Why NOT use a dolly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John From Detroit

Well this morning I had a free (For me) lesson in why I do not want to tow with a dolly.

Just outsider my door a man was putting his brand new JEEP Compass Front wheel drive on his dolly.. He over shot. and ended up with all 4 wheels on the ground. the dolly under the frame between them...

Well with jacks and planks we got the front up but alas not enough traction to back the jeep onto the dolly Would have woked better if Id have had more lumber but I had to use about half my stock... Under the motor home)

Had to call a tow truck.. Thankfully the plank ramps I'd put in place allowed him to simply winch it back a few feet and onto the dolly properly.

But Well...  IT was fun and of course cost me nothign to learn (I like that) Cost them about 75 Bucks. (not bad could have been worse)

I noticed .. I've used U-Haul dollies a few tiems. they have a much taller "Stop" at the front of the ramp so it's harder to do what he did.

Oh well. I tow 4 down so not a  problem.  Way easier to hook up.

I have no problem with a ramp provided the stop at the end of it is good enough  That is the big problem with this dolly...

AND I FOUND THE PHOTO and I think i'v shrunk it enough to fit the forum attachment limit.

Attachments

• OOPS-Dolly_optimized.jpg
    OOPS-Dolly_optimized.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 108
Most dollys are built with wheel stops. On mine, you'd have to run that ramp pretty hard to do what he did.
Don't want folks dissuaded from considering a dolly based on this guy's heavy foot.

BinaryBob said:
Most dollys are built with wheel stops. On mine, you'd have to run that ramp pretty hard to do what he did.
Don't want folks dissuaded from considering a dolly based on this guy's heavy foot.

:)) :))  I agree 100%

And like car ramps, most sensible people have a watcher or like me, tall enough to lean out window and see front tire.

I used a dolly for a couple years before I got my CR-V that I can tow 4 down. I  never felt like I was in danger of driving over the front stops. I would go back to using a dolley if that was the only way to take a toad with me. Going without a toad reduces what you can go to and see by about 80%. Never leave home without it.
Bill 

The wheel stop on my MasterTow dolly was only about 2.5" tall, so not all that hard to power over if a foot slipped and hit the gas instead of the brake.Or maybe just missed the brake pedal.  It would have to be a mistake like that, though. No way could I have casually driven off the front of the dolly. It only takes a moment of inattention to screw up (which should be a warning to RVMommato6 and her 16 YO driver).

All the dollys I've seen have stops in the 2.5-3.0" range, so nothing that is going to stop the car if the driver goofs.

I agree with Gary. You can mess up flat towing just as easey. Did see what happens when you unhook your toad (towing 4 down) and don't put it in park or put on the parking brake. If it is a gentle slope you may be able to run and stop it. :eek:
That individual was extremely lucky it rolled away instead of crushing him between the car and coach. :p
Bill

Yes I have seen what happens when you do that. I've gone to leaving the safety cables attached. That way if it rolls away.. It don't go far.. Park before detach cables.  Usually before pulling pins since there is enough "Slop" in the park pin to let me step on a cable and pull the car forward a bit if I need to.

What I have found works for me is to start the car put it in drive till it takes up the play in the setup. Then put it in park. Now when you hit the release leavers you have slack and iit is easy to pull the pins out. That and the car is in park and not going anywhere.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom