Hot Water Tank Rusting - Anode Rod Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LTWinnebago

My Winnebago is my second RV, my first was a used Sunseeker Class C.  That anode rod port was a bit rusted and nasty, so installing the anode rod each season, even with teflon tape proved to be a bit challenging.  I ended up purchasing a tap of the correct dimension to carefully clean the threads on the hot water tank.  This worked great and the installation of the anode rod was much easier.

Moving to the Winnebago (new), after the first season, I noticed that some rust was forming on the threads on the HWT. I didn't want to go through the same issue of re-tapping (cleaning), the threads each year.  Being a home brewer, I use a food grade lubricant to seal the keg gaskets to keep the CO2 from leaking from the kegs. (Need a way to store a keg in the rig)

So, I decided after removing the anode rod at the end of last season, I dried the thread area as well as I could and applied the keg lubricant to the threads.  Moving out of storage a few weeks ago, a teflon taped new anode rod and its' installation was neat and slick, no rust or problems.

(I am chuckling trying to avoid innuendos that may be a little off color)  But, this product is food grade and doesn't appear to cause any problem with the HWT or it's operation.  There are a number of these product available online, search beer making sites will produce many results.

I attached a photo of the product I use, as I said there are many others out there.

Attachments

• keglub.jpg
    keglub.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 17
One thing to note is that the anode should not have the threads completely taped with teflon as it has to touch metal to metal in order to work properly.

Alfa38User said:
One thing to note is that the anode should not have the threads completely taped with teflon as it has to touch metal to metal in order to work properly.
NOT!
Apparently you either have no idea how teflon tape works or your using way too much.  Teflon tape is nothing more than a thread lubricant in a convenient package.  Use no more than two wraps.  When fitting is screwed together the teflon tape is rubbed apart lubricating the threads and leaving bare spots for metal to metal contact.

Initially, I thought it was an Atwood, but no, it's a Suburban. 

Gary RV_Wizard: Notice you Summer in Black Mountain, NC.  We spent a little time there last Spring, actually loved the village, the Hardware Store, restaurants, etc.  Really nice place, the downhill leaving the Mountain was a bit of a trip in the rig! 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I wasn't aware that Winnebago used Suburban heaters. Those I've seen or heard about all had Atwoods (no anode).

Is Winnebago using Surburban now???

In my experience Winnebago uses Atwood water heaters, and they should never have an anode rod in them ... Atwood warranty is voided with use of an anode rod. 

Using an anode rod could be the very cause of the corrosion you are seeing. Atwoods use a nylon/plastic plug.

We love Black Mountain - our 5th summer there coming up. 2 in the coach and soon our 3rd in a cottage right in the village just off Lake Tomahawk.  We are on a first name basis with several of the bar tenders and servers.  ;)

Bought this new, HWT had anode rod installed, just opened my service manual, specific to my rig and VIN#, HWT = Surburban, instructions on how to install the anode rod, along with photos of a good and worn rod.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
We love Black Mountain - our 5th summer there coming up. 2 in the coach and soon our 3rd in a cottage right in the village just off Lake Tomahawk.  We are on a first name basis with several of the bar tenders and servers.  ;)

Sounds like you spend allot of time in the bars.  :eek: ::) Shame on you.  :'( ;D ;) 

Back
Top Bottom