What happened to states sticker maps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary RV_Wizard said:
If a hammer is your only tool, every problem begins to look like a nail...  ;) ;)

Gary's a pretty smart gay.....My stepson is getting to be a problem ;D

PancakeBill said:
Here is a question, do you fill in the state if you only drive through it?
Everyone gets to make their own rules on that one. Whatever lets you sleep well at night.

When I stayed at one of the RV parks in Joshua Tree, we were next to a lovely German couple with one of those half-million-dollar "earthroamer" off-road rigs.

Not only did they have a "states visited" map, they had a "countries visited" map, complete with sea-routes.

I was so jealous.

PancakeBill said:
Here is a question, do you fill in the state if you only drive through it?

I think we are only going to put a sticker on if we spend a night in that state.  But to each their own....

Peggyy said:
I think we are only going to put a sticker on if we spend a night in that state.  But to each their own....

Yeah, I personally lean to that line of thinking too.  I'll admit though that as a family we went more with a rule of visiting there in the rv...as in not just driving through but more like actually passing through, stopping for an activity... a museum...etc...  For us that was two
Mississippi where we've visited multiple times in the RV
and also Utah.  When we camped at Wahweep AZ, our camp site put our rear bumper on the order of a few yards from the state line...we couldn't pin it down exactly with GPS as the maps didn't want to agree.
The rest we stayed the night at least once, usually more.

This post is reminding me of something else I have.  Someplace buried out in my garage is a wall map I had in a long ago office.  I traveled a lot and used to put a tack everyplace I went on business trips.  A lot of holes in that map!

Poppop51, where did you get the state map thumbnail on the left of your posts?

I looked at the US State map over Christmas, and saw a few I liked. However, my concern is where to put it on the camper. Where?

We too do a lot of local trips. I figured I'd put a red star or gold star or something along those lines on the state for places we visit within the state. Kind of like a pin, but a sticker.

Laura & Charles said:
We put ours on the front of the curb side slide. (Easy to add a new state with the slide in.)
We find it is often a conversation starter from folks walking past our site.
Thank you Laura and Charles. After one and a half pages someone finally posted their map. :))

PopPop51 said:
We not only proudly display our map on the back of the trailer, we plaster the back with stickers from the places we visit.
Some may take it as bragging, and I won't deny there's an element of bragging involved, but there's more to it than that.
As a kid, my family did very little traveling: An annual trip to visit my parents' families (an all-day drive) and an annual week of fishing in Canada (another all-day drive with no side trips along the way and no exploring once we got to the cabin). Beyond that we seldom went anywhere beyond a 10-mile radius of home. We were 90 minutes from Washington DC yet it wasn't until I got my drivers license and went by myself that I saw the city.
I was born with itchy feet though, and those maps on the back of RVs let me know that my dreams were achievable - that regular people can and do travel as I dreamed to. From the comments I've gotten from people at gas stations and in parking lots, our display is serving the same motivational purpose for them.
The state stickers and location decals are also combination decor and mementos for us. We decorate our home with mementos of people and experiences, not for aesthetics. Its interior would never be featured in House Beautiful, but everything on display has a story from our personal history.

Thanks for this post. The misses and I discussed where to put the map sticker and various stickers we will collect during our travels. Her suggestion was the back of the camper, and I too like that idea. I like a lot of the points you bring up and we also collect mementos of places visited. I also collect hat tacks/pins. Back in the day people collected spoons, but we prefer a souvenir from a local craftsmen to add to our collection.
We may not visit a lot of states until retirement, however we will add a gold star to mark the locations in each state where we camped.

We don?t have one on the rig, but we keep a big map at home with pins from the parks and monuments we go to. It has been some place for a Kevin to put his pin collection after his hat got too heavy wit them LOL! It is fun to visit the park gift shop and look through their collection for the one that seems to say what we liked best about a place. Pretty much all tourists places have the pins these days.

Back
Top Bottom