Really? Is towing and cargo capacity that important?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IBTripping

Just wondering. What's the worst that can happen?
Edit: removed duplicate attachment.

Attachments

• Towing capacity exceeded.jpg
    Towing capacity exceeded.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 178
But my towing capacity is 15000 pounds..Must be a defect from the factory.

Bjwinspect said:
Wow!...Ok, I will be the first to ask... what do you know about why happened ?

Just did an Internet search on towing overload and found an article about not doing it along with the pic. No explanation about the pic. But, I think the pic pretty much tells the whole story. The owner really screwed up. The camper is too big for the truck and then he added a very heavy tongue weight trailer.

if that camper is too big for that pickup truck.....what truck was it made for ?

sightseers said:
if that camper is too big for that pickup truck.....what truck was it made for ?

I was thinking the same thing. I'd guess he'd be relatively near gross with the camper but unless he had a hitch weight of two tons or more I can't see that happening. Seems like a lot more going on there than a simple overload. Would take an awful lot to bend the frame of a dually like that.

I doubt the camper is too big for the truck as it looks like a drw which means it is at least a one ton, unless he has significantly over loaded the truck and truck camper.  It looks like the real culprit may be the trailer which is likely adding way too much tongue weight or a combination of both.  It could also be a failure in the truck, but we just do not from the picture alone.  What is clear though regardless of the real cause of this, bad things can happen when towing and payload capacity are exceeded and simply not worth the risk. 

One with a greater payload.  Just because it's a one-ton model doesn't mean it has a huge payload, and big truck campers can run north of 4500 lbs with liquids on board.  Personal gear would drive it up even further.
At a guess, that combo exceeded both the GVWR and GCWR.

I wonder if that dingbat was trying to back that heavy ass trailer up a hill.. :eek:

Oldgator73 said:
I see the reason for the catastrophic failure as not one of overloading but as one of manufacture. The truck is a Ford.

It may be time to lock this thread...Cuz them fighting words.. ;D ;D ;D

Must be one of those fancy new "direct-to-road" weight distributing hitches.  ;)

Oldgator73 said:
Just raggin on Ford owners. ;)

Well I guess if they had used a Nissan Frontier they would be OK....They never would have been able to leave the house ;D

Gizmo100 said:
Well I guess if they had used a Nissan Frontier they would be OK....They never would have been able to leave the house ;D

A Nissan Frontier owner wouldn?t have been so stupid to try to tow that much. Seems the Ford owner does not know his/her limits.  ???

Back
Top Bottom