High strength bonding tape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

Does anyone have any experience using high strength bonding tape? I saw a You tube video in which a trailer builder was using it to bond aluminum skin to the steel frame. I have a similar project going on a small trailer and would like to use it. I not sure where to source it but I expect Google will tell me.

Bonding tapes work fine, as long as the load is within their spec.  I've used various 3M double-sided tape products,  but the tape depends on the laoding (lbs/sq-in) and conditions.  Epoxy resins also work well.
You may find this concurrent topic interesting:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,119142.msg1084242/topicseen.html#new

Thanks Dale,

Hard to believe that a tape will hold the sides on a TT.  I guess I better get the panels positioned right the first time.

Lowell said:
Thanks Dale,

Hard to believe that a tape will hold the sides on a TT.  I guess I better get the panels positioned right the first time.

Many of these tapes have a published cure time for max adhesion. Put them on and immediately pull them back off without too much problem, but leave them on a week, and you'll probably pull the aluminum skin apart trying to get it off.

Lowell said:
Thanks Dale,

The stuff is amazingly strong when applied correctly.  You know all those little trim pieces, brand badges and other stuff on your car?  Yup, stuck on with VHB or UHB.  Lasts for years and years.

They've been successfully using double sided tapes and liquid adhesives to bond together dissimilar metals and carbon fiber on the mono-cock chassis of Supercars for years now. 

I considered using VHB tape when I rebuilt my TT. I called the 3M tech number and they were very helpful. They said it was designed to take the place of rivets. Be aware there are several types of VHB's. If you use it be sure it is the correct one for your needs. I chose not to use it because of the cost for the correct tape and the answer I received when I asked '' how to take it apart''. The answer from 3 M was, '' we have a special chisel bit for a reciprocating saw but most likely the aluminum will just tear''.

Tom

I did see that the tape is pretty expensive and I'm not sure yet how much I will need,  But I like the fact that not using rivets or fasteners, you are less likely to get water leaks.

when it comes to tapes...

there is 3M......and then there are all the others that almost work.

Or Buy, Cry, Throw away, Go back and buy the 3M. It's expensive to do it that way. BTW 3M spray contact cement is a good product also. I used it to attach panels to cabinets.
37 years in the construction business and I never saved any money on cheap tools or anything else.
Pat

Nice! This was very common problem for me I tried various types of these tapes and one that never failed me is Hi Strength Bond Tape from 3M company. Very easy to use and endurable product.

I phoned 3M support today and after waiting through 3 people and holding about 15 minutes, I was finally connected to a supposedly 3M VHB support person.  I was trying to find out which of their VHB tapes was best for my application.  When she asked me what company I worked for, I told her I was doing this for myself.  She told me that 3M wouldn't give out technical specifications or recommendations to individuals and I would have to talk to a supplier. Pretty poor customer support in my opinion.

I did make a call to the distributor she recommended, RSHuges, but the person I talked to didn't have an immediate answer. He did say he would try to find out and he also stated that the tape P/N  is specific to what you are trying to bond together. So I am twiddling my thumbs until they hopefully get back to me.

One other thing to note about VHB tape is that it has a short shelf life, so buy from a supplier that has fresh inventory and don't buy more than you will use in the next few months.

Isaac-1 said:
One other thing to note about VHB tape is that it has a short shelf life, so buy from a supplier that has fresh inventory and don't buy more than you will use in the next few months.

Thanks, There is a local supplier here in Phoenix so I should be able to get it in smaller quantities as needed.  Specification says it has a two year shelf life but I will try to get very fresh tape and use it quickly once I confirm which tape to get.

Would you like a job at my RV repair shop?  You can start immediately.  No pay, no benefits, but maybe 3M will talk to you. Just opened the place next week.  You can even name the place!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom