Attaching wheels to an aluminum boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Looks like I might be the next owner of a small aluminum boat. I was thinking of attaching a couple of wheels to the transom and loading the boat on top of the Suburban. This would help the withdrawal symptoms while we're on the road and near a lake. The wheels would help with launching the boat. Has anyone attached wheels like this? What wheels and where did you get them? How did you attach them to the boat?

TIA.

Tom  a guy back in ILL mounted 2 plates,  One on each side of the rear and mounted a bracket much like a trailer swivel jack,  He had attached Roller wheels to the end of the bracket and would swivel them down when rolling the alum boat.  When he brought in back to the car he would put them up as he did in the  water and place the boat on top of the unit upside down.  It worked for him.  It's just a thought.

Thanks Shayne. Good idea to have the wheels fold up out of the water.

The wheels I've seen on small boats were mounted on the top of the transom, so the boat could be rolled upside down.  They stay out of the water that way too.

Ned said:
....so the boat could be rolled upside down.

But everything would fall out of the boat  ???  The wheels, unless they're detachable, might also get it the way of storing the boat upside down on top of the Burb. OTOH if they were detachable, topside would make sense if I can get Chris to carry the fishing gear, ice chest and other junk down to the water.

The ones I saw were on dinghies at the yacht club, so they weren't used to carry lots of gear.  Just roll down to the launch ramp and row out to the boat.  They're stored on racks so no concern about car tops.

Understood Ned and I believe I've seen those too. But we're not planning on RVing at a local yacht club. When we're camped near a lake or other body of water, I'm usually wishing I'd brought along the bass boat, but that of course would severely crimp our mobility.

My "stuff would fall out" comment was, of course, made in jest. Top of the transom just might make the most sense, especially if I make them removable.

Just a piece of 2" pipe welded to a plate on the sides with maybe 1 1/2" thinwall for shafts and wheels on the bottom  That way with use of a slip pin you could remove them and store in the boat while on water.  You could carry an O/B Motor and a troweling motor/battery  along in Burb and have a grand ole time.

That would work too Shayne.

You could carry an O/B Motor and a troweling motor/battery  along in Burb..

Yes, an electric trolling motor and battery would work fine. I had a "spare" trolling motor, but Chris gave it away!

Tom said:
That would work too Shayne.

Yes, an electric trolling motor and battery would work fine. I had a "spare" trolling motor, but Chris gave it away!

As you know I have an electric trolling motor on the front of my boat.  I am really glad we got it.  sure makes it nice not having to listen to the gas engine running while trolling.

Agreed Ron. I have one on the front of the bass boat, but it's permanently installed and way too much effort to switch between boats. The one that Chris gave away was a clamp-on one that was ideal for hanging on the transom.

LOL Ron. If I spend more than $50 it will be more than the boat is worth.

How dare her getting rid of GOOD JUNK, yo never know when a man needs it. LOL

It sure wasn't junk Shayne. It was a darned good trolling motor and only a couple or three years old. A replacement will run around $800  :(

Since Chris gave it away, how about replacing it with some Chris-powered oars :D

Ouch   but it was good  for you but junk to her and she got rid of it LOL I had a twin prop Electric on a small Seacrest  boat that I loved.   Had a souped up 18HP Evinrude also on it and Wife said when I sold the rig she saw tears in my eyes.  But it's always good to have an electric troller just for the heck of it , cause you never know when you want to use it.

Tom said:
LOL Ron. If I spend more than $50 it will be more than the boat is worth.

But it isn't your fault Chris gave YOUR boat motor away.  Maybe she should buy you the replacement of your choice. ;D ;D

Ron  Hope you got a couple of steaks for those eyes of yours when Chris catches up with you  LOL  I wasn't brave enough to make that kind of statement and tried to slither around it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom