Dog Ruins Class A RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

It is written that the RV is ruined, would this be a total loss?

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/fishermans-dog-sends-rv-flying-into-lake

I always thought that one could not take a vehicle out of park unless they press on the brake first.

I read that story and saw the video earlier but wonder if the RV is totaled.  No idea how long it was partially submerged but it would seem that it could be repaired if the only damage was water and it was handled promptly.  Still, that dog needs some driving lessons.

Bill

djw2112 said:
I always thought that one could not take a vehicle out of park unless they press on the brake first.

I saw the video and read the article, but the whole thing did not make much sense to me.

First, did the driver put the RV in park? If so, how did it get out of park? On every RV I have had you have to do more than nudge the transmission level to get the vehicle out of park.

Second, did the driver apply the emergency brake? If so, how did the emergency brake get released. On my current RV you have to lift up the brake handle and push a button to release it. On my previous RV you had to pull a lever next to the firewall. How could a dog do either?

I am not blaming anyone (except, perhaps the dog), but I just don't see how that could have happened unless the RV was left in either Reverse of Neutral. If in Neutral, then perhaps then the transmission could have been "nudged" into Reverse and, if Reverse, then perhaps the dog could have stepped on the gas pedal.

But the video really disturbed me in thinking how such a small thing could ruin an RV and I vowed to make sure that I put my RV in Park, applied the emergency brake and turned off the engine when I get out.

Yeah there are lots of things like that (put the RV in Park) with an RV.  Tell me about making sure the awning is retracted before you pull out of a site.  That one will stick with me and the dog didn't do it.

Bill

MikeFromMesa said:
unless the RV was left in either Reverse of Neutral. If in Neutral, then perhaps then the transmission could have been "nudged" into Reverse and, if Reverse, then perhaps the dog could have stepped on the gas pedal.

It wasn't in reverse initially, as you could see the reverse lights come on just before it moved. My best guess is it was in neutral with the emergency brake on. Dog steps on button and selects reverse, which is just enough to overcome the emergency brake and it starts downhill.

djw2112 said:

Did anyone notice that the brake lights are on when he walks to the back of the RV?

How would they stay on if he's not in the drivers seat holding down the brake?

RVMommaTo6 said:
Oh no!!!! I wonder what that gets filed under for insurance.

Allowing UN-licensed driver to operate said RV---CLAIM DENIED
Use of RV as amphibious vehicle-----CLAIM DENIED

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat. This looks really fishy.

With most column shifters, you can go from neutral to drive just by pulling down on the shifter. But you can't go from neutral to reverse without using the safety feature (usually having to pull back AND push up). That would be a suspiciously and highly coordinated effort for a dog to perform.

If it was a button shifter like some of the Allisons have, larger RV's, maybe, but aren't those usually mounted more vertically on the dash versus flat on a console where a dog would be stepping? For the sake of the claim, let's assume it was mounted perfectly flat and the dog jumped perfectly on the "R" button...

There's also the issue of the brake lights. AT first glance, the lights on the rear of the RV could have been just running lights as part of the parking lamp or headlamp switch being on. But nope, they go out as the RV continues backwards, and then they light up again like someone is controlling the brake pedal.

If I had to guess, there's a kid in there who was wanting to be helpful, or a (possibly now "ex") spouse...

It's pretty amazing the acts of stupidity that insurance policies do cover...this is definitely 'up' there, but probably still covered.

Even if it was fresh water they probably won't put it back together. Too much future liability for problems that may/may not be related.

Stupidity is not grounds for denial of a claim on any US policy.  Most accidents are a result of some less-than-wise action, e.g. excessive speed, running a stop sign or light, or failure to set a parking brake.  It's also human nature to blame the dog rather than admit that the driver may have done something stupid.

With the engine left running, it's conceivable that the tranny going into gear, combined with the ramp angle, simply overwhelmed the parking brake. Some of those brakes aren't all that strong (the kind that has a single shoe on the driveshaft).  Larger vehicles may not have a Park position on the shifter at all, and those that do only have an "auto-park brake" rather than a  wheel locking pin found on cars and light trucks.

There is a new video out from the owner while he was in the water.  He said his parking break failed and that he has been doing this since 1997 without issue.  The moral of the story is that if you do something the wrong way long enough it will go wrong eventually.  Another video on the accident says that the owner lost his boat as well and that it also was submerged. 

Why would anyone put a vehicle in neutral and depend on the parking break to secure it?  Would he do the same if he had backed up to a cliff.  I always plan for the worst and hope for the best so for me it's in park EVERY time plus the emergency brake.

Now a friend told me that he was at a boat dock one time and there was so much slime on the concrete that a RV started sliding backwards into the water.  And for that I would think the rule would be don't use your RV to load your boat. 

djw2112 said:

no,  on many Diesel pushers all you have to do is push a button... and sometimes it will overpower the parking brake.

Sadly........there was an incident here where an old guy reached into the drivers side window and accidentally put it into reverse killing his wife standing behind the coach.

I was not aware of the way diesel's worked so thank you for that clarification.

It does seem that is a huge safety issue that needs to be corrected either by a safety cover over the buttons or by a sensor that senses when someone is sitting in the seat that is heavy enough to be an adult person.  Maybe even a overhead toggle button where you can lockout the transmission buttons from functioning until the driver returns.

djw2112 said:
I was not aware of the way diesel's worked so thank you for that clarification.

It does seem that is a huge safety issue that needs to be corrected either by a safety cover over the buttons or by a sensor that senses when someone is sitting in the seat that is heavy enough to be an adult person.  Maybe even a overhead toggle button where you can lockout the transmission buttons from functioning until the driver returns.

It's how all class 8 / heavy trucks work as well. But they have air brakes.

The air brakes, when properly adjusted, will not let the truck or trailer move. Hydraulic brakes with a cable for the parking brake shouldn't provide enough braking force to keep the vehicle stationary as well. **when properly adjusted.

I'm just not buying it for this video. The service brakes are clearly being operated as evidenced by the tail lights. Even if the transmission controls are push-button, and even if the parking/emergency brake wasn't adjusted correctly--hydraulic or air-- someone is still operating the service brakes. Do you really think it's the dog?

Skookum said:
It's how all class 8 / heavy trucks work as well. But they have air brakes.

The air brakes, when properly adjusted, will not let the truck or trailer move.

Wrong ,  Air brakes have two complete separate systems,  and the main brake system stops all wheels, the parking brake system is usually only the rear brakes.

a D/P Reverse gear ratio is so low that it overpowers the rear brakes. 

one of the DOT air-brake tests is to roll the vehicle and apply the parking brake to see if it needs adjustment.

With all these replies and theories I am not even sure that the dog is guilty at all.  He may have been sleeping on the couch.  He is not talking.  He got Mirandized.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom