Condensation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

With the cold misty weather there is condensation on the widows of the RV.  I think this means that there is too much moisture in the air inside the RV.  The heater is on and it is about 65 inside and around 35 outside.  Should I wipe all the condensation from the windows to help control the moisture level inside?

I cannot use a dehumidifyer because it drys out my sinuses too much and they bleed.

That's probably the reason, and yes wiping up what you can certainly won't hurt. Try running a vent fan on low speed all the to help keep the moisture down since you can't run a dehumidifier. Run the fan in the bathroom on a higher speed when showering, and make sure you run the fan over the stove when cooking. I know running the fan(s) will burn up the propane, but costs less than the potential long term damage from moisture. If your heater happens to be an unvented propane heater, try running the furnace or electric heaters instead. Be aware that if it gets below freezing, you should probably be running your built in propane furnace because it most likely heats the underbelly where your tanks are.

What was the first thing you thought about doing before you questioned your own judgment?

I'd go with that thought.  Stop second guessing the common sense your family taught  you..  Less  stress  that  way.

Your first thought is correct.  Condensation means too much moisture in the RV.

Sources of moisture include the fact you are still breathing  :D  showers, cooking, and unvented heaters.  (Yes, when you exhale, you expel CO2 and water vapor.)

Ways to get rid of moisture include wiping it off the windows, opening a vent or window, running vent fans and dehumidifiers.

It becomes a balancing act between humidity added to the air and exchanging that humid air for dryer outside air.

You could try:

https://www.amazon.com/Prostormer-Cordless-Streak-Free-Cleaning-Squeegee/dp/B07DYLXQCB/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2SAKU3I1JPPND&keywords=karcher+window+vacuum&qid=1547986185&sprefix=Karcher+w%2Caps%2C253&sr=8-6

Or this one has an additional small attachment too which may be useful.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Telescopic-Cordless-Rechargeable-Extension/dp/B07BHK8HT6/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3CS82DPFJG166&keywords=karcher+window+vacuum&qid=1547986389&sprefix=Karch%2Caps%2C240&sr=8-7

And/or something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG118RV-Moisture-Absorber-Charcoal/dp/B00CBLW3EW/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=NOCEUA9MZCL4&keywords=damp+rid&qid=1547986261&sprefix=Damp%2Caps%2C294&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1

Since you don't want to reduce the humidity the only other thing to do is warm the windows.  That condensation takes place when the window surface reaches the dew point.  You can try covering the cold window with plastic or insulation.

Greatly appreciated everyone!  Nice information and good products as well.    The main reason I ask is because I don't remember anyone wiping off windows when I went on trips as a kid.  Maybe they just did not know to do it.

We wintered in Crystal River,  Florida a couple of years and had a lot of condensation.  Half a dozen damp rid canisters helped much. But we totally cured it by finding a warmer witering spot.

djw2112 said:
Greatly appreciated everyone!  Nice information and good products as well.    The main reason I ask is because I don't remember anyone wiping off windows when I went on trips as a kid.  Maybe they just did not know to do it.
You only get condensation when it is cold outside.  Did you camp in really cold weather?

I have the same condition in south TX this week, 65 inside and in the 30s outside.  I use DampRid and a dehumidifier.  The dehumidifier is set at 45, and an additional meter states that the humidity level is ok.  However, I have wet windows in the morning.  I have to use a microfiber cloth to dry the windows in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom