Custom light fixture made and installed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLOweather

In another thread here, I posted about removing the StudioLoft from our Sunstar. The reduction in weight and increased headroom are great. However, the mount left crushed headliner and screw holes in its wake.

Also, there is a dearth of light up there at night, if reading in the captain's chairs, just one sad map light on each side.

So, I decided to fix 2 problems at once: cover the tracks and add lights. I shopped online and found suitable lights on Amazon. Then I designed and made a wooden box out of 1x2 and 1/4" poplar. Home Depot didn't have a "forest cherry" stain match so I channeled my late grandfather and mixed my own out of Varathane Traditional Cherry and Black Cherry. (~6 to 1).

I installed a 3/4 MDO cleat on the ceiling with self drilling screws to hold the fixture.

And, here's also a picture of it installed. The screws that hold the box to the cleat are hidden by the lights.

Attachments

• 190121bedtracks.jpg
    190121bedtracks.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 190121cleat.jpg
    190121cleat.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 190121installed.jpg
    190121installed.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 92
Thanks, all. The lights are pretty nice. My prejudices wanted "bullet" style reading lights. I found the first ones on Amazon.

They look too mid-century modern for me, and I wanted lights centered in the mounting plate.

Then second ones are what I got. They both work the same. Touch the ring (mine) or button (the bullet), and the blue night light comes on. Touch again and the warm white (3000K) 2 watt reading light comes on. Touch and hold to dim or brighten, or touch and release to extinguish.

And I didn't have to figure out switching. All 4 are individually controllable.

$22 each on Prime.

Attachments

• bulletlights.jpg
    bulletlights.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 12
  • touchlights.jpg
    touchlights.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 14
After some observation, investigation, and experimentation, I learned something about those lights that makes them even nicer and explains a cryptic notation in the instructions.

I knew that the touch ring controlled the blue night light, and dimming the the reading light. The instructions say:

Tips: Lamp memories your desired brightness and it stay on last time brightness level when you turn on next time.Dimming range 15%-100%.

I never could get that figured out, because of the way the touch control works. Then, when I was rewiring the lights from my temporary 12 v connection to the new under-dash fuse panel I installed, I noticed that a light that's ON when power is removed retains that setting when power is restored.

So, I have now added a temporary dash switch that controls all 4 lights. Much more convenient than having to stand up and touch the lights one by one. There's a hole in the dash for a matching Carling switch that I'll use as soon as the ones I ordered get here.

Back
Top Bottom