Visitors to US - obtaining US Drivers License

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murray

Hi,
For various reasons (including insurance costs) we (both UK resident) would like to get US driving licenses. We've heard it may be easiest in North Dakota, but does anyone know any details on where may be easiest or any restrictions? I understand some states require a residence qualification, so those would be out. The RV is stored in Nevada and registered and insured there.

If you don't get a definitive answer here, you might need to check DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles) web sites for individual states. In some states they're called some other name (e.g. Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Department of Transportation), but they'll be easy to find via google. Here's the relevant page of the North Dakota Dept of Transportation web site:

https://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/driverslicense/dlrequirements.htm

Just a heads up on the insurance costs ... When we first moved (from the UK) to California and got CA drivers licenses, because we didn't have a full 12 months of driving experience/history in the US, our annual premium was doubled. When the 12 months was up, our premium halved. I don't know/recall if this was an insurance company issue, a California issue, or a Federal issue.

I'm interested in how you get on with this. We haven't bothered and when I asked the agent last year what the cost difference would be, it was around $24!  That said, you might have a better choice of insurers.

Nevada are very tourist friendly, not sure how difficult test is, but if I were you I'd also think about which town you take the test in, the smaller the better and away from large cities are likely to be easier. That said, folks on here will know much more than me as I am making assumptions.

Good luck!

Before you leave home get an INTERNATIONAL driver's license.. Those may be accepted by DMV's in many states..

About all I can say about it.  No PERSONAL experience but I have a few folks I went to school with (Back when radios still had TUBES that had to warm up) and that is how they did it.  My radios had 6146s in them...

One caveat - the IDP (international driving permit) is nothing more than a "translation" of your existing driving licence, and wouldn't be accepted in lieu of a US license. Some states (such as California) specifically state that they don't accept the IDP. So, with or without an IDP, be sure to bring your UK licences.

Just a side note in Alabama, when you get your License. They print a temporary paper License...Then mail the finial License.
So you would have to have a mail address. I don't know if a PO box would work.

I don't know how this effects your situation being foreign nationals, but you should be aware there is an issue going on with drivers licenses in many states at the moment.  A few years ago the US federal government passed the Real ID act, part of this act required Real ID compliant identification to be required for any number of activities, which are being staged in over a number of years, this includes entry to federal facilities, and ultimately required to fly on commercial airlines.  There was a big push back against this act from a number of states, so while it worked its way through the courts a number of states did not offer a Real ID compliant drivers license, others made it optional, my home state will be making it mandatory next year. 

As chance would have it I just renewed my drivers license last week and opted to go ahead and get the Real ID compliant license, for me this meant having to show a certified copy of my birth certificate, my social security card, along with 2 pieces of recent official mail sent to my mailing address (I used a water bill, and a bank statement, as that was what was in my car) along with my old (not yet expired) drivers license as 1 form of photo ID.  There is a complex matrix of acceptable combinations of documents to get a real ID drivers license, though I don't know how this would work for a foreign national, or even if it is an option.

p.s. On Gizmo100's comment about Alabama, when I lived there 25+ years ago it took 4-6 weeks for the permanent license to show up in the mail, I hope they are faster now.  I live in Louisiana and the photo license is printed at the DMV office and takes about 5 minutes to process.

p.p.s. Also be aware about half the states now require special licensing with special extra testing to operate a vehicle over 26,000 pounds GVWR, so if your RV is a diesel pusher you may want to consider a state that does not require this extra level of licensing. 

I'd forgotten about the Real ID issue, but it's unlikely to affect the OP. Here's the fact sheet from the CA DMV.

Tom, your FAQ would not load, so I searched on one for another state (South Carolina), and it said that Real ID drivers licenses were available to foreign national, it referenced another form, and said these could only be issued at certain DMV locations that process foreign drivers, so it appears at least in the case of South Carolina that only limited DMV locations issue drivers licenses to foreign nationals.  My state also does tiered services for the DMV, where only select locations allow people to pay re-instatement fines.

It's a long link, but it's just a PDF. Try click the link in the second box on this page
As written in that pdf, the real ID will only be required to board domestic flights and enter secure federal facilities, so the OP will be unlikely to require it.

John From Detroit said:
Before you leave home get an INTERNATIONAL driver's license.. Those may be accepted by DMV's in many states..

About all I can say about it.  No PERSONAL experience but I have a few folks I went to school with (Back when radios still had TUBES that had to warm up) and that is how they did it.  My radios had 6146s in them...
We did that our first year but dont think theres any point. Police happy with UK driving licence when someone got stopped in Washington State.....

jackiemac said:
We did that our first year but dont think theres any point. Police happy with UK driving licence when someone got stopped in Washington State.....

1 What did you do??
2 Washington is a lot more liberal than...Let's say Alabama..We don't like the sound of that accent ;D

Gizmo100 said:
1 What did you do??
2 Washington is a lot more liberal than...Let's say Alabama..We don't like the sound of that accent ;D
Ahem, it wasnt me!

Too busy thinking about Mount Rainier and took his eye off the speedometer but not his foot!  The police officer offered him a choice; a $100 fine or treat the lovely lady (that was me) to a very nice lunch!

You know what his choice was, and I'm still waiting on the lunch!

jackiemac said:
Ahem, it wasnt me!

Too busy thinking about Mount Rainier and took his eye off the speedometer but not his foot!  The police officer offered him a choice; a $100 fine or treat the lovely lady (that was me) to a very nice lunch!

You know what his choice was, and I'm still waiting on the lunch!

If it was Alabama ...The nice officer would have taken the lovely lady to lunch...While "he's" picking up trash on the side of the road.

Murray said:
Hi,
For various reasons (including insurance costs) we (both UK resident) would like to get US driving licenses. We've heard it may be easiest in North Dakota, but does anyone know any details on where may be easiest or any restrictions? I understand some states require a residence qualification, so those would be out. The RV is stored in Nevada and registered and insured there.
I worked as a Drivers License Examiner in North Dakota but retired 16 years ago so my input would need to be checked.  North Dakota, at that time, definitely had a residency requirement.  But contact their DOT for today's rules. 

Bill

Gizmo100 said:
If it was Alabama ...The nice officer would have taken the lovely lady to lunch...While "he's" picking up trash on the side of the road.
I might have enjoyed that  ;D

[quote author=Bill N]I worked as a Drivers License Examiner in North Dakota ... at that time, definitely had a residency requirement.  But contact their DOT for today's rules.[/quote]

Nice to have the inside scoop Bill, thanks.

Murray said:
Hi,
For various reasons (including insurance costs) we (both UK resident) would like to get US driving licenses. We've heard it may be easiest in North Dakota,

Are you sure that you don't mean South Dakota? I realize that they're both huge, rectangular states out in the middle of nowhere but there really is a difference.;D 

South Dakota is an RV-friendly state and thousands of full-time RVers are registered to drive and vote there.  The licensing bureau will accept a mail forwarding address but you are required to declare on an affidavit that you are a resident and intend to return.  My suggestion is to call the driver's license folks and ask. The public servants we've dealt with in SD have all been very pleasant to work with.  Here's a link to the driver licensing office: https://dps.sd.gov/driver-licensing

The only reason I can think of for why North Dakota might be worth talking to is that they may have nearby Canadians with dual licensing and may have special provisions for that. 

There's no way you can ever comply with the Real  ID Act which was discussed in a previous post because one of the pieces of information that is required is proof of a Social Security number which, of course, you won't have.

Back
Top Bottom