Northern NM / AZ loop in May?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac-1

I am looking for your thoughts on an RV trip making a 7-9 day loop probably starting and ending in Albuquerque, NM, or possibly Flagstaff, AZ (Possibly even Phoenix).  I am semi-retired, and my wife still works full time here in Louisiana, she has some big work projects going on this year which greatly limit when and how long she can be away.  One of her vacation date options coincides with a solo RV trip I have planned to west Texas around May 1st, so that she could fly out and meet me a day or two after my event ends, likely in northern New Mexico.

My wife has some mobility issues, and due to a medical condition she needs to avoid getting over heated, so things that involve hiking more than a few hundred yards are likely out of the question.  We have done the mountains in Colorado and Wyoming the last couple of years (Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Medicine Bow National Forest, Dinosaur Lands, etc.) and are looking for something different.

The Grand Canyon is likely on the list, but what else?  I try to limit my driving to about 300 miles per day, but am willing to push it to 400 to reach a specific destination (Albuquerque to the Grand Canyon is right at 400 miles).

thanks for your thoughts on this trip
Ike

p.s. we have a 28 ft class A with no TOAD

My recommendation would not make the mistake of cramming too many stops in the fairly limited time you have available.  I would pick one or two sites you really want to see and spend more time there.  For example, you mention the Grand Canyon, in reality you could spend a life time there and not see it all, so maximize the time you have available and enjoy more of it than a quick drive through.  Also, the Grand Canyon has the popular South Rim and also the less popular North Rim, so if you have not been to the GC, it is worth seeing both, but to get from one to the other involves a long drive around the GC.  This is why the North Rim receives much fewer visitations and is unfortunate, because of the two I feel the North Rim is the most beautiful and most worthwhile.

Gizmo said:
My recommendation would not make the mistake of cramming too many stops in the fairly limited time you have available.  I would pick one or two sites you really want to see and spend more time there.  For example, you mention the Grand Canyon, in reality you could spend a life time there and not see it all, so maximize the time you have available and enjoy more of it than a quick drive through.  Also, the Grand Canyon has the popular South Rim and also the less popular North Rim, so if you have not been to the GC, it is worth seeing both, but to get from one to the other involves a long drive around the GC.  This is why the North Rim receives much fewer visitations and is unfortunate, because of the two I feel the North Rim is the most beautiful and most worthwhile.

Having hosted at Demotte Campground, outside the gate to the North Rim for 2 years, I totally agree with you.  However, the OP has only a motor home with no toad, so he's probably limited to the sights that have paved roads.  This being said, a day, or a day and a half would probably be sufficient to see the North Rim, unless he planned to hike the Canyon. 
Now, if he had a Jeep or similar toad with him...I could point out spots that would keep him busy for an entire season.

Cochiti Lake COE campground 45 min north of Albu on the Rio Grande would make a good base camp to see Bandelier Nat Monument, tent rocks, Los Alamos, and drive the loop through the Jemez Mts. Mostly a scenic drive on paved roads although you can hike in Bandelier and at Tent Rocks. Santa Fe plaza is a tourist destination and the Rail Runner commuter train to Santa Fe stops near Cochiti. This will save the fight for parking in Santa Fe but does require more walking to see stuff in Santa Fe near the plaza.

Next drive up US 84 to Chama and either stay at Lake Heron state park (the lake is down so not as scenic unless you are a bird watcher) or stay at one of the RV parks in Chama. The drive up US 84 is referred to a Georga O'keefe country due to scenic views she painted there. In Chama there is the steam train ride for a days outing and scenic but leisurely activity.

From Chama drive either over to Taos or Durango. Towards Taos is high desert and mountains. Towards Durango is foothills. Both are scenic drives ending in either another tourist trap/destination. Mesa Verde is over past Durango and is in the direction of GC and Flagstaff through the Reservations.  Taos is more mountain scenery and up over the mountains to Las Vegas, NM.

There?s a lot to see and do around Flagstaff. Besides Grand Canyon, there are Walnut, Wupatki, and Sunset Volcano NPS sites. South of Flag, is Sedona. About 270 miles north of Flagstaff, is Mesa Verde and Hovenweep. You could spend s lifetime exploring the Four Corners area.

Wendy said:
There?s a lot to see and do around Flagstaff. Besides Grand Canyon, there are Walnut, Wupatki, and Sunset Volcano NPS sites. South of Flag, is Sedona. About 270 miles north of Flagstaff, is Mesa Verde and Hovenweep. You could spend s lifetime exploring the Four Corners area.
X2

See this post for more info...

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,112439.msg1018017.html#msg1018017

Another thing people may like in NM is Sky City (Acoma Pueblo), just south of I-40 between Albuquerque and Grants. Bandelier is great, and the caldera view during part of the Jemez loop is gorgeous -- look it up on a topo map -- when driving through the area. It's even more spectacular from the air (I used to teach flying in Albuquerque).

That steam railroad mentioned above at Chama runs from Chama to Antonito, CO, which takes all day, with a bus returning to Chama. Or at the lunch stop at Osier (half way, of course) you can take the return train to Chama rather than taking the bus back.  I like it better than the Durango-Silverton, though not everyone agrees. Here's a short video I made several years ago.

Thanks for all the ideas, I am researching the suggestions, if anyone has any others to offer, please do.    The steam train looked interesting, but unfortunately it does not start running until the end of May

The idea for this trip is shaping up, but now I need some more advice. 

At the moment it is shaping up that I will do my solo trip to west Texas around May 1st, a few days later my wife will then fly out to either Flagstaff, Arizona or Grand Junction, Colorado then fly home from the other after 9-11 days.  It looks like she can catch an early morning flight out and arrive in Flagstaff by noon on day 1, logistics for which end to start at seem to be a coin toss, though current prices suggest airfare may be slightly cheaper flying into Flagstaff then home from Grand Junction, also there seem to be a lack of early morning flights into Grand Junction.

I would like your advice on the best route to see the sights between these two points, and time to spend at each, keeping in mind we will be traveling in a 28 ft coach with no TOAD car on this trip.  My wife does have some minor mobility issues so no major hiking.

Sounds like you mostly want a driving tour.  Start in Grand Junction go down to US 50 and turn east through Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Go over to US 265 and turn south to CO17 and Great Sand Dunes. (one days drive) Then back to 285 to Antonito, CO where you can turn west to Chama or take the steam train ride https://cumbrestoltec.com/schedule/ from Antonito. (another day) I suggest driving over to Chama and south on US 84 to see Georga O'Keefe country and then when you get near Santa Fe (short day drive unless you meander up to Taos and over to Las Vegas, NM then it is a longer day) drive the NM 4 over to Los Alamos, Bandelier Nat Mont. and on to US 550 near San Ysidro, NM. (A day trip unless you spend a lot of time at Bandelier) Drive to Albu via 550 and then turn west on I-40 to hit Painted Desert/Petrified Forest, Walnut Canyon, Grand Canyon in AZ. A day drive and a few hours at Painted Desert plus Walnut Canyon I would skip the Metror Crater but you may want to spend a hour and $$$ there too.

You can also add a day by taking the Sky City tour (Acoma Puebleo exit 108 on I-40 west of Albu) and a couple of hours can be added by turning south at Grants and swinging past the Malpais Nat Mont and El Moro, on the way to Grand Canyon and Flagstaff.

You can do the whole trip in three 300 mile days so adding a 3-4 days along the way to see sights and stay in parks is still only going to take a week.

If I were in the area of Canyon de Chelly I'd have to spend at least half a day. Nice campground, don't have to walk much to see all the sights. Been there 4 times so far.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom