annoying are forums that don't allow linking to products, or only allow linking to products of forum sponsors , ie someone asks Where can I find a replacement door latch knob for a 1997 XYZ, and you are not allowed to post a link to it being for sale for $9 at Amazon, and must instead either say Billy Bobs over priced knobs has it for $84, or I know, but forum rules will not allow me to tell you.

A similar other protectionist policy involves forums that don't allow linking or pointing people to other web forums, I was chastised by a moderator on another RV forum and had my  post edited over this on another RV web forum just a couple of weeks ago.  Where I pointed out and linked to the existence of an online owners group for the specific model of coach.  Now I can understand and agree with it being polite to try to keep topics on a given message board, but when a person shows up and asks for the thoughts of other owners of a specific rare model, it seems to me that informing them about the existence of a group devoted to only discussing this specific model is more in their benefit, than forcing them to continue to get no response to the questions asked.

Sorry for the rant
Ike

Use the PM feature to give information to those you wish to have it.]
I do it all the time, on several different forums.

sightseers said:
See !....

it's always the Left... ;)

I will add this then: If it gets to far into right field it will also get locked. Happy?  ;)

SargeW said:
If it gets too far into left field, then the best option is to lock it and move on.
Back2PA said:
I will add this then: If it gets to far into right field it will also get locked. Happy?  ;)

So I Just have to ask...We can't go to the left..and..We can't go to the right....What if we just go DOWN the wrong path....Or just pop in to Stir thing UP

I just want to know what direction to take things ;D ;D

Oldgator73 said:
The path less traveled.

Metaphorically speaking, someone who takes 'the path less traveled' is acting independently, freeing themselves from the conformity of others

And once again tonight I find myself confused ???
Do I conform and not go in any direction...or do I break away and go down the less traveled path of the HEARTLAND Trail Runner Community. ( The last new post over there was in Nov.)

Gizmo100 said:
I'm have no doubt that members have been removed...And some threads have drifted off topic and into dangerous territory.

We are all adults. There are no dangerous topics for conversation, and The Shade Tree is, in fact, intended for "off topic" conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom