Do I have a charge line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I've done no investigation yet but maybe someone knows the answer. My truck has a factory fifth wheel setup. Do these normally have a charge line or is this something which must be added? And if the truck does send charge voltage to the trailer, is it likely the trailer came wired to use it, or is this something I'll need to do? (I realize that due to wire size and length charge rate would be severely limited. I'm just interested whether I have any at all.)

Back2PA said:
I've done no investigation yet but maybe someone knows the answer. My truck has a factory fifth wheel setup. Do these normally have a charge line or is this something which must be added? And if the truck does send charge voltage to the trailer, is it likely the trailer came wired to use it, or is this something I'll need to do? (I realize that due to wire size and length charge rate would be severely limited. I'm just interested whether I have any at all.)

Scott, if you have a factory installed receptacle where you would plug in the wire from the RV, yes it will have a charge wire. Looking at the truck receptacle, it will be the one at the 1 o'clock position.
The RV will come all wired up for that. The corresponding slot on the trailer plug will be the charge line. It goes to the battery.
Now if you're having issues with the truck not charging the trailer battery, it may be that the factory never installed a fuse. Locate the fuse panel in the truck and find the socket for the RV charge.  Your owners manual will show the location. 

As I understand my setup (Not a 5've but i think still applies) When I connect the truck it provides 12 volts to the trailer. In regards to charging the TT battery it's very minimal at best. I would think of it as a trickle charger.

That said I would like to hear from the more experienced RV'ers

Gizmo100 said:
As I understand my setup (Not a 5've but i think still applies) When I connect the truck it provides 12 volts to the trailer. In regards to charging the TT battery it's very minimal at best. I would think of it as a trickle charger.

That said I would like to hear from the more experienced RV'ers

My truck keeps my RV battery fully charged while going down the road and I have a INvertor which keeps my residential fridge running.

My '13 F350 runs power to my FW.  I bought the truck used, so I am not sure how the factory shipped it.  The easiest way to find out is do as Rene said.  Start the truck and check for voltage between the contact at 1 o'clock and ground.  If powered, you are good to go.  If not, look for a missing fuse.

Rene T said:
My truck keeps my RV battery fully charged while going down the road and I have a INvertor which keeps my residential fridge running.

Thanks Rene..I may have to test mine a little and see what she can do :)

Do you have a charge line: YES
is it connected up and working: Unknown

Most truck makers have one wiring harness. no matter what options you order it has one harness. So the charge line is there. May be "Not connected" but it's there.. ALl you have to do is find it and hook it up.

NOW.. If you already have a socket installed (7 pin round usually) try this

A Test Lamp (Looks like an old fashion ice pick with a light bulb in the handle and a wire coming out of samer)  CLip the wire to ground and with the engine on the truck runnign probe the outlet Headlights off. turn signal off.

You should see 1 bright light. As I recall it will be next to .. checked my recall is faulty
Chart shows it is one of the two terminal OPPOSITE The key (the notch or rib).

and possibly one not so bright (Brakes depending on your controller)

Turning on the head or rather tail lights should light ther othert terminal "Opposite" the key.

The first is the charge line. 2nd tail
IF you probe the TRAILER end.. Nothing connected.  the same terminal as CHARGE will show power (Battery).

The wire with the clip goes to any handy unpainted metal part of the vehicle under test (Return path or Ground for the lihght bulb.

NOTE: Test the test light by hooking direct to battery before using as test light. I often have to re-set the lamp.

Back
Top Bottom