1993 Prowler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mg_sc

Hey everyone! I'm super new to RVs and travel trailers
I just bought a 1993 Prowler Fleetwood 5th wheel, 25' travel trailer and I know nothing about it! They didn't have any keys and didn't use any power source within the trailer they just used a generator.
I tried looking up an owners manual but no luck.
Since we weren't provided with any keys, we had to manually crank the jack stands up AND down... This was pretty lame since we had to rehitch a few times due to the limited turning distance on the property and within the truck bed. Any resources or links to replacement keys? I did find a replacement key for the outdoor compartments but it's not the same key for the jack stands.
There is a converter inside I think, I'll post some pics. I saw fuses and assumed that's what it is. Although I have no idea what that stuff does or how it works. I did watch a video to check power within the fuses using a test light. But idk where to get one of those testers. They also had 2 car batteries in there, one was semi hooked up so I'm not sure if there was an issue

Welcome to the Forum Mg_sc

Congrats on the new toy...Sounds like you have your hands full

As far as the keys and the owner manual I can't help

There is a converter inside I think, I'll post some pics. I saw fuses and assumed that's what it is. Although I have no idea what that stuff does or how it works. I did watch a video to check power within the fuses using a test light. But idk where to get one of those testers.

The converter take 120 volts and converts it to 12 volts DC. The 12 volts powers most of the basics things in the RV (lights, blower on heater, circuit boards on the heater and the Ref.,water pump.) The converter should also charge the on house batteries.
I would invest in a cheap test meter to check everything before I went to far.

They also had 2 car batteries in there, one was semi hooked up so I'm not sure if there was an issue

Part of the reason I would check everything

As your working on things and need help feel free to post questions and/or post pictures as needed.

Best of luck

I have a similar unit, there is no manual for the trailer. I did get a stack for the individual components. Your converter should be under a dinette seat, the front panel flips down to expose it. If the batteries are 12 volt they should be hooked up + to +, - to -. Make sure you correctly identify the positive and negative wires going into the trailer, you do not want to hook the batteries up backwards. Mine has manual jacks which I can live with but electric would sure be nice.

You'll need to learn the basic stuff about an RV such as dealing with the fresh water, gray water, and black water tanks along with learning about the ac and dc (battery) electrical systems. It's not hard, but there is a little bit of a steep learning curve.

I suggest you start with the "library" which has a link at the top of the web page. It provides a lot of basic information in a very easy to understand format. There are also a lot of RV tutorial videos on Youtube. Of course, you should feel free to ask plenty of questions on this forum. But, just deal with one topic at a time for each thread. Lots of friendly help is always available.

So, let's start with the test light you asked about. The simplest one which I find quite useful looks like a screwdriver with a sharp point. It has a wire coming out of the top ending in an alligator clip. You use the alligator clip to attach to a ground wire or metal trailer frame. The pointed end is touched to a bare electrical wire or you can push the point into the plastic covering to touch the bare wire to determine if the wire is live; has electrical juice. A light in the handle of the screwdriver will turn on if the wire is live. It's a cheap and simple tool. You can get one at any hardware or auto parts store.

Here's a link so you can see a picture of one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vehicles-DC-6-24V-Point-Tip-Voltage-Tester-Pen-Electroprobe-Tool/181696662?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=571&adid=22222222227045036977&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=94062883250&wl4=pla-216315854210&wl5=9008402&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111838760&wl11=online&wl12=181696662&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvqDiBRDAARIsADWh5Tei79L7q8xPpytI9G_-kVDMMmuN1k3TMZDrK7IaX2jQeZ-3TunmC30aAtIsEALw_wcB

Gizmo100 said:
Hey Gizmo100,
Yeah I definitely have my hands full, but I'm still excited about it even though we found there's also a leak in the roof..  :eek:

The converter should also charge the on house batteries.
I would invest in a cheap test meter to check everything before I went to far.

Thanks I definitely will test it!

Roy,
yes so my assumption was correct, here's a picture I snapped from one of the compartment doors
I'll definitely be sure to hook them up correctly

The manual jacks would be fine, but my fianc?'s truck had his welder in the bed, we needed it to weld a gooseneck adapter to the 5th wheel hitch, - cause his truck was already set up for a gooseneck and towing would cost the same amount as the adapter ($400! :)( )
Hopefully the next time we move it, he'll unload his welder OR we'll have the motor available! I'll also post a pic of what I think is the key switch for the electric jack stands

Attachments

• IMG_4280 2.JPG
    IMG_4280 2.JPG
    309.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0438 2.JPG
    IMG_0438 2.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 28
IBTripping,

I've started doing SOME research on them, but I need to find out where they are located in this trailer! They set up their own septic system that they were using, but there probably won't be access to digging one where ever this thing lands. I was thinking about trying to find a used dry flush toilet.
I'll check out the library right now
I'm painting the cabinets and walls right now and need to pick up some more rollers so the next time I go to the store I'll pick one of those test lights, thanks for sharing the link!

Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_7454 2.JPG
    IMG_7454 2.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2147 2.JPG
    IMG_2147 2.JPG
    345.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3015 2.JPG
    IMG_3015 2.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7769 2.JPG
    IMG_7769 2.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7958 2.JPG
    IMG_7958 2.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 28
Do y'all know what the stuff is in this picture?
This pic is below where the stove would be, I see hot and cold water lines, the yellow line is the LP for the stove. I haven't checked to see where the black pipe leads to.
And I'm really unsure what the aluminum box is

Attachments

• IMG_6769 2.JPG
    IMG_6769 2.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 35
The aluminum box looks like it's your converter.  It's separate from the circuit breaker and fuse panel you showed in an earlier picture.  Most but not all RVs combine these into a single unit with the circuit breaker panel on top of the converter, yours happens to be seperate.

Can you find a nameplate showing the converter's make and model?

The black line looks like it's the sink drain.  If the plumbing is stock it will go into the top of a large black plastic tank hanging underneath the trailer's floor.

Lou,

All I caught on the fuse box was Model 80. I'll have to take another look at it and let you knoe

Alright I'll look underneath I'm sure that's what it is too

Key for Electric Jacks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Stanley-Toolbox-Keys-Code-Cut-EL151-to-EL200-Replacement-Tool-Box-Lock-Key-/221835077931

Look at other locks, most have numbers on them, pretty easy to replace.

Lou Schneider said:
The aluminum box looks like it's your converter.  It's separate from the circuit breaker and fuse panel you showed in an earlier picture.  Most but not all RVs combine these into a single unit with the circuit breaker panel on top of the converter, yours happens to be seperate.

Can you find a nameplate showing the converter's make and model?

The black line looks like it's the sink drain.  If the plumbing is stock it will go into the top of a large black plastic tank hanging underneath the trailer's floor.

You have a door under your stove (near the floor) that may give you a better view of a name plate on the converter.

The size of the black pipe means it is most likely the gray water line to the gray water tank. The gray water tank holds waste water from the sinks and tub/shower. The black water tank holds the toilet waste. However, since you have what looks like a residential toilet, the previous owners may have modified the black and gray water tanks so that they remain open. Just one of the things to add to your check list.

Looks like you've got a lot of fix it stuff to do, but should have a nice, comfortable RV when you are done. Although, there's always something to fix or modify on an RV. Kinda like owning an old house. But, you are off to a great start.

SpencerPJ said:
Key for Electric Jacks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Stanley-Toolbox-Keys-Code-Cut-EL151-to-EL200-Replacement-Tool-Box-Lock-Key-/221835077931

Look at other locks, most have numbers on them, pretty easy to replace.

Thanks SpencerPJ, I ordered them! It'll be nice to have those working!

IBTripping said:
However, since you have what looks like a residential toilet, the previous owners may have modified the black and gray water tanks so that they remain open.

Yeah it is a residential toilet, they had it set up to a septic system. What would be the first steps in switching back to the black and grey water tanks?

Also when I have further questions, do I continue posting to this thread or should I post in the 5th wheel travel trailer section?
Thanks everyone!!!

Mg_sc said:
Yeah it is a residential toilet, they had it set up to a septic system. What would be the first steps in switching back to the black and grey water tanks?

You would have to see if you even have a black tank. I've heard of people removing the tanks then just hard piped the drains.

Rene T said:
You would have to see if you even have a black tank.

I fee like this may be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask it anyways, to look for the black tank would I look under the trailer and literally look for a black tank and grey tank? Or would they be labeled??

Mg_sc said:
Also when I have further questions, do I continue posting to this thread or should I post in the 5th wheel travel trailer section?
Thanks everyone!!!

You can post any questions where you see fit. If one of the Staff feels it would get better exposure in another section, they'll move it.  If you have a water pressure question, post it under the Tech Talk section etc.. The only thing I'd ask is that you start a post for every question you have. It makes it much easier to respond to your question. Less confusing

Back
Top Bottom