Oil Monitor - What is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geneagray

I have a 1990 Allegro Class A motorhome. Under the dashboard is an OIL MONITOR thing. the pic is sideways.
What is it and how does it work?
Please email me with an answer. Thank you so much. Gene

Attachments

• IMG_3867 (1).jpg
    IMG_3867 (1).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 70
THis is 99% GUESS.

But I recall a "instant Dip Stick" some years ago it had a bulb or button you squeezed or pressed and noted how long it took to return to "Rest"  if it popped back up promptly you were low on oil. if it took a while it meant the tube was sucking oil and you were good.

Another vehicle.. this one I actually owned.. Had an Electronic dip stick. if it got low the light came on.

Welcome to the forum Gene,

I don't have a clue as to what it does...But if John's idea's don't help. Try getting a picture of the back and more information.

Does it pull out push in or turn?

Good luck and let us know what you find.

The oil monitor was mage by Adjusto Equipment in Bowling Green Ohio.  A vacuum tube replaced the dip stick and the color of the monitor changed when the oil level fell below the end of the vacuum tube.  The company made shop tools, stool etc.  The last listed number I found for them was 800 543 4996. Haven't seen one of the oil monitors in years!

The picture is from a 1979 Popular mechanics....What's new for your car.

Here a explanation I found;

The knob at the helm is basically a vacuum pump. As long as the end of the tube/probe in the pan is submerged in oil, you can only pull the knob enough to see the green portion of the indicator. Once the oil level falls below the end of the probe, pulling the knob sucks air instead of fluid which allows the red portion of the indicator to appear alerting you that the oil level is low.

Pretty simple concept except for a couple of things; first I would not trust anything but the reading on the dipstick itself. Secondly, if any debris lodges itself in the capillary, it will give you a false reading. Since the blocked tube will act the same as being submerged in fluid by creating a vacuum when pulling the knob, one will think there is oil when in fact it may be empty. When I investigated the system I had to blow it out as it was full of debris from lying in the bilge. Lastly is the installation as I found in this particular case. I thought for the heck of it I would compare the length of the probe to the length of the OEM dipstick and the probe is actually longer! So in this particular install, the unit would only read empty long after there would be no indication on the dipstick itself. For it to work right, I'd prefer the end of the probe be close to the "ADD" mark on the dipstick so that the system would indicate ahead of time that you are LOW on oil not OUT of oil! Come to find out that the reason these were lying in the bilge is because the PO found out first hand that the reading was always wrong when compared with a dipstick. If left long enough, the oil level wouldn't even register on the stick but he was getting the thumbs up at the helm. All he had to do was cut the tube to the correct length and it would be fine.

I cleaned it all up and installed it to see if it worked, and sure enough it did. My buddy who owns the boat now is still deciding if he's going to keep the system or not. This was pretty cool...you learn something new every day!

And the link to the source. http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=8049

Attachments

• oil monitor.jpg
    oil monitor.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 28
Thank you for your extensive answer. Much more than I expected. I'll let you know if it works.
Gene

Now that I know what the OIL MONITOR is, I have decided that it doesn't work. The "plunger" pulls out of the housing.
So...I've decided to remove it.
I found out where it connects to the dipstick tube, but now I need a dipstick.

[size=10pt]Does anyone know how long the dipstick has to be?[/size]

I have a 1990 Allegro 30' Class A, with a Ford 460, and the dipstick tube is accessible from the front, under the hood.
Thank you, anyone, for a clue.
Gene

Redneck Method:  Assuming the oil level is correct now, stick a stiff yet flexible wire in the tube, and measure the distance from the top of the tube (marked on the wire) to the spot it got oiled.  That gets you close!  I am not sure how they are measured - to the full level or to the tip.

write down the Ford vin # and go to a local ford dealer parts department & see if they can order a new dip stick.  The Ford chassis may be a year or two older than 1990, the vin # will show chassis info and year.

Back
Top Bottom