Slide out Failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lm1071

This morning as we were just ready to hook up and pull out of the driveway, our slide out on our 2018 Cougar 22rbs stopped working. What we have done so far to resolve

1. There is power to the motor

2. We have re-spliced both sets of wires to make sure the connection is tight.

3. We have manually moved the slideout in to make sure it was not lodged.

4. When we checked for power at the motor with a volt meter a couple of times the slide out would work but only intermittently.

5. Obviously we are still under warranty but this trip will be a bust if we cant get it solved today or tomorrow am.

Any ideas?

Thanks

SeilerBird said:
Some RVs require the engine to be running before the slide will work.
I don't think it has a engine... ???
Might be careful what you do beyond checking battery charge and connections so you don't void your warranty.

This may be a dumb question....But is the TT plug in to power?

Pull the battery cables and thoroughly clean the terminals and cables. I had the exact same problem, which ended up being a poor ground connection. It looked good and the voltage was okay, but it wouldn't supply the heavy load required for the slide motor

BobNSam said:
I don't think it has a engine... ???
Might be careful what you do beyond checking battery charge and connections so you don't void your warranty.

No but Seilerbirds suggestion is still relevant because when hooked to the tow vehicle the trailer can derive some power and get a boost from the tow vehicles alternator.  To the OP if you have not already done so, try plugging your rig into shore power or a generator if you have one.  You should also check your batteries state of charge, because fully charged and properly functioning batteries are capable of operating slides.

WIthout knowing which slide out system you have it's hard to comment..

Most slide out systems have
ONE or more Safety Interlocks (On Motor homes) these require engine either be running or not
A key switch for Child Safety (Mine broke by the way)
A 3 position rocker or toggle (in/Out and center off)
A controller (Anybody know where on a 2005 Damon Intruder 377W they hid the @#$@# Thing?)
and finaly the motor

THere is no power to the motor normally.. Only when the switch calls for the controller to send power.

My controller died a couple years ago (We still have not located it) and the motor about a month ago (1600 dollars later....) I home brewed a simple controller. Works too .Has all of 2 parts (Well 4 since I used sockets).

Gizmo said:
No but Seilerbirds suggestion is still relevant because when hooked to the tow vehicle the trailer can derive some power and get a boost from the tow vehicles alternator.  To the OP if you have not already done so, try plugging your rig into shore power or a generator if you have one.  You should also check your batteries state of charge, because fully charged and properly functioning batteries are capable of operating slides.

With a dead battery, my slides would not work even plugged into my truck.  It takes shore power, or a generator.  Or a fully charged battery.  Or a jump starter device.

To me this sounds more like a switch or slide controller problem than a motor or wiring issue. Hard to guess without knowing the slide mechanism brand/model and some basic measurements at various points in the circuit.  If there is power at the motor at all times, it seems the slide controller works by switching the ground side. If so, that would be my next place to focus.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom