Foreign Resident US Citizen buying RV in Kansas...where to register?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DerivativeGuru

I am a US Citizen who is a long time foreign resident. I am purchasing an RV in a couple of days and plan to spend a few months traveling around North America. Since I am not a resident of any state, I assumed I could pick any state to register the unit, however, it seems not so simple as some states require one to have been present in the state for 6 months or present a utility billing, etc to be considered a resident. I will probably finance the unit so it seems that rules out the Montana LLC and my research showed MT requires an individual to be present in the state at least 6 months before they are considered a resident.

Anyone have a suggestion on the best option for registering this unit? (Low combined taxes, registration and insurance without onerous residency nor onerous inspection/emissions requirements.)

If it makes a difference, I am purchasing the unit on consignment from a Dealer in Kansas.

You can register it in any state you wish. You don't need to be there for any length of time to be considered a resident. All you really need is an address. Here is an article from our library about full timing. There is much more info on full timing in the library.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/29-fulltiming/435-fulltimeprep

South Dakota will let you register with a single night's stay, vehicle never has to enter the state. 4% sales tax. I use a company called Your Best Address that for a small fee will handle all the paperwork. There are other companies that do the same. You will need a SD address which they will provide for an annual fee.

SeilerBird said:
You can register it in any state you wish. You don't need to be there for any length of time to be considered a resident. All you really need is an address. Here is an article from our library about full timing. There is much more info on full timing in the library.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/29-fulltiming/435-fulltimeprep

If that's the case, then Montana seems the best choice, but don't I need to be considered a resident there before I can register my unit there?

You will need to provide an address within whichever state you choose, so you'll either need a friend there or a mail forwarding service

Texas is also popular for such things, mostly through the escapees club which provides mail forwarding and other services and is located in Livingston TX (about 75 miles north of Houston)

Had a friend who lived overseas for 12 years and when he returned he bought a new truck. He had a hard time getting auto insurance as he had no current driving history here in the states. 

Have you talked to any auto insurance companies yet? 

The way I am reading this online, it seems Montana requires one to be a legal resident before registering a vehicle there and becoming a resident seems to require a 6-month presence. It seems only companies can register immediately after formation.

Anyone have personal experiences?

quote author=Back2PA link=topic=119384.msg1086768#msg1086768 date=1548114794]
You will need to provide an address within whichever state you choose, so you'll either need a friend there or a mail forwarding service
[/quote]

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-21-18-25-03-10.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-21-18-25-03-10.png
    240.8 KB · Views: 2
I was concerned with this also but Progressive didn't seem to have an issue with it.

Arch Hoagland said:
Had a friend who lived overseas for 12 years and when he returned he bought a new truck. He had a hard time getting auto insurance as he had no current driving history here in the states. 

Have you talked to any auto insurance companies yet?

DerivativeGuru said:
The way I am reading this online, it seems Montana requires one to be a legal resident before registering a vehicle there and becoming a resident seems to require a 6-month presence. It seems only companies can register immediately after formation.

Anyone have personal experiences?

quote author=Back2PA link=topic=119384.msg1086768#msg1086768 date=1548114794]

In SD you have to be a resident but as I mentioned you need spend only one night. This is proved by hotel/campground receipt

Back
Top Bottom