Really? Is towing and cargo capacity that important?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldgator73 said:
Seems the Ford owner does not know his/her limits.  ???

This coming from the man who stays in trouble with his wife ;D ;D ;D

Oldgator73 said:
Don?t most of us stay in trouble with the wife?

I never get in trouble with the Dice....OH wait you said Wife ...Never mind....... if I make her mad I'm going to look worse than that truck :eek:

Joezeppy said:
Always on the cutting edge of technology, Ford introduces their new articulating frame for easier loading of the bed and entry into rear-door campers.

PopPop51 said:
Must be one of those fancy new "direct-to-road" weight distributing hitches.  ;)

Well I'll be... what will they think of next!!??  ??? ;)

The whole problem is that grossly extended length tongue  8)

What is it with you getting along with your wives???  I can have one affair OR I can hit her once.

If I ever use that option, I will find everything I own strewn across the front yard within a couple hours - and all locks changed, too.

grashley said:
What is it with you getting along with your wives???  I can have one affair OR I can hit her once.

If I ever use that option, I will find everything I own strewn across the front yard within a couple hours - and all locks changed, too.

I get along fine with the wife. Especially since that Bobbit guy hit the news.  :'(

grashley said:
The whole problem is that grossly extended length tongue  8)

Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true ;D
My wife is a HUGE Chicago Bears fan...In their last game they were screwing up so bad  I didn't speak for 4 hours...But other than that she a good woman and she puts up with my bad jokes...

Apparently the rest of the world doesn't think the rated cargo capacity is that important either....  :D

https://naijauto.com/market-news/hilarious-pictures-of-overloaded-vehicles-731

Attachments

• 864E9480-613E-44D7-84E0-B14DC71EC961.jpeg
    864E9480-613E-44D7-84E0-B14DC71EC961.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 22
one of my favorites.. 

.....  'Helmet laws' ........eh  ;D

Attachments

• baby in a bucket.jpg
    baby in a bucket.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 22
The problem in that photo is not towing capacity but hitch weight. The Tongue weight was too much due to the long extension he put on because of the truck mounted unit.

Still. To talk to the subject
YES. it is.

OH. and though not that SPECIFIC issue.
I have seen a case of it.. On Telegraph Road in Detroit. about 2 blocks from my house .. Welder was working on the coach that had a long hitch extensio and a cargo tray welding it all back together.. IN THE MIDDLE OF TRAFFIC.  Not safe

Exactly.....the leverage was compounded by the additional length of the hitch set-up. We also have no idea how the trailer was loaded.....if it were quite tongue-heavy, it will make matters worse. Not at all surprising that the frame failed!

Memtb said:
  Exactly.....the leverage was compounded by the additional length of the hitch set-up. We also have no idea how the trailer was loaded.....if it were quite tongue-heavy, it will make matters worse. Not at all surprising that the frame failed!

Looks to me like the hitch ball is located in the normal position at the truck's rear bumper and the trailer tongue is extended to reach in beyond the camper.  If anything, extending the trailer's tongue in this manner would reduce the weight on the hitch compared to a shorter tongue.

Doing it the other way around, putting the extension on the truck so the hitch ball is behind the camper, would indeed increase the leverage the hitch weight had on the truck frame.  But that's not what I see here.

Lou Schneider said:
Looks to me like the hitch ball is located in the normal position at the truck's rear bumper and the trailer tongue is extended to reach in beyond the camper.  If anything, extending the trailer's tongue in this manner would reduce the weight on the hitch compared to a shorter tongue.

Doing it the other way around, putting the extension on the truck so the hitch ball is behind the camper, would indeed increase the leverage the hitch weight had on the truck frame.  But that's not what I see here.

I'm a little confused as to why it would reduce the weight on the hitch. ???

I would think the weight would be the same plus the weight of the added metal to build the extension.

steveblonde said:
Saw a similar thing in SD this summer. A F250 with a triple axle GD 5er

Would that be because a F250 frame is so much smaller than the F350 frame is.....  ???

Gizmo100 said:
I'm a little confused as to why it would reduce the weight on the hitch. ???

I would think the weight would be the same plus the weight of the added metal to build the extension.

it has to do with the leveraged-weight-point distance.. from the truck's rear axle. 

Back
Top Bottom