How Hot is Too Hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhioBill

I have a 1994 Vectra Cat diesel pusher. How hot is too hot on the temperature guage. I've looked everywhere and can not find a reference to a max temperature when going up hills and such.

Bill Karg

I know nothing about your unit, but for me, anything outside of the normal range is a cause for worry,

My Cat 350 ran at about 200-205. Under extreme conditions (wide open long hill climb in 110 degree temps) I'd see 210. I don't recall what temp a good coolant mix boils but I'd start getting very uncomfortable at 215-220.

If you have a rear radiator you'd want to drop a gear to increase fan speed climbing hills

I believe the "hot" mark on our Tour's engine temp gauge is at 240 degrees. Our coach has a DEF system, and I believe they run a few degrees hotter than non-DEF equipped engines. Our engine normally runs at about 195-200 degrees, but it's not unusual at all to see 210. Last summer, when we started up the grade on I-8 west of El Centro, the air temp was 112 degrees. We were towing and the engine hit 221 degrees. I manually downshifted one gear and the temp dropped to 214 within 30 seconds, and stayed there until we got to the top of the grade.

Kev

Diesels of your era will run much cooler (probably below 200F) than later engines due to emission requirements of the later engines  My Cummins ISL will creep up 15 or 20 degrees on a long steep grade at high altitudes, I have to work the gears to keep the engine RPMs at or above 2,000 for max cooling effectiveness.

I'm not sure if your engine has On Board Diagnostics, I suspect it does though - if the ECM isn't setting a check engine light (service code) I wouldn't worry about it.

The area you have to watch if you have a rear radiator,(and you probably have) is the cleanliness of the radiator. Rear types are very sensitive to crud buildup.>>>Dan

Thanks for the replies. My temperature gauge does not have any marks on the gauge face to indicate a hot range. Is there a recommended chemical for cleaning the radiator fins, perhaps the foam they sell for ac condensers for your house AC?

I've watched Freightliner factory service clean rear radiators before, they use a heated high volume low pressure pressure sprayer. I have no idea what they use for a cleaning solution.

OhioBill said:
Thanks for the replies. My temperature gauge does not have any marks on the gauge face to indicate a hot range. Is there a recommended chemical for cleaning the radiator fins, perhaps the foam they sell for ac condensers for your house AC?
I use air conditioner foaming cleaner, you may also use Simple Green.

I wouldn?t use simple green on aluminum.  Any good auto parts store will have a radiator cleaning solution safe for aluminum.  It will be a bit more than the dollar store stuff but well worth not etching your radiator and charge air cooler.

8Muddypaws said:
I wouldn?t use simple green on aluminum.  Any good auto parts store will have a radiator cleaning solution safe for aluminum.  It will be a bit more than the dollar store stuff but well worth not etching your radiator and charge air cooler.
I've used Simple Green on my side radiator for years but I pressure wash (carefully I might add) it soon after application. I'm not sure if this is an urban myth or has some merit. Aluminum will naturally oxidize:

[...Aluminum oxide appears as a powdery white or dull gray coating. As oxidation occurs, it hardens and creates a protective layer over the newly exposed areas of corroded aluminum. The aluminum corrosion process is actually halted by oxidation ? the metal won't continue to deteriorate unless the aluminum oxide is removed....]

I have lots of different types and alloys of aluminum stock, I should set up a simple test and soak different alloys in a full strength Simple Green. When I weld (TIG process) aluminum, you can watch the hard oxidized coating burn away to reveal pure aluminum which then can be welded.

Per the company's FAQ page, Simple Green is safe enough on aluminum if rinsed thoroughly with 10 minutes or so. They also make a non-acidic formula especially for aluminum and plastics (Extreme Simple Green).  It's probably not even a concern unless you wash it often. OTOH, Dawn and similar degreaser/detergents work well enough.

I’ll stick with Dawn from now on.  (Hey!  I’m a poet now!)

My pressure washer broke.  It sprays the first time you pull the trigger but once you release it it won’t spray again until you kill & restart the engine.

8Muddypaws said:
I?ll stick with Dawn from now on.  (Hey!  I?m a poet now!)
There's also degreasers at auto parts stores which would probably cut through oils and road grime faster than Dawn or Joy (and better than Simple Green.)

My pressure washer broke.  It sprays the first time you pull the trigger but once you release it it won?t spray again until you kill & restart the engine.
It must be the pump, if the frame and engine are in good shape you probably can buy a replacement pump.

I replaced the pump on my Karcher pressure washer (2500 psi and a 5 hp Honda) a couple of years ago and the suction feature is broken again, I think that pump is going south. It's 20 years old so I treated myself to a belt driven Pressure Pro 4000 psi & 11.7 hp Honda pressure washer (aluminum frame), just used it yesterday for the first time. What a beast.

Back
Top Bottom