31.9' tire to 33' tires with 3.55 gear ratio a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OE tire is 265/70 R17

• 31.9' tires or.......

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 33' tires

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rpmjem44

change to 275/60 R20 or 275/55 R20 is proper? Towing a 6,000 pound travel trailer on a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi Crew Cab. Any suggestion will help.  OE tire is 265/70 R17.

Nope. You won't have enough power to get  out of your own way and the brakes will be pushed beyonf their limits. The 33's will also require a body lift for adequate clearance. I bought a Ramcharger on 33's, hated them on the highway and couldn't tow my utility trailer with any kind of a load.

In the old days we used to have two sets of rear tires for our car...snow tires and regular tires. Plus sand bags in the trunk.

Get the new ones and keep the old ones. Would take about an hour to swap them out. 

You need to figure the overall tire diameter for a given size. To get that data, use a tire size comparator such as https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Plugging in the 276/6R20 vs 265/70R17, I get about 4.4% increase (1.4") in diameter. Your speedometrer & odometer will be off by that 4.4% and acceleration decreased slightly because the final drive gear ratio also changes by that amount. Depending on what gearing you now have, it may be a modest difference or very noticeable. If the existing tires are near the edge of the acceptable gearing range, changing tire size could ush it over. If near the center of the optimal range, then it's probably not a big deal.  This article helps determine how much effect to expect, but at the end of the day it is still subjective.  Some drivers are very sensitive to speed and acceleration changes, while others simply don't notice.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/07/30/tire-math-calculating-the-effects-of-tire-diameter-on-final-drive-ratio/

I have to ask why you want to change to 20"?  Is it strictly for the look or are you trying to adjust performance in some way?  Increasing tire diameter is generally a negative for hauling power, so you will want to weigh your priorities carefully.

My gear ratio is 3.55 and yes I've check the chart and the OE revs/mile is 638 and changing it to 275/55r20 make it to 632 and the 275/60r20 make it to 612....so which is better?

I'm confused. You stated 17" was OEM, but you are stuck with 20"?  Did a former owner switch to 20's?  In that case, choose the tire that yields the closest overall diameter/circumference & rpms/mile to the original tires.  That should put you near the optimum gearing.  From what you stated, it sounds as though the 275/55 is very near the OEM size (632 vs 638 revs/mile).  If it's really that close, no need to worry about 17" wheels in the future.

My 2009 Ram came with  275/60R20 tires.  My son's 2018 Ram came with 17" rims but the tire ODs are pretty close.  We considered trading wheels between the two trucks as my son wanted a more rugged tire tread for off road use.  But we decided not to switch due to the tire OD difference effect on MPH readings. 3% sounds about right.  That's not much and we may reconsider later.

Yeah the other owner changed it.... Yes the 55 is the closest I could get.... Look like I could only get the ko2
LT type and hoping they are good all around 

Yes... That I noticed lol.... Question.... What kind of LT tires handle the towing best and do I put 5 pounds of air in the rear more than the front when towing?

Not clear what you mean "What kind?".  The right kind are ones with a sufficient load capacity to carry the truck and its payload. And you put enough air psi in to carry that load (per the load inflation table for that tire model & size).

The original tire & loading data placard should show the gross axle weights at max load. The tires selected for each axle need at least that much load rating. Divide the max axle load by the number of tires and add 10%-15% to allow for side-to-side imbalance. That's the minimum load capacity needed per tire. Use the tire brands inflation tables to determine the minimum psi needed for that load and then add 5 or so psi to that to give some extra working room to handle temperature and load changes.

Same answer. Whatever brands are available that meet the qualifications.

I'd give serious consideration to Cooper, Hankook, Kumho, Bridgestone, and Continental.

Here are a number of choices in various price ranges:

https://www.discounttire.com/fitmentresult/tires/size/275-55-20?q=%3Aprice-asc&page=2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom