Leaking toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
My friend has a Dometic toilet Model 210.It's 11 years old.  He's had a water leak for a while. When he rocks back and forth, (he weighs about 275) water appeared to be coming out from around the front of the toilet at the floor area. I got down today and removed the front portable cover. It looks like the water is coming from the joint held together with a large hose clamp.  The clamp holds 2 half pieces in place which join the toilet halves. I called Dometic and they said that the half pieces have to butted up to each other and then tighten the hose clamp. Initially, the halves had a 3/4" space between the ends. I did what they said and I think it did slow the leak down somewhat but it's still leaking a little. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

I can't help with your specific problem, but would like to point out that a new Dometic 310/320 is under $200 from PPL, Amazon, etc., sure it is not as well built as the 210, or at least not as repairable, but at the price it is certainly an attractive option.    I replaced a 15 year old Thetford with a Dometic 320 in my coach last year, overall performance has been great, though it did take some time to get used to the 2 stage pedal.  If it were to fail in some difficult / impossible to repair manner tomorrow I would feel I had got my monies worth and buy another just like it.

I don't have experience with the 210, but if it is assembled similarly to the 310, you might be able to take it apart and determine what needs attention. 

My 310 halves are connected via screws which go up through the bottom half and into nuts which are in the top half.  After I took mine apart, I found a seal which was the problem, but there are no seals for it available.  I used plumber's putty instead, and it worked great to stop the leak.  I would still be using it, except for the fact that I decided to upgrade to the 320 for other reasons.

The 210 may be completely different, so it may not be feasible to repair it in this way, but it might be worth a try.....as a last resort.

We are having some of the typical Thetford issues with one of ours. I have researched Thetfords and Dometic 300 series. If I were just keeping an RV for a couple of years, then trading/selling, I would go with either one, but lean towards the Dometic 310. If I were keeping the RV for the long run, a Sealand 510 would be my choice. They're more expensive initially, but seem to be a better toilet overall. BTW, Sealand is now part of Dometic. If looking at a Sealand, pay particular attention to the mounting. They are available with two or four bolt mounting.

Back
Top Bottom