A padlet for the rest of us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
For those of us having a tough time keeping up with this techno gizmo stuff, here's my next birthday present. I no longer need the grandkids to program the VCR.

Made me giggle but it's really a great idea. Really removes the clutter and gets down to the basics. And I love the name!

Aye Scott, I smile (respectfully) every time the ad comes on TV. Those of us who have been around technology for many years take it for granted, and kids growing up nowadays don't bat an eyelid.

The membership in our retired guys club is an interesting cross-section of the local senior community. Some folks don't have computers, and I've been to the homes of a number of members that do and need help. I was recently working with a retired airline captain to understand why he wasn't receiving our monthly newsletter (via email). He's clearly an intelligent guy but, when I started asking questions, he told me he'd never sent an email in his life, and didn't know how to read emails he'd received. We know that he worked with several avionics 'computers' during every flight, but a PC interface and a network connection were foreign to him.

Many years ago I gave my Dad a basic pocket calculator I'd put together from a kit; He couldn't put it down, and entered every item when they walked around the grocery store, so he could check the total with what the checkout register said.

On the flip side, several years ago Chris wanted to show the grandkids an old movie that we had on VHS; Our only VHS tape players were on the boat, so she walked them down the ramp, got on board and popped the tape in. The grandkids had never seen VHS tapes or a tape player, and asked "what is that?"

I really appreciate Consumer Cellular's marketing, and I mean that as a compliment in every way.
They've identified a market that nobody else is serving well, are developing products that are tailored specifically to that market, and are advertising them beautifully, with a tone of enablement, not fear.

That's not a bad idea for some of my older family that struggles with some of the new technology. Shoot, I like to think of myself as fairly tech savvy, but I don't use 50% of the features on my cell phone...

I looked into the Consumer Cellular.  Sounded like a pretty good deal...until I started asking about 20 or 30 gigs of data.  Guy I talked to said they didn't even have data plans that big.

Old_Crow said:
I looked into the Consumer Cellular.  Sounded like a pretty good deal...until I started asking about 20 or 30 gigs of data.  Guy I talked to said they didn't even have data plans that big.
Well, they are up to a 20 GB/mo. plan now, so they're getting there.  We've been with them for several years and our first data plan was 400 MB, and we chose the talk plan that had 250 minutes/month, knowing we'd never use nearly that much. Over the last few years they have increased those capacities, doubling here and there, for no increase in cost such that we now have 10 GB/mo. data and unlimited talk and text. Not only was there no cost increase, we didn't have to ask for the changes, either, with those increases automatically added to our plans.  At the rate they've been going, they might hit 30-40 GB in a year or so for their top tier plan.

And that GrandPad looks like a super deal, though we have no use for it, and I don't know its limitations, nor do we need even the 10 GB/mo. they've allotted us now, rarely using even 1GB, though on some trips we exceed that a little.

We figure that two lines with unlimited talk and text and 10 GB/mo. data is worth the $57/mo. we pay (includes all taxes and fees and a 5% AARP discount), no contract.

But we have a landline and cable internet at home, so the above is mostly used on the road, so it wouldn't fit everyone's needs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom