Inspection/apprasal on an older class A? where can you find one out of town?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwhiz

We are looking for an older class A. We looked at a 1999 38ft Monaco Windsor diesel, we do not think this is the one because of the red flags, multiple owners, no records, 10 yr old tires all made us think twice. but it ran well both engine & generator every thing looks like it works, so we kept looking just to see because this RV had everything. so much so we got overwhelmed by not being able to check things with confidence like the furnace or heat strips, zone 1&2, air pump system, jack brake. all new to us. We did not know how to check it all out. we have had campers & a class C but think we need help.
So I told the guy I wound need to get it checked out by a RV inspector/Appraiser. He was OK with that. I tried to find one we 2hrs from Dallas 2 hrs from Texarkana . no one near here only one camper place say they can check out the house side only.
Anyway whats a newbie do in over our head on the Class A bells & whistles. So when we see the RV we think we want what can we do lost in the the woods in east Texas

You might try mobile RV techs for the house. For the chassis you'll need to take it to a Freightliner, Cat or Cummins shop and have them go through the chassis, including transmission, engine, coolant and rear end samples sent to the lab, plus oil and coolant samples from the genset.

Back2PA said:
You might try mobile RV techs for the house. For the chassis you'll need to take it to a Freightliner, Cat or Cummins shop and have them go through the chassis, including transmission, engine, coolant and rear end samples sent to the lab, plus oil and coolant samples from the genset.

What he said....Welcome to the forum mwhiz

Try checking with NRVIA.org (national RV inspector association), their headquarters is in Athens, Texas, though the independent inspectors are all over the country.

tried the NRVIA.org web site no inspectors near me. only mom & pop diesel/gas repair no RVs as well as camper only service around here. May try the consignment sales. Any one ever used PPL out of Houston TX or POPs RV?

Shouldn't be too much problem finding someone to inspect in Texas.  A mobile diesel repair shop would be a start.  But from my own experience I would not give too much weight to an inspector.  I used an inspector just south of Dallas, I would not use him again.  My question is what is the asking price?  Is it the floor plan that you want?  How much electronics onboard?  Is it a Roadmaster chassis, I think it is, I have found very few shops that will work on them.  Most of the electronics will be not only be outdated but probably long out of production.  10 year old tires need to be replaced.  Do you have enough funds reserved to fix any surprises?  How are the batteries?  There is a dealer in Alvarado, MHSRV, might be a place to start. Plenty of used class A's out there.  Odds are a 20 year old house on wheels is going to need something, it's just a question of how much it's going to cost to keep it rolling.

I agree, what town are you in / near, there should be at least one, likely more than one NRVIA level 2 inspector within 100 miles of just about anywhere in east Texas.

mwhiz said:
We are looking for an older class A.

Hello  Mwhiz ,

I would send you a private message but because you are still so new to our RVForum (under 5 posts) I am unable to do so.  We  have a  1999 Country Coach Magna about to  be put on the market.  We are in Yuma, AZ and you can send me an email by clicking  on the icon beside my name with any questions if you may have an interest. Original owners with EVERY service record.
Betty Brewer

Mwhiz,  you might want to check out that CC Magna.  Very nice coaches.  Our final picks came down to the Dynasty and a Magna. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom