Generac genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napalm204

Having trouble with my old genset.  It will crank and run from my remote start button in the cab while the motor is running.  But as soon as I kill the engine, the generator runs for about 10-seconds and stops.  I have replaced filters (both air and fuel) the fuel pump and the fuse.  Still it will not run by itself.  I am guessing a carburetor problem but would love to hear any other suggestions.  Thanks to all in advance.

Just a guess, but maybe it is related to fuel pressure in the line from the tank.

Assuming that you have fuel injection on the motorhome engine, when running it might provide extra pressure to the generator,  When the MH engine is off the pressure may not be high enough.

Maybe a restriction in the line, filter or weak fuel pump in the genny.

Does your supply line for the genny come all the way from the tank or does it tee off the main line?

Given your description, the problem is lack of 12v from the house batteries. The generator fuel pump and electronics require a steady 12v supply and apparently it is lacking once the engine is shut off (alternator not running).

Definitely NOT a carb or fuel problem is it runs fie when the chassis engine is operating.

Gary-  I can ALWAYS depend on you for a logical and sensible reply.  Last time I checked I had adequate volts on my house batteries.  But they probably have lost some power since I last checked.  I will see if that simple fix will solve my problem.  I have saved myself countless dollars and time by listening to the advice of the people on this site.  Wow!  I hope you are right.  I will let you know.  Thanks so much as always.

Gary-  Just to follow up.  Your suggestion, once again, was right on target.  I put a charger on my house batteries and it all worked as you suggested.  I may have to get new house batteries soon, but for now they are holding a charge.  Thanks again for your wisdom and expertise.

Back
Top Bottom