Looking for a 12 volt light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
We have our table inside a slide out. Above the table is a row of cabinets. Under one of them is a light similar to this light:
https://tweetys.com/double-repl-dome-light.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp70892&sc_intid=70892&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk_2y8Jvx3wIVF8DICh2r2QCbEAQYASABEgITQPD_BwE

I did change the bulbs out with Led Bulbs but it still isn't very bright. Any one have any recommendations for some type of long light which will put out allot of light and would still be good looking. I have the same issue over our couch.  I have a space of 40" for a light.

Thinking outside the box a bit...
Pull the fixture for easier access.  Remove the guts including most electrical components.  KEEP THE SWITCH!  Install LED strip lighting inside the fixture, wiring the strip to the switch.

Add as many strips as will fit.  Use brighter strips like 5050s for more light, or use double density strips.  Go with daylight instead go warm white color LEDs.  The current diffusers will soften the look.

I replaced florescent tubes in a bathroom light with great results.  I used left over 2835 LEDs, warm white with about 2 ⅔ strips the length of the fixture.  Light output is equivalent to the old lamp.

I do have pics if they would help.

grashley said:
Thinking outside the box a bit...
Pull the fixture for easier access.  Remove the guts including most electrical components.  KEEP THE SWITCH!  Install LED strip lighting inside the fixture, wiring the strip to the switch.

Add as many strips as will fit.  Use brighter strips like 5050s for more light, or use double density strips.  Go with daylight instead go warm white color LEDs.  The current diffusers will soften the look.

I replaced florescent tubes in a bathroom light with great results.  I used left over 2835 LEDs, warm white with about 2 ⅔ strips the length of the fixture.  Light output is equivalent to the old lamp.

I do have pics if they would help.

Pictures may help Gordon. Thanks.

Better LED's would be my suggestion

That lamp normally comes with a 1141 (I think) but a brighterr bulb exists (1336 1136 not sure0 it is so bright ... and hot... it will melt the fixture so do not use it. but the LED equivlent id good.

If you want BRIGHT I'd go with Eco-Led's from your local RV store. EXPENSIVE at 20 bucks a pop but the COOL WHITE are ...... BRIGHT....

Others here may have alternative as bright suggestions.. (Sorry I don't)

I have a bunch of LED lamps. all claim to be the equal of a 25 watt incandescant. Some make decent night lights (4 watt equivlent) the ECO's are actually closer to 30 to 35 watt equivlent.

Presumably that fixture is designed for 1141 bulbs, meaning a Ba15S base. There are many varieties of Leds that have that base and lumen (brightness) ranges from around 95 to 400.  Without knowing what model/lumens of Led you now have, I can only guess at a brighter one.  You can also get more apparent brightness by selecting a direction bulb, i.e. one with all the Leds pointing  one way.  Those will be throw more usable than an omnidirectional  type that relies on the fixture to reflect much of its light.

Here is one site that offers a wide variety of Leds in that type of base.  It's probably not the cheapest, but they do offer a money-back satisfaction guarantee.

http://www.rvledbulbs.com/category-s/36.htm
For reference, a new incandescent 1141 produces about 270 lumens, but it soon deteriorates to somewhat less, around 250. A directional, 300-400 lumen Led ought to be substantially brighter.

The bulbs I replaced were the wedge style bulb #921. The LED's are only on one side and all the light is directed downward and they are still not very bright.
https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Trailer-Motorhome-Ceiling-Interior/dp/B0761TSXF4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547661107&sr=8-3&keywords=bulb+921+led+replacement

I found these 2 on line. Any comments will be appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CJ634KK/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7WC9Q8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07F7WC9Q8&pd_rd_w=dNKuV&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=6MKR3&pf_rd_r=74AEC4XVEBSHQPHCE049&pd_rd_r=067e2300-19b7-11e9-a3ab-c13fc89acce1

If your taking vote I would favor the 2nd link.

But question remains will the footprint of the current light need to covered by the replacement light. Due to fading or current screw holes,

Gizmo100 said:
If your taking vote I would favor the 2nd link.

But question remains will the footprint of the current light need to covered by the replacement light. Due to fading or current screw holes,

It's 3" wide and I'm thinking it will cover 1/2 of the screws whereas it's nearly 3" wide. The remaining holes won't be visible because it's 1" high or thick. I was even thinking about maybe using both lamps side by side.

Rene, several negative reviews commenting that 1 or more didn't work out of the box. Also, even the positive reviews comment that they're not that bright which seems to be what you're looking for. Just FYI

LED strip lights require a 12 VDC source.

Here are 2 pics.  One is light on with diffuser cover in place.  One is light off so you can see the LED strips.  Clearly room for more LED if I wanted more light output.

Attachments

• P2250391.jpg
    P2250391.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 32
  • P2250395.jpg
    P2250395.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 16
Here is a standard fixture made for 18 inch florescent bulbs that I put 6 LED strips into.

We did several of these type conversions at Q a few years ago.

Attachments

• r20171113_003737.jpg
    r20171113_003737.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 19
  • r20171113_003720.jpg
    r20171113_003720.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 21
HueyPilotVN said:
Here is a standard fixture made for 18 inch florescent bulbs that I put 6 LED strips into.

We did several of these type conversions at Q a few years ago.

Wish I had the know how Bill. I'd have to go out and buy one of those lights then convert it. I might as well just buy one of the lights I attached. Thanks.

I replaced the fixture over our couch, which was just about the same as your original, with a similar one built with LEDs. It was much brighter, and covered the original holes.

The replacement was due to a broken switch on one of the ceiling light fixtures, and I moved the matching fixture from over the couch. Because it's mounted under the overhead cabinet, you can't see that the new fixture isn't the same.

When I made my fluorescents into ?FrankenFixtures? I tried bright white - too bluish, and soft white - too yellow.  In the end I used alternating strips of each color and they two blended into a natural looking light.  Most importantly the spousal unit approved.

The hardest part of the project was soldering directly onto the SM5050 strips.  The press on connectors are total crap!  (They are not made in Scotland).

I initially had problems with the LEDs overheating and installed ?Buck? voltage regulators in the fixtures to deal with it.  In the semiconductor world 12v = exactly 12v.  In the RV world 12v = somewhere between 10.5 and 14.5.

There is much less selection of lumens and style in the wedge-type base, so I would be inclined to replace the fixture if more light is needed. The tiny wire base limits power to about 18 watts and the fixtures tend to limit the size of the physical bulb.  Here are some choices, but 250 lumen is about the top. That's probably no improvement.

http://www.rvledbulbs.com/category-s/42.htm

I ordered this one. If I'm not happy with it, I'll just send it back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JNYBMZY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07JNYBMZY&pd_rd_w=Mc7pv&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=kLTth&pf_rd_r=DG270QD1KNND0JZAQJTR&pd_rd_r=bee7e567-1a82-11e9-ad10-59c7d22e15ab

When I re-bulbed the RV I used panel LEDs. Like these, but probably not these:

https://www.amazon.com/GrandviewTM-Energy-saving-Interior-Reading-Adapter-4PCS/dp/B01LW2NBK6/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2_sspa?keywords=panel+led+smd+ba15&qid=1547750045&sr=8-2-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1

I used 3M molding tape to secure them to the light housing. They are quite bright - to the point that out of the 12 or so fixtures I have throughout the coach only two or three of them are ever used anymore. It's a good result, and has been proven durable over the last four years.

If I was going to do it again, I would probably replace the whole fixture as you're doing... I think it probably is the more sensible approach.

Back
Top Bottom