Where is old historic US Route 66?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eh    Cornish = folks who live in Cornwall, which is in England.

Here I thought that the Cornish were Briton in language and descent, sort of Welsh without the advantage of Offa's Dike.  No descent from Hengest and Horsa and their boyos.

Shayne:

Thanks my friend, for retarping the cart.  ft in a hurry and I should have done a better job with that tarp.  If you get a chance could you throw some moth balls under it and also put a few on the floor of the cart.  I will happily pay your for the cost of moth balls.  Unfortunately the golf cart was forgotten until the morning we left and I rushed through the job.

We have left Route 66 and taken I 25 up to Santa Fe.  We will be here until Sunday when we depart for Denver.

I think Sky will be happy since it looks like there will be lot of apples for him to eat and play keep away from Smoky.  Looking forward to your arrival.

Smoky said:
Shayne:
Thanks my friend, for retarping the cart.  ft in a hurry and I should have done a better job with that tarp.

Shayne is a great guy.  He bailed me out of a problem at Happy Trails.  We should throw a Shayne appreciation party when we return this fall.

Phil

Oh  No  I do little but I do it because I enjoy doing so.  believe me, If I didn't want to do something, there's no way in Hades I'd do it unless the Boss insisted,  But that's because she controls the checkbook.    But we can have a party just to be having one, Anytime. On the way to the Dr today to get the bad news of when they will start surgeries.  Just party out there and have a great time.

Hey Ken & Sheila:

We were wondering where you were over the Fourth.  We were at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls, MT with Tarry & Jim Johnson, watching the fireworks all over the city.  We were on a slight rise above the city and so had about a 180 degree viewing area, and there were fireworks in all 180 degrees.  Our heads just kept swiveling from left to right and back again.  It reminded us of the 4th we were with you and the Van Luchenes at Beaudrys and had about the same visual viewing area at Tucson.  There are no "formal" displays such as many cities have, but lots of people just shooting them off everywhere.  It was one of the best shows we've seen in a long while.......  ;D

Daisy

Daisy,

Glad you two are having a good time.

The fireworks at Williams was cut short apparently because of fire danger or maybe a small actual fire. But we are still having a good time.

ken

You can find old Rt 66 in downtown Albuquerque - Central Avenue. Even has signs for pics.

I'm correct, aren't I Bob?

BernerGran
(Libby)

Sure are Libby! However, many new to NM don't realize that the original Rt 66 went up to Santa fe and then down to Albuquerque, west on Central to across the reiver where it headed south and cut through the Isletta Pueblo and then south on what is now NM 47 throught bosque Farms, peralta, Valencia and the west across the river through Los Lunas on Main St and finaly west of town on what is now NM 6

The cutting out of Santa Fe and pushing straight west from Morarity was a political strike back by a loser in the reelection as governor...

ROUTE 66 ... that is going to be one of my first trips in my new RV. Planning to do the trip in early May and June 2012. I figure to leave the Niagara area and head to Chicago and then on to LA. I have all the promotional material as well as CAA maps. They actually provide a trip tik for Route 66. Even my GPS (Aunt Bea as she is affectionately known) has a pre-planned route for Route 66. Last year I found a small section east and north of Peoria, Ill and stopped at a couple of the attractions and got more maps.

I figure to travel the route for several weeks taking side trips and taking pictures along the way. Once I reach CA. I will visit some friends and then travel north on the coast highway back into Canada and through the Rockies. Figure to be gone for 2-3 months.

This will be my first major trip with the RV ... followed by an Alaskan Road trip and a complete exploration of the Maritime Provinces and New England States, including Newfoundland. Not sure which I will of first ... one thing at a time I guess.  So much to see and do ... so little time.  :D

Bob Maxwell said:
'66 is 13 miles north of me in Los Lunas NM. Give me a shout -and we now have 50,30amp and dump station available for a smile.

Your on ... that's for the invite. I've made a note on my diary to contact you before I leave and we can make arrangements.

Thanks

Karsten (Karsty)

One of the longest remaining stretches of US66, and mostly still original, runs between Seligman and Kingman. A most enjoyable drive. You pick it up off I-40 west of Williams, gateway to the Grand Canyon. The Rte 66 Museum in Kingman is not to be missed.

BernieD said:
One of the longest remaining stretches of US66, and mostly still original, runs between Seligman and Kingman. A most enjoyable drive. You pick it up off I-40 west of Williams, gateway to the Grand Canyon. The Rte 66 Museum in Kingman is not to be missed.
Isn't Radiator Springs on that stretch somewhere?  Just slow down and watch out for the Hudson Hornet and if you need roadside service in that area, Mater will be glad to help.

It seems like every main east/west street claims to be Old RT66 here in Albuquerque. You see signs declaring it on almost every main street. Pick a year and it was here pick another year and it was there.

That's the exact truth.

Theberrys said:
It seems like every main east/west street claims to be Old RT66 here in Albuquerque. You see signs declaring it on almost every main street. Pick a year and it was here pick another year and it was there.

RT 66 originally went to Santa Fe and came into Q from the north and went south through Isletta Pueblo to Los Lunas and follows NM 6. A NM governor unexpectedly lost in Nov and had the Highway Dept bulldozers rip a dirt gravel road straight through to Q immediately that Wed to spite the Santa Fe politicos and outlying groups that had defeated him. They came straight over Sedillo hill and down to Tijeras.

Molaker said:
Isn't Radiator Springs on that stretch somewhere?  Just slow down and watch out for the Hudson Hornet and if you need roadside service in that area, Mater will be glad to help.

Tom

I don't remember a "Radiator Springs" along the route. And if I missed seeing a Hudson Hornet, that would make me very sad :'(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom