Backup Camera follow-up question ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Per my post a few days ago, I was looking for a monitor for my Furrion backup camera system that came installed on my Keystone travel trailer.  I've fortunately found one on eBay so I'm ordering that.  Now on to question #2:

When travel trailers are pre-wired for backup cameras, is the camera's power source connected in such a way that it would have power if I'm connected to a shore line?  Or somehow is it typically only powered when plugged in to a towing vehicle?

A shore line supplies 120V AC so the camera system that is meant to be used while underway would not require that. (It could use the 12V supplied by the converter, but that output is connected to the batteries). Similarly, 12V from the tow vehicle should charge the same trailer batteries while underway when connected properly  (and not just to the tail/brake and running lights). In other words, it is most likely be powered from from the trailer 12V system. You will have to connect the camera video feed through to the tow vehicle though if that is where you expect to use the camera. I don't know how Keystone wired that camera output though. Perhaps a call to Keystone is in order.

I can't say for sure because I have a MH. 
But mine only comes on when the key is turned to the ignition setting.
Shore power has nothing to do with a 12V system's switch for a backup camera that I know of.

In other words it generally only works when plugged in to the tow vehicle.  Since
the monitor is most likely in the tow vehicle - why would you want the camera to work while your IN the trailer?

The camera is powered by 12v DC, so probably gets power from the trailer 12v system (batteries).  When plugged to shore power, your trailer charges the batteries, so the camera has continuous power available.  However, you typically would NOT want the camera on 24/7/365, so there is probably some way to switch it on/off. It's conceivable, though, that the camera gets powered from the center pin on the trailer-truck connector. That pin is an unassigned auxiliary function and is often used to activate back-up lights or similar, so could be used to power a camera as well. It all depends on what the Keystone folks thought was a coolidea - no standards at all.

I'm guessing there is a also connector somewhere that makes the camera signal available for a connection to the truck (for the monitor), but have no idea what they may be like. The wire or connection port will likely be unique to Keystone's camera system, cause to the best of my knowledge there is no standard or typical way that is done either.  You will face "interesting times" figuring that out. Good luck.

My trailer came with the wired Furrion  bracket. It is wired to the running lights. So to turn on the camera I have to turn on the headlights. Not a big deal for me. Without the truck connected the camera is off. I suppose I could change it to a hot wire elsewhere but I have no need at this point.

Some of the cameras mention using the camera as a security monitor. If that's your thought then you may need to check where yours is connected.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom