Attaching wheels to an aluminum boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shayne said:
Ron  Hope you got a couple of steaks for those eyes of yours when Chris catches up with you   LOL  I wasn't brave enough to make that kind of statement and tried to slither around it.

Hopefully Chris will either forget or forgive before she sees me again. ;D ;D

Tom,

This is on ebay right now, could it be what you are looking for? http://cgi.ebay.com/BOAT-CANOE-DOLLY-CARRIER-DUCK-HUNTING-JON-BOATS-FISHING_W0QQitemZ330142722570QQihZ014QQcategoryZ87089QQcmdZViewItem

Tom  if you used the swivel method, you could have them a little long then the depth of the boat and then you could put the trolling motor and the battery plus your gear in the boat the 3rd wheel of some sort on the front and roll the whole thing down to the water, thus saving extra trips.  Just a thought.

Thanks folks. I'm getting some good ideas.

Tom,

Terry attached some wheels to the back of our Achilles inflatable boat. They  were after market things.   They work well to launch the boat and when submerged in water they flip up so as to be out of the water but still attached to back of boat. I'm not sure how they would work on an aluminum boat but it should be the same.
Betty

Attachments

• Achilles3 (Small).JPG
    Achilles3 (Small).JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 27
  • P7200008 (Small).JPG
    P7200008 (Small).JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 27
  • P7200009 (Small).JPG
    P7200009 (Small).JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 24
Betty,

They would work fine! Any chance Terry remembers where he bought them?

TIA.

Tom said:
They would work fine! Any chance Terry remembers where he bought them?

Tom,
Neither of us can recall where we got the wheels but I just went out in the storage shed and  pulled out a wheel, (boat is now folded up)  It says

Happy's Wheel-a-Weigh
Idea Development Company
83 Idea Place
Sequim, WA 98382

on the side of the wheel.  We may have purchased it from the dealer who sold us the Achilles boat or maybe ordered it on line. A google search of Happy's Wheel-a-Weigh  got me to a site offering them.

Hope this helps,

Betty

Thanks Betty! Found them, but they're $147/pair. This boat is (hopefully) a freebie and I was hoping to spend next to zero on it  :(

Tom - I have a spare clamp-on trolling motor and if you ever get this far East, I'll sell it cheap and take you fishing to boot.

Bought it as an emergency replacemant when visiting #2 son in Orlando earlier this year and my bow mount motor quit on me.  It has all of 3 hours running time on it and has been hanging in a dry shed except for the week I used it.  Clamp on and aligator clips to hook to the battery.

Newt,

What's the lbs force rating on that motor? Which brand?

The boat is in my back yard - drifted in one day. I've been trying hard to find the owner and even called the local Sheriff who sent out their marine division to take a look. They told me that, if I've taken reasonable steps to find the owner and came up blank, the boat is mine. There's some process I have to go through with the DMV to obtain registration. I'd honestly prefer the owner claim his/her boat but, if not, it's mine.

I suppose I could claim salvage  ???

Thanks for those links Ron. One bugaboo with the Easy Boat Loader/Rack System is the fact that the Burb doesn't have gutters. I'll research the other option. Thanks again.

Does the Burb have rails If I recall correctly one of those systems can be installed on vehicles like ours that have no gutters.

Yes, the Burb has rails and a rack, but no gutters. The Easy Loader requires gutters.

FWIW I have a set of the attachments for gutters, courtesy of a friend, neighbor and forum member. But there's nothing to attach them to.

Tom said:
What's the lbs force rating on that motor? Which brand?
At work right now but from memory, Minn Kota 30lb.  If that is wrong, I'll correct later after I eyeball the motor.

Good little unit with an extendable handle but way too small for routine use with my boat.  I junked the old motor and picked up a nice 65lb Minn Kota from BassPro when I got home.  I'm a real fan of that brand since they give me more hours on a batter charge than otherwise and I have a pretty fat boat that needs some thrust to move it around.

Still and all, the wide beam and high sides are nice when the weather gets nasty and I don't need the speed you can get with a bass boat.  I'm more of a catfish guy.

Thanks for the info Newt.

I had a 46lbs Minn Kota on the old boat (that's the motor my wife gave away) and I have a 43lbs MotorGuide motor on my current bass boat. I can honestly say that I haven't noticed any difference in how long they run on a battery charge, at least not until I doubled the battery capacity on the bass boat. Logically, the thrust is proportional to current, so there shouldn't be any reason for one motor to draw more current than the other, except for the small difference in thrust of these two motors.

That aside, if I were buying/specifying a new trolling motor I'd probably go with Minn Kota, although there's no logical reason for the choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom