testing the oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo100

Tested the oven today.

The temperature is only off by about 50 to 75 degrees..

But what I didn't expect was when the temperature got to the set point the flame didn't shut off...it just went into a low flame.

This was talked about on a different thread but was mentioned that the flame just shuts off....Well maybe not so much :) :)

Attachments

• IMG_low.jpg
    IMG_low.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_high.jpg
    IMG_high.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 24
It goes from HEAT to PILOT.  When the oven demands more heat the burner goes back to HEAT.  Remember, this has a pilot, NOT electronic ignition or DSI.

"The temperature is only off by about 50 to 75 degrees.." Try doing some research on adjusting the temperature I remember seeing it some place and it may be different for your oven.
I had a friend who used his oven quite a bit and he recommended a "Pizza stone to make the heat more uniforme.
"flame didn't shut off...it just went into a low flame" different make and model ovens vary in how they work.
Bill

grashley said:
It goes from HEAT to PILOT.  When the oven demands more heat the burner goes back to HEAT.  Remember, this has a pilot, NOT electronic ignition or DSI.

The pilot is what i expected it's in the back and heats the thermocouple. on mine the entire burn is still lite, but with a much lower flame.

WILDEBILL308 said:
"The temperature is only off by about 50 to 75 degrees.." Try doing some research on adjusting the temperature I remember seeing it some place and it may be different for your oven.
I had a friend who used his oven quite a bit and he recommended a "Pizza stone to make the heat more uniforme.
"flame didn't shut off...it just went into a low flame" different make and model ovens vary in how they work.
Bill

I want to wait until I get a better thermometer before I start adjusting but I did find directions.
pizza stone is on our list

There are two types of Thermostat controls for Ovens.
On works with a genuine pilot light. it turns the burner OFF when set temp is reached

The other turns it to "LOW" when set temp is reached  It may or may not have a pilot.

I"ve worked with both kinds (House had the 2nd, RV the 1st)

When the gas range was installed in the house the installers told me to once the temp was reached let the oven heat soak for 20 minutes before cooking anything.  I always thought that was foolish.  But the point is,  dont try to read oven temp for 20 minutes after it has reached set temp.  And YES a pizza stone makes a huge difference.  We have cooked everything from roasts to pizza in our RV oven.  Other than hard to light the pilot I have always been satiafied with cooking performance.

On our rig we have a Furrion oven and it goes from full flame to very small flame and back to full flame as it controls the temp.

RV ovens are small and poorly insulated, so they heat unevenly (often to extremes).  It's quite common to gave variations of 50-75 degrees inside, so you can move your test thermometer around and probably see substantially different temperatures. There may even be a spot that matches the temperature setting dial.  :)  I wouldn't worry about a better thermometer, though. You don't need to measure with a micrometer when your tool is an axe!

Using a pizza stone or similar to help even out the burner heat is usually a wise idea. Pre-heating for 10-20 minutes may help some as well.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
RV ovens are small and poorly insulated, so they heat unevenly (often to extremes).  It's quite common to gave variations of 50-75 degrees inside, so you can move your test thermometer around and probably see substantially different temperatures. There may even be a spot that matches the temperature setting dial.  :)  I wouldn't worry about a better thermometer, though. You don't need to measure with a micrometer when your tool is an axe!

Using a pizza stone or similar to help even out the burner heat is usually a wise idea. Pre-heating for 10-20 minutes may help some as well.

Good point on the variations I was using a cheap WM thermometer and I had it close to the door. I did preheat for well over 20 minutes. I may just let it be.
And will be adding a pizza stone. I just need to get measurements of the oven before I buy one.

Thanks Gary

We have a Magic Chef propane oven/range.  When I first light it I ignore the pilot light and go straight to the desired temperature.  I use what are called airbake cookie sheets which are nothing more than double sheets of metal with air in between the layers.  They're quite good at keeping things from burning - and they don't break.  I also use two oven thermometers and kind of average their temperatures to get what is probably a realistic temperature.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
We have a Magic Chef propane oven/range.  When I first light it I ignore the pilot light and go straight to the desired temperature.  I use what are called airbake cookie sheets which are nothing more than double sheets of metal with air in between the layers.  They're quite good at keeping things from burning - and they don't break.  I also use two oven thermometers and kind of average their temperatures to get what is probably a realistic temperature.
ArdraF

I know about airbake cookie sheets. We have them for the S/B but those are WAY to big for the TT. But I'll look into finding some smaller sizes.

Question on the pizza stone
The oven only has one shelf....So does the stone go on the shelf or does it go on the bottom of the oven?

Gizmo100 said:
Question on the pizza stone
The oven only has one shelf....So does the stone go on the shelf or does it go on the bottom of the oven?
I would also like to know this answer - anybody?

salty14 said:
I would also like to know this answer - anybody?

I put mine on the metal shelf to which the burner is attached. I bought this one. Expensive, but much heavier (weighs 11 lbs!) than the cheaper ones, and fits perfectly, as large as possible without blocking the holes. Made a huge difference in how the oven baked.

Attachments

• AAC9E736-278C-44DD-AA1E-2F21396331CD.jpeg
    AAC9E736-278C-44DD-AA1E-2F21396331CD.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom