Question on waxing a portion of our new trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

In the past I have always waxed the trailers that we have had at least once a year and I am having a problem with the aluminum skirting and bottom row of aluminum siding on our new one.
Most of the trailer is white with a smooth finish that accepts the wax good, but the skirting and bottom row which are brown have a course textured finish and will not take a shine
If anyone else has this problem, do you just not wax it, or is there some other finish that you use on it ?

Jack L

I might be wrong but I am thinking that just use some carnauba wax on the whole thing including the skirt.  The reason is that carnauba wax is a cleaner as well and the skirts need to be cleaned just like the other siding. 

In case people do not know this, you can actually take spray paint off with carnauba wax because it is a cleaner.  So if you ever get tagged with spray paint it will take it off with some elbow grease and not damage the clear coat, the spray paint is on the clear coat not the paint job so carnauba cleans the clear coat.  :)

Because it's on the skirting, it may be coated with a bed liner type material to protect it. It is a tough rubber like coating thats tougher than paint..>>>Dan

djw2112 said:
I might be wrong but I am thinking that just use some carnauba wax on the whole thing including the skirt.  The reason is that carnauba wax is a cleaner as well and the skirts need to be cleaned just like the other siding. 

In case people do not know this, you can actually take spray paint off with carnauba wax because it is a cleaner.  So if you ever get tagged with spray paint it will take it off with some elbow grease and not damage the clear coat, the spray paint is on the clear coat not the paint job so carnauba cleans the clear coat.  :)

No, I have always used wax with carnuba in it, and if any thing using it on that portion doesn't do anything

If it was plastic I would recommend one of the plastic restorer products on the market to bring the luster back.  But since is it aluminum maybe try one of the aluminum mag wheel polishing kits.  I also found some painted aluminum cleaners online as well.  This is a good question.

There are spray wax products. NOT unlike the "Hot Wax" at the car wash ... Just spray one and let it dry. (They and in fact nearly all automotive waxes are carnauba wax) but it's just spray on.

Not as good as say Turtle Wax ICE or Simonize. but better than nothing.

No doubt some sort of colored vinyl or rubberized coating, probably designed to minimize gravel dings and such.  Could be similar to the bed liner material somebody already mentioned.  Probably not much to be done except a good cleaning -  waxes and polishes intended for paint won't have any effect. The sort of product used on rubber (tires, etc) may add a bit of shine, but probably won't last long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom