rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Price of LP gas  (Read 8359 times)

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
Price of LP gas
« on: July 02, 2007, 04:42:09 PM »
What is the typical price of LP gas that you all are paying right now?  I realize that prices are probably highly dependent on region, supply/demand in a certain area, and other economic factors... but I've never bought any yet and just want to know what's a great deal and what's getting ripped off.  ;)  Does it cost a certain amount "per pound" like gasoline is "per gallon" or is it usually a flat amount for a fill up?  My wife's uncle (has a Montana 5th Wheel) said that there was a place near Pharr, TX (where they stay in the winters) that had a Tuesday fill-up special price but that sounds like the exception and not the rule.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Shayne

• ---
Re: Price of LP gas
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 05:49:22 PM »
That probably is the exception.  Back in IL  whenever possible I try to fill My LP tank on the MH and at least 3 other tanks 20# ers an put them in the storage bay and extras. I usually try to find an FS Service  or large Propane company.  I try not to buy at the smaller shops due to prices.  JMO
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 08:51:39 PM by Shayne »
Old, Stubborn, Opinionated, Set in my Ways, and Independent,  IMHO

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 05:53:46 PM »
Propane is running almost $2 a gallon.  This past winter it run anywhere from $1.65 to $1.90 in Tx.  Most Flying J's have propane and with the Rewards card you get .05 off.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 06:42:51 PM »
If you are near or passing trhrough Missoula MT, Bretz RV advertises propane for $0.99/gallon
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 06:44:44 PM »
Last fill up, last month, was 24 gallon and 75 dollars
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 07:05:37 PM »
Last fill up, last month, was 24 gallon and 75 dollars

Yikes!  $3/gallon, amongst others mentioning LP at $2 and .99 cents.  I guess regional costs are even more varied with LP than they are with good ol' gasoline.  So LP is always sold in gallon quantities?  I thought my LP tank had a "pound" capacity listed, although gallons makes sense when talking about a liquid.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 07:31:21 PM »
The portable bottles are usually rated in pounds, but LPG is sold by the gallon.  There are approximately 4.5 lbs/gal. of LPG.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 08:33:08 PM »
Yikes!  $3/gallon, ...
That's what it cost me in SC in early May.
Frank
Florida

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 11:42:42 PM »
the only times I have seen propane above $3 a gallon is when they bring it to you.  That is why I always go to "them".
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 01:55:51 PM »
I see it many places, e.g. campgrounds and smaller outlets, for around $2.25-$2.95 per gallon. It can be considerably less in bulk places such as Propane dealers or high volume fueling stations. Much of the cost in dispensing propane is insurance and conforming with local regulations on training, fire safety regulations, etc., so a high volume dealer can amortize the high fixed expense over more sales.

Unless you have a propane generator,  you will probably use so little propane in a year that it won't be much of a factor in your budget. I paid $2.70/gal at a campground a couple months ago simply because we were there and I didn't want to make another stop to top up the tank for the summer. Could have got it for $2.09/gal in the next big city, but I only needed about 20 gal. Probably won't buy propane again until next spring, unless we do a lot of cold weather camping with no electric (the LP furnace can chew up quitea bit of LP too).
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 02:57:43 PM »
What is the typical price of LP gas that you all are paying right now?

Best price I've found in the Sacto/Roseville area is $3.00/gal. If I drive miles and miles to find a better price, I am using gas that I pay $2.97/gal. So prices in NCal are simply, high -- compared to other areas of the country.

My Propane Story:
On one my treks to Quartzsite, AZ, I found that bottled water was on sale at the Safeway in Parker, AZ at 50 cents/gal -- about 32 miles North on the 95. I bought 8 gallons and shopped SW which I usually do once or twice while in QZ. On the drive back to my rig in QZ my water pump started leaking. In order to get back to QZ I was forced to use all 8 gallons of drinking water to avoid having to get a tow. I needed drinking water, so had to buy several gallons at the grocery in QZ that evening at $1.56/gal.

Several days after that I began my trip back to NCal from QZ. Before leaving I filled my almost empty propane tank taking advantage of the local price of $1.14/gal. About half way between Needles, CA and Barstow, CA on route 40 (a very long lonesome stretch of highway) my right rear outside dually blew - tearing all the electric and propane lines from that wheel well. Was not able to get the propane lines fixed until I got as far as Los Banos, CA South of Stockton. They then refilled the tank replacing the $1.14/gal propane that was now on the CA high desert with $2.50/gal propane. :(

Have been following your posts, Scottdl, and am pleased to read how well you have taken the downside days of your life w/your new used MH. It's not all good stuff -- but, at least for me, the good days have certainly outnumbered the bad. ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 03:43:50 PM by Bob Buchanan »
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 03:31:35 PM »
my right rear outside dually blew - tearing all the electric and propane lines from that wheel well....  pleased to read how well you have taken the downside days of your life w/your new used MH.

Your story makes me wonder again about getting a service contract... but given our occasional (1-2 times a month during camping season) planned use of the MH it doesn't seem like a $100/month contract would make good sense.

And while I try to keep a positive attitude about everything, I still worry about future roadside breakdowns.  :(  I guess there's no way to completely avoid that possibility.

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 04:10:07 PM »
Your story makes me wonder again about getting a service contract... but given our occasional (1-2 times a month during camping season) planned use of the MH it doesn't seem like a $100/month contract would make good sense.

And while I try to keep a positive attitude about everything, I still worry about future roadside breakdowns.  :(  I guess there's no way to completely avoid that possibility.

The cost of a tow truck from Barstow on that breakdown between Needles and Barstow was $588. They drove to my location, put my spare tire on, and wired the electric and propane lines to keep them up out of the wheel well. My roadside is thru the same company as my rig insurance, GMAC. It cost me $2.00 per six month period of my overall policy. They reimbursed me for the full amount. Of course, I then had to pay out of pocket for the repairs -- plus for the cost of a new tire. So for sure I would always want road side service insurance before driving my rig.

Service contracts, OTOH, are a different story and up for discussion and personal preference.

I've had three of those "breakdowns on long lonesome highways" now, and have gotten my skill levels honed as a result. :) Keeping the chassis up to date on maintenance, a close watch on tires and tire maintenance, adequate cell coverage,  a 1/3rd tank of water plus a full propane tank, and an up to date road side service contract are my prerequisites for driving my rig.

This was one of the main reasons I dropped Cingular. Some say that they really don't need cell service because they don't stop that much in lower populated areas. My response is, "What happens if you break down?". I found bad coverage in West Texas, stretches in AZ, between Las Vegas and Reno -- plus even on the 5 in CA. I feel much more secure now with Verizon.

My other chunk of always there insurance is my Internet Sat dish. As long as I don't break down beside a tree that blocks the sky over Texas, I am in touch with the rest of the world. And even if a tree "is" in my way, I have 100 feet of cable and a tripod mount that I can set up on -- vs. my auto roof mounted dish.

Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 04:39:12 PM »
I found bad coverage in West Texas, stretches in AZ, between Las Vegas and Reno

Bob, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you still won't have coverage on that one stretch between Las Vegas and Reno.  There's NO cell coverage there and I can think of a few other places where that also is the case.  But, in spite of those blank spots, we still like our Verizon!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 06:33:22 PM »
$2.50/gallon
Keith

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 07:14:30 PM »

This is a bit off topic, but...
What sort of "service contract" were you considering, Scotty?  Roadside service contracts (towing, flats, etc) are about $100/year, not $100/month. Still maybe not worth your while for occasional trips, but nice for peace of mind.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 09:45:20 PM »
What sort of "service contract" were you considering, Scotty?  Roadside service contracts (towing, flats, etc) are about $100/year, not $100/month. Still maybe not worth your while for occasional trips, but nice for peace of mind.

Right right... roadside assistance I have through Progressive (no limits on towing costs, etc.) so that's covered.  I was talking about the extended warranty kind of contract that covers any mechanical failure on the coach.  The previous owner had such protection through Good Sam, and mentioned the $100/month price tag.

82corvette

• ---
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 11:38:54 PM »
I just had my 2 30# cylinders filled at the local farmers coop for $23.00 with sales tax. They charge by the pound & both were empty.
2012 Ram 1500 Crewcab Hemi,6spd. Auto,3:92 posi,Rambox, Airlift,B&W turnover hitch for future
2004 Jayco Eagle 308FBS Sold now looking
happy wife
mostly happy teen daughter
crazy Beagle named Shirley RIP

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 08:30:21 AM »
I just had my 2 30# cylinders filled at the local farmers coop for $23.00 with sales tax. They charge by the pound & both were empty.

That comes out to $1.82/gallon, not bad at all based on the other numbers posted here.

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
Bob:

Good to see you posting this week!   :D
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!