Helper springs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I have a friend with a 3/4 ton Chevy truck who is looking into helper springs. He occasionally hauls stacked hay bales, barrels or a gooseneck. He asked me to post a question here. His question is which is the best way to go, a leaf or leaves added along the lines of what Hellwig offers, or something like the Sumo Spring from SuperSpring, or air bags. I don't believe he's trying to haul more weight than he should; his goal is to just to reduce squat by a couple inches without affecting ride while unloaded, as he sometimes drives his truck long distances. I told him I thought airbags would offer him the most control over ride, but install seems more complicated and I suppose there's always the chance of air leaks. For those that have looked into this or have one of these options I'm sure he'll appreciate your incite. Thx

I don't have a clue as to how Sumo Springs work, and don't know if they affect the ride when unloaded. One other thing he may consider is Timbrens: http://timbren.com , they seem to be a what the doctor ordered in his situation. They are easy to install, no moving parts, don't affect the ride when unloaded, and provide relief from sag when loaded heavy.

I purchased a pair of these Timbrems when I wanted to load a truck camper in my truck bed. It made all the difference in the world. When to bed is empty, the frame doesn't touch them so I'm back to the regular ride.

https://www.amazon.com/Timbren-GMRCK15S-Suspension-Enhancement-System/dp/B001TNFFGQ/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=190493253247&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9012163&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=3651359017557691650&hvtargid=kwd-300626698060&keywords=timbrens&qid=1547731379&sr=8-3&tag=googhydr-20

Mpairbags work for me.. gives me ability to adjust for the load and when empty havea nice ride.. Timbrens are ok too...I prefer airbags with on board compressor to adjust on the fly.

He might want to consider Air-Lift air bags (or a competitor's product) These inflatable bags add "help" only when needed. Oh and he shoudl get a 12 volt air compressor (unless he gets that option).

I used a lighter weight version (Air-Lift) on my 1992 Lumina when I towed trailers. Helped. z

NOTE: Neither Helper springs NOR Air bags or air shocks change the maximum cargo capacity. that is not a function of the springs.

He was thinking about air bags. How reliable are they re leaks etc?

I have air bags on my class C, and they leak down slowly. I have put the max pressure in them, and checked from the Schrader valves to the bags and can't find any leaks. We have a set on a work truck with an onboard compressor. I couldn't begin to tell you if that truck has any leaks or not. The onboard compressor is a lot handier than having to break out the compressor for the class C. The air bags on the F-250 at work, along with the compressor was about $1000 for the parts, and we installed it here.

kdbgoat said:
I have air bags on my class C, and they leak down slowly.

Might put some soapy water in a squirt bottle.  I always find slow leaks doing that
  Might be something simple.

That's what I did. I have to admit that I didn't spend a lot of time on it though. Only leaks a few pounds a month, so it's not critical (yet). I'll get back under and check it out good when the weather gets warm. Probably just need to tighten a couple of fittings a bit more. Just so others know, when tightening these fittings, don't go crazy with a pair of pliers. That can cause more leaks than fixing them.

kdbgoat said:
That's what I did. I have to admit that I didn't spend a lot of time on it though. Only leaks a few pounds a month, so it's not critical (yet). I'll get back under and check it out good when the weather gets warm. Probably just need to tighten a couple of fittings a bit more. Just so others know, when tightening these fittings, don't go crazy with a pair of pliers. That can cause more leaks than fixing them.

How hard are they to remove? I'd take them out, inflate them then submerge them in water.

A real pain, especially without a lift. I just did a quick check that day to ensure there wasn't anything major. Didn't see big bubbles, so I moved on to bigger stuff.

Rene T said:
I purchased a pair of these Timbrems when I wanted to load a truck camper in my truck bed. It made all the difference in the world. When to bed is empty, the frame doesn't touch them so I'm back to the regular ride.

kdbgoat said:
I don't have a clue as to how Sumo Springs work, and don't know if they affect the ride when unloaded. One other thing he may consider is Timbrens: http://timbren.com , they seem to be a what the doctor ordered in his situation. They are easy to install, no moving parts, don't affect the ride when unloaded, and provide relief from sag when loaded heavy.

This might be what he's looking for, looks like they work exactly like the Sumos but half the price. I'd never heard of Timbrems so thanks for the link

kdbgoat said:
I have air bags on my class C, and they leak down slowly.

As I suspected. I had figured air bags would give him the most control over ride and ride height, but a much more complex install and the possibility of leaks. And more expensive, even without the compressor. All good info, I will pass it along. Thanks to all who responded

air bags are an easy install as most are a no drill kit all you need is a jack - ive had air bags in 5 trucks and sell 100s a year - if installed properly they very rarely leak unless missused- just remember to keep 5 lbs pressure min at all times. the nice thing about them is they are adjustable and if you get the on board compresser and controls that you mount in the cab you can adjust them on the fly. Super springs Timbrens etc are basically just polyurathane bushings that come in to play when a heavy load is placed in the truck bed - they act as a bump stop - simple easy to install but they lack any sort of flexability are they are not adjustable in any way

Back
Top Bottom