Dometic refrigerator not cooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Noticed the temp was about 45? last night.  Turned on the electric this morning.  Our old Dometic stopped working on gas and a can of compressed air solved the problem.  Haven't tried that yet. 

I know it's getting gas since I can hear it when it's running.  In fact I heard it ignite twice during the evening.  Not sleeping great in the cold desert.  It does seem quite loud however. 

The Dometic is model #1292.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.   

So, the LP burner is running but the fridge isn't getting as cold as it should. If it does the same on electric, then the cooling unit is probably toast.

How cold is it  in the desert? LP fridges can lose their cooling capability if temps fall below freezing. There is no single outside temperature number where that happens, but at some pint the cooling unit may get chilled enough to interfere with the condense-evaporate-condense cycle that does the cooling.

Thanks for the reply Gary. 

Don't know for sure but it was 47? in the motorhome yesterday morning when I get up to turn on the heat.  The temps in the area have been in the low 40's but no where near freezing. 

Will check the temp after a few hours to see if it works on electric.  I'm also going to get my can of compressed air out and do a bit of maintenance. 

40's isn't low enough to cause the problem.

LP burner should be firing from all its orifices. Also make sure the air inlet in the gas delivery tube is clear - that could be the source of the noise you hear.

Opened outside cover and found yellow deposit on burner tube and an accumulation of yellow stuff beneath the burner. 

Another RVer we're with thinks the cooling unit is toast.  Photo attached.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Dometic  burner tube..jpg
    Dometic burner tube..jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 63
A little duct tape and some glue will make it good as new.

Well, those and a new cooling unit.

Thanks for posting the picture.

8Muddypaws said:
A little duct tape and some glue will make it good as new.

Well, those and a new cooling unit.

Thanks for posting the picture.

Muddy, what color duct tape do you think would be best?  ;) 

We're half way home.  I think I've got Maria half way convinced and I'm going to begin researching a new inverter charger, solar and possibly lithium batteries.  Hopefully the next half way she doesn't change her mind. 

I think I've got Maria half way convinced and I'm going to begin researching a new inverter charger, solar and possibly lithium batteries.
You won't be able to afford it after replacing the cooling unit.

The yellow powder is sodium chromate, the corrosion inhibitor used inside the cooling unit. It's presence on the outside is unequivocal evidence of a refrigerant leak and is not repairable. Replace the cooling unit or the entire fridge.

That is a great picture of what you don't want to see.  ;) When my refrigerator compartment looked like that I went with a new residential refrigerator. Cheaper than a new cooling unit and works better.
Bill

Only the grey tape would work.  A real man wouldn?t use any other color.  ;)

I?m thinking that by the time you do the electrical, cabinet, and other mods a residential install might end up costing more.  Especially if you pay someone else do it.  I haven?t actually done one but the cooling unit install looks pretty simple.  And you probably wouldn?t have to remove a window to get it in.

Not sure which way I would go.  Probably the best advice is to do whatever the spousal unit wants.

8Muddypaws said:
Only the grey tape would work.  A real man wouldn’t use any other color.  ;)

I’m thinking that by the time you do the electrical, cabinet, and other mods a residential install might end up costing more.  Especially if you pay someone else do it.  I haven’t actually done one but the cooling unit install looks pretty simple.  And you probably wouldn’t have to remove a window to get it in.

Not sure which way I would go.  Probably the best advice is to do whatever the spousal unit wants.

The electrical consisted of plugging in the refrigerator in the outlet that the old ice maker was plugged into. This is one is powered by the inverter. I added some trim to fill the gap. Had the delivery guys set the new refrigerator in place. Came in through the door. They had to remove the door from the refrigerator. I did install an aftermarket ice maker (same one Sears was trying to sell me) that cost me $150.00 less than they wanted.
Keeps stuff cold and makes lots of ice.
The final price was right at $500.00
Bill 

You definitely lucked out Bill.

Not all RVs have inverters, multiple batteries, ice makers, or a hole big enough for a residential.  I?ve been following the residential topics for years and all of those things have happened to someone.  (I read it on the internet so I know it?s true!)  ;)

What did you do to hold the refer in place while traveling and keep the doors from opening?  We had that happen once and got to smell sour milk for weeks.  It went right down the heater vent in our last fifth wheel.

The one thing that not many think about is the need to clean dust out of the heat exchanger once in a while.  .I have to clean our residential in our sticks & bricks a couple of times a year. 

Talked to Redlands RV today.  An Amish cooling unit installed, about $4,000.  A new Dometic installed is about $4,500.  Haven't heard from my guys here in L.A., but suspect it won't be much better.  A residential is definitely in our future.  I'm going to start a new thread on the replacement since I've learned a few interesting things since this all began. 

I just replaced a four door RV fridge with a French door residential (about 50% larger capacity). My total cost was less than $2,000 including installation. I have an inverter, but if I had to buy one it would add about $6-800.

Ernie

The description of the installation is elsewhere here.

Talked to Redlands RV today.  An Amish cooling unit installed, about $4,000.  A new Dometic installed is about $4,500.

Pshew! That's robbery - were they holding guns when they gave that quote?  What model Dometic is it?

The most expensive "Amish" unit for a Dometic is about $1200 and the labor shouldn't exceed 5-6 hours, so even at RV shop prices I would expect a total of around $2200. Maybe as much as $2500, but not $4000!!!

Consider DIY - it's actually not difficult and needs no special tools. The new cooling unit just bolts on.  Or maybe hire a mobile RV tech to install after you buy the part yourself.
https://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-Cooling-Units-Amish-Built-Brand-new-C4436.aspx?sid=298

Back
Top Bottom