Atlis Elec. Truck - 500 miles - 20,000 lbs towing capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IBTripping

While I think electric motor homes are a long way in the future, all electric pickup trucks may soon be here. Tesla and other companies are developing electric pickup trucks. The latest is Atlis Motor Vehicles who are promoting the Atlis XT heavy duty pickup truck. Atlis claims it will offer one that has a 500 mile range and up to 20,000 lbs. towing capacity. But, the 500 mile range is achieved without towing a TT or 5er. Just like ICE trucks, towing a heavy load reduces the mileage between fill ups; fossil fuel or electricity. It will come in 2 or 4 door models. Projected to be available in 2020.

Currently, you can get a 2019 Ram pickup with a mild electric hybrid engine.

https://jalopnik.com/the-atlis-xt-electric-pickup-concept-could-have-500-mil-1831575920
http://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck

Good looking truck too.

I agree with electric in the future, it seems to be more popular in different regions.  Here in Indiana, corn fields, diesel trucks are king.  IMO, the cost will be high and service availability will be low, from a $$$ point of view. Make cost of ownership cheaper than fossil fuel vehicles, and that would spark an interest.  Make a tonneau bed cover out of solar panels that would charge as you drove, that would spark a higher interest.  Make a semi-trailer roof out of solar panels and have electric assist on flat hwy travel, I would think there would be a market today for that as well.

Pipe dreams.
Once you TOW 250 miles where are you going to recharge it?  The hoped for 500 mile range will likely drop nearly in half when hitched to a trailer.  There are simply no free rides.  With certain freshman in congres clamoring to do away with 70% of our electric generating capacity where or rather how do people expect to charge these all electric vehicles?

In the US in 2017 there were almost 50,000 charging stations. Doesn't sound like a pipe dream to me.

Attachments

• Public-Charging-Stations-by-Charging-Network-V4-12.31.17.png
    Public-Charging-Stations-by-Charging-Network-V4-12.31.17.png
    61 KB · Views: 11
donn said:
Pipe dreams.
Once you TOW 250 miles where are you going to recharge it?  The hoped for 500 mile range will likely drop nearly in half when hitched to a trailer.  There are simply no free rides.  With certain freshman in congres clamoring to do away with 70% of our electric generating capacity where or rather how do people expect to charge these all electric vehicles?

This is a point.  We're in Quartzsite, Az. for a few months.  Behind the Carl's Jr, Tesla has set up 6 charging stations. 
The other day we went to Carl's for lunch. All 6 stations were full and the line of Tesla's waiting stretched all the way through the parking lot and out into the street.

My 10 yr old, $26000 when new, diesel will go 250 miles towing a 10K 5er. I carry spare fuel in a can that will get me another 100 miles in case I hit a headwind and only go 150 miles on a tank.  I would hate to be in an electric and hit an unexpected headwind with no spare capacity. I guess you could carry a generator and enough fuel for the generator to charge the truck but you may as well buy a fossil fuel truck :)

How many of the current charging stations have the ability to fully charge that truck in the quoted 15 minutes?  My guess, none.

How many gas stations were available when the first internal combustion vehicles hit the road? How many are available now? When there is enough demand they will be built. I am seeing more and more of the Tesla charging stations all the time. Sounds likely need more around Quartzsite.

No doubt the technology will get better in the future. But for now, the initial cost, short range and long charging time puts electrical vehicles out of what I consider practical for me.

SeilerBird said:
In the US in 2017 there were almost 50,000 charging stations. Doesn't sound like a pipe dream to me.

Wonderful.  Whats going to happen to those charging stations when AOC gets her zero fossil fuel power plants?  Where is all this electricity going to come from?  Solar certainally wont fill the bill, and wind is an ecological disaster.

Let?s face it. Some folks want to live in the dark ages. New technology is born every day. You can either embrace it or not. These are the same people that would have scoffed at the automobile when it was first introduced. You remember the price of a VCR when they first came out? Somewhere around $400. Now look what the cost. We have to get away from fossil fuels.

donn said:
Wonderful.  Whats going to happen to those charging stations when AOC gets her zero fossil fuel power plants?  Where is all this electricity going to come from?  Solar certainally wont fill the bill, and wind is an ecological disaster.
The real question you should be asking yourself is where you are planning on buying your gasoline in a few years when the rest of the world has embraced solar, batteries and capacitors?

All this babble over a CONCEPT.  This is not even a real vehicle yet.  Will it ever get built?  Who knows.  I get it,  the world changes, evolves and moves foreword.  Today the technology is simply not there.  Its just great there are charging stations.  Two questions though?  In the middle of Iowa, Texas or Indiana where will you find a charging station that will be in the open enough so you can pull in with your trailer connected to charge your wonderful electeic truck?  Will there be a charging station deep in the woods of the PNW for you to use?  Hummm  guess y`all think everybody camps in some resort! 
Electric vehicles can and do make sense in urban areas where they only travel a short distance a day and the infasteucture is in place to support all those wonderful charging stations.  Next question.  When all the oil, gas, and coal electric generating plants are banned, and nuclear is dead because everybody are afraid where will you get the electeicity to charge your cars and trucks?  Its a simple fact wind generarors kill thousands of birds each year.  And only produce when there is a breeze.  Do. you want to see Bald eagles go extinct?  Solar farms take thousands and thousands of acres to produce the equilivant of one medium sized fossil fuel plan.  Where will we get the land to put these hugh UGLY solar farms?  Do we take furtile ground out of production?

SeilerBird said:
The real question you should be asking yourself is where you are planning on buying your gasoline in a few years when the rest of the world has embraced solar, batteries and capacitors?

But But, if everyone else stops using gasoline, there will be plenty for the USA.  As we melt off all the ice and snow, surely we will unearth even more fossil fuel.  ???

Oldgator73 said:
Oh no, you?re not going to tell us there?s a truck that can tow 20,000 pounds that?s powered on Kool-Aid are you?

This reminded me of all the gadgets advertised in the 60s that if placed on the gas line would make your carbureted car get 50 mpg by energizing the fuel

Back
Top Bottom