Hiring Camper Van for Holidays? A Bad Idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Guys!

First of all, I want to clarify that we own a camper van that is out of the run because of many repairs and within van installation issues that's why we decided to rent a camper van. Yes, on high demand of our kids, we are planning to go for camper van holidays in March. Although hiring a camper van is easy nowadays, and I have also found this site ( https://www.rvrentacampervan.com/ ) to hire a camper van, but I am just afraid what would be the cons of hiring a camper van.

As I am hiring the camper van first time that's why we don't know whether they are charging much or reasonable. Secondly, I want to know would they charge more on the provision of luxury installations within the van? On the other hand, we also have a plan to ask from any family friend to borrow a camper van. All in all, the main reason to open a thread here is to know that my fears are genuine or I am only taking much tension about hiring a camper van?

Please also share your own experience of hiring a camper van.

Collene Calderson said:
the main reason to open a thread here is to know that my fears are genuine or I am only taking much tension about hiring a camper van?

What exactly is your question, the cons of renting an RV? Assuming you rent a well maintained unit from a reputable company the only con is paying for it. The expenses can be calculated before renting. The site you listed (for example) has the rates for each unit for the time period you specify, along with what is included and the expense of selected options.

They wouldn't charge a single penny when we will return it? right? Only charge the pre-decided amount? I am confused what about if they ask for more amount when we return them on the name of repair or maintenance.

Collene Calderson said:
They wouldn't charge a single penny when we will return it? right? Only charge the pre-decided amount? I am confused what about if they ask for more amount when we return them on the name of repair or maintenance.

If you damage the unit and have not purchased insurance you will certainly be charged for the repairs. You will not be charged for routine maintenance. Once mileage is calculated you may owe for additional miles driven beyond the original estimate. Some places charge for generator usage, some do not. Each will also specify whether the fuel and propane needs to be returned full and what they will charge if they are not full when returned.

Each rental location may have a different agreement - I suggest you carefully read them before making a decision.

We Hired last year when visiting/Holiday, all money is paid up front. the only other money they take is money off your credit card which is returnable at the end of the trip.
They too 1K off us and we got it all back at the end not a problem, we used a well known RV renting company and could not fault them.

This year we are back again and are using a different company but again I will have no fears at all as I do not intend to cause damage to it willingly.

The two or 3 BIGGEST cons are:
1: How experienced are you with RV's.  Are you comfortable with dumping waste tanks. Hooking up and unhooking from park facilities. and all the other things that go into operating an RV?  IF not make very sure you have a FULL "Delivery" course. This can take 2 days by the way.

2: COST: RV rentals tend to be down payment size (Ok I exagtate slightly)

3: INSURANCE: and damage.. Many rental units will have a "Few dings" and unless you buy the delux insurance they may try to blame you for pre-existing dings.  Last time I rented a car I got the Delux insurance (Turns out my existing policy would NOT cover. but at the time I did not know that. State law says otherwise but.. Well they wiggled)  But since I had the DELUX policy when I returned the brand new (11 miles at pickup) Jeep Liberty to Enterprise they did not evern do a damage inspection.. Just signed the form and did it later (Before next rental).. That was a weekend and a half (3 day weekend).

Are you using a translator?

The "cons" of renting an RV/camper van are mostly the expense and liability of using someone else's RV.

Expenses are things like the daily rental fee, extra mileage, generator usage, cleaning/dump fee (if you don't dump it yourself) and extra charges for having the RV equipped with things like plates/cups/cookware, toilet paper, etc.

I don't know how well most rental RV's are maintained, and I assume most of them are used pretty hard. I don't think I'd want to rent one unless I absolutely had no choice. If you have an RV but it's out of service, have you thought about rescheduling your vacation?

Collene Calderson said:

Most outfits require a credit card to rent an RV; they'll charge the base charges and then as part of your signature, you agree to allow them to tack on incidental charges at the end, just like renting a hotel room. Sometimes they require deposits up front, too. There's no doubt you're on the hook for ALL charges.

They shouldn't charge you anything related to maintenance. Repairs for anything you broke or damaged, yes. Before taking delivery of the RV, they probably do a walk-around and note any existing damage on a paper form and you sign agreeing that damage beyond what is noted is your responsibility.

Forgot to say, when we rented there was a walk through to check everything was ok first and we agreed on certain things that was wrong, like a small tear in the fabric, a scratch on the table etc etc. we inspected it thoroughly as well just to make sure.

Then when we returned it they did an inspection with us present and we all had to sign off to say everything was as it was when we picked it up.

I am hoping this company I am using this year will be as thorough.

Back
Top Bottom