Offroad lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I'm looking for two different types of LED lights for my pickup. There are so many available and I'm certain many are junk, I'd love to get feedback on brands/models you've had good luck with.

1) A lightbar, approximately 18-24" wide by perhaps 3-4" high. This will be mounted in a wide opening in the bumper. Looking for a combination of flood but primarily distance. I do a fair amount of night driving in very rural areas with lots of deer and am looking for serious illumination. I am aware of the fact that these lights are not on-road legal. This will be wired through one of the upfitter switches/relays capable of 20 amps so power draw shouldn't be a problem

2) I intend to control the light bar by the high beam circuit through a relay and need a source for the relay as all I'm finding is wire harness/relay kits - I want just the relay

3) A pair of small but powerful lights to be used as add-on backup lights. Something in the 3" square range. I do not intend to run a new power wire and will be just tapping in to the backup light circuit, so I need to keep power draw down to perhaps 1-1.5 amps each. I'd like good flood coverage but would also like to be able to see back clearly perhaps 60 feet or more while looking through the mirrors and factory tinted glass, so as bright as possible given the power limitations.

Thx

I don't think you will reach your objective with the back up lights unless you run a new power wire and use the existing one to trigger a relay. The current wire and switch will likely frown on the added current draw. I met a lifted pick up the other night, he had a light bar like you describe mounted in the grill. That sucker was BRIGHT, I had to slow right down as I could not see the edge of the road.  :mad:  I hope the federales have a word with him

I went with a 20" lightbar from Amazon. Good quality, easy hookup. Didn't break the bank.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYN79YP/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 20180708_123341 (2).jpg
    20180708_123341 (2).jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 28
I put a pair of these on the back of my MH...tapped into the existing reverse light circuit.
They don't light it up back there like day, but they do help a bit.
I initially installed similar ones that were just a single row.... not nearly bright enough but they were faulty, had several of the led's go out after several months....  maybe they just weren't up to par out of the gate
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTX7SU4/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

Mine are the 36W floods

Another suggestion for lights is to look on www.wish.com.  I ordered an 18" light bar there for about 30 bucks.  Wish is basically like Amazon - anything you can think of, they probably have.  The difference is you are getting it directly from the manufacturer and saving all the middleman costs.  I've ordered a lot of stuff from there and have been relatively pleased with everything so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom