Water droplets and condensation in master bedroom pop-out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rainiergirl75

Hello! I was moving some things around in my bedroom (in the goose neck part of my 5th wheel) and noticed some condensation on the wall near the floor. This is the interior wall of the pop-out, where my headboard is.

The floor seems dry, but looking around more I found some water droplets in the seem of the roof as well.

It poured rain several days ago, but has been dry and sunny for the past 3 days (but cold).

Someone told me this could be from my propane heat? Is this normal?

The rest of my 5th wheel is good. I checked. Not water/condensation anywhere. However, the rest of the 5th wheel gets much better airflow too.

Any suggestions on how to combat this? I don't want mold, and am REALLY hoping this isn't a roof leak.

Propane heater from the factory furnace doesn't add any humidity. Humidity will come from breathing, sweating, showering, cooking, and unvented fossil fuel heaters. The problem may very well be a leak, but if that area where you're seeing moisture is really cold, it could very well be high inside humidity. All this is said assuming you're using the fiver in cold weather. One help for humidity is make sure you run the exhaust hood when cooking, and run a vent fan while showering. A lot of folks keep a vent cover cracked open to provide a moisture escape. Running a dehumidifier is also recommended when winter camping. As far as a roof leak, ya' just have to climb up there and check out your caulking. If you have to add some caulk, make sure it's intended for use on RV roofs. Don't use any product containing silicone. All that does is make the situation worse, and really makes future sealing very difficult. Don't forget to check around the clearance lights to make sure they're sealed well. Roof leaks found on the inside is no indication of where a roof is actually leaking. Water can travel a long ways before it drops to a lower level.

If it is droplets on the ceiling, it is from condensation. You have to get the moisture of daily living (and heating if you have an unvented propane heater) out of the unit. We usually left a vent fan open all the time. A dehumidifier will do the job with less heat loss though.

Thanks! I am going to purchase a small dehumidifier for the bedroom and I bought a product to reduce moisture that I can place in my closet and bathroom to make sure those areas don't get damp. I do run my fan when I shower, but cover it when not in use. I am a fulltimer who lives in my RV. We just moved in a month ago, and are getting our first long stretch of freezing temps.

Rainiergirl75 said:
Thanks! I am going to purchase a small dehumidifier for the bedroom and I bought a product to reduce moisture that I can place in my closet and bathroom to make sure those areas don't get damp. I do run my fan when I shower, but cover it when not in use. I am a fulltimer who lives in my RV. We just moved in a month ago, and are getting our first long stretch of freezing temps.

How many are you? I would get a dehumidifier big enough to do the entire rig. Set it up on the kitchen counter with a hose running down the drain or set it up in the shower/tub.

Because silicone doesn't seal very well for long, and is a real chore to remove all traces of it to seal correctly later. Nothing sticks to silicone, even more silicone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom