Temp winterizing questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samthetramp

Hey I'm currently at the intersection of Indiana, Ohio  and Michigan. I'm set up for the next 2 months but going home for a week and want to make sure I don't have any problems while I'm gone. I'm going to open my low point valves and blow any left over water out of the lines and drain my water heater. I'm running off the city water connection. My camper has a hose connection for winterizing but I've never used it as it's only 3 months old and I've been in it since buying it. I'm also going to leave my furnace on low.

What else do I need to do? They're forecasting single digit lows while I'm gone.

I would treat it s a FULL winterization.  I hate to say it's okay to leave heat on while gone that long, I just don't trust RVs the same as sticks n mortar.  You have too nice of a set-up to come home to a frozen mess.  Surely your RV came with a manual that gave recommendations on how to winterize.  For me, my little 20' TT, as you said works fine, and I still run pink stuff through the lines.  I know you are hooked to city water, do you have water in your fresh tank?  gray or black tanks? 

Holding tanks will be drained as well as hot water tank. Blowing lines out with air. Yeah I've got all of the manuals but they're less than they should be considering.

Thanks

Dump tanks. and add PINK to toilet(S) shower and sinks so the drain traps do not freeze.

That's about it. in fact that is really the best winterize.

INtersection of OH. IN and MI... HOw far are you from Coldwater MI???? (I grew up a bit north of there) .

And I may have a few "points of interest" for you.
Tekonsha... Home of Tekonsha Enginering  (Town I grew up in)
Marshall. Michigan's first and best Traffic-go Round. Christmas city. Home of Progressive Dynamics and Marshall Brass.  among other companies.

John my campers in Angola,IN and I'm working in Waterloo, Indiana. Don't really have time for POI since we're working 6 days a week. Day off is running errands.

As others have suggested I wouldn't consider this a "temporary" winterization, this should be a full winterization. And as SpencerPJ suggests I also would not trust the heater - a simple blown fuse and you have a huge problem. I know many rely on blowing out air lines but the only way I have felt 100% secure is using the pink anti-freeze

samthetramp said:
John my campers in Angola,IN and I'm working in Waterloo, Indiana. Don't really have time for POI since we're working 6 days a week. Day off is running errands.

Been to Angola a few times..  Nice area.

Since you are blowing out the lines, you do not use the winterizing hose connection. That's for sucking antifreeze into the water lines, but yo are blowing them out instead.

Things on the "don't forget" list (some may not apply to your RV):

1. Antifreeze in the sink, shower and washer/dryer P-traps
2. Water blown out of toilet valve
3. Water blown/drained from fridge icemaker valve
4. Macerator-type toilet drained

Will you be leaving the heat on? If not, get rid of any stored liquids in containers that can freeze, e.g. soda & water bottles, certain canned goods, etc.  Remember that you may have liquids in the outside storage areas too, e.g. detergents.

If the RV has a second toilet, it is probably a macerator (pump) type rather than simple gravity drop into the tank. The waste line needs to be protected.

What I did and will find out tomorrow if I messed up is this.
Drained and blew out the water lines, water hose, toilet. Bypassed and drained the WH. Filled the P traps & drains with antifreeze. Drained all tanks. Let the furnace on set to 55 so as not to waste LP when I'm not there. Everything from the city water thru the camper should be empty.

Hope I don't have any issues when I get back up there tomorrow. Florida was real nice.

Back
Top Bottom