1996 Allison shifting problem with 25 cent fix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stckbrkr

I am new to the forum and was reading some of the Allison transmission threads.  I no longer have my RV, but I had a 1996 Allegro with Cummins and Allison combination.  The transmission began to shift oddly or not at all.  I was able to get it to shift by manually pressing the transmission controller pad.  I was out of town on a trip and stopped in a diesel truck shop.  They scanned it and told me something needed to be replaced (I don't remember what, this is 15 years ago) at a cost of nearly $2000.  I asked questions and got the fault codes. 

I went out to the RV and got on the internet and began searching.  The code had something to do with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).  I began to think about this.  TPS fault code..., but I was having transmission problems.  Thus, the throttle pedal and transmission MUST be linked somehow.  I crawled underneath and found the throttle cable.  I followed it to everything it physically connected to.  I found and followed all the transmission linkage.  The two did appear to intersect at one point.  However, there was a small rod hanging loose at this apparent intersection.  It turns out that a small C-Clip had broken and allowed this connection to fall apart. 

I went to an auto parts store, bought an appropriate C-Clip, installed it and never had another problem.

I hope this helps someone.

Congrats on finding the 25 cent solution.. Yes. often the problem is that simple.

I recall once my car started running very bad.. I pulled off. read ther code (The reader I had did not translate) called the mechanic who said "Off the top of my head that's an emissions code but I don't know which one.  I said Thanks. Popped the hood. Quickly found the vacuum hose that had disconnected and reconnected it and ON THE ROAD AGAIN.  Just like that.

Or course.. I will admit to expierence with that sensor in the past.

And Chevy put it... Well it's the first thing you see basically when you pop the hood though it was the "Hiddern" end of the hose that had come lose (THe sensor was mounted on the front of the top mounted air cleaner. Front and center)

Back
Top Bottom