Onan Emerald 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stubbe

Hello, I bought a 1990 Lexington 30ft rv. With it came an onan emerald 1 generator (propane). It originally wouldn't stay running when I released the start button. I ended up buying the same model but the gas version that ran and produced 120v. I then swapped out the carburetor etc from the propane engine to the gas one. Now it runs for a second (get about 95volts) and dies almost immediately. if i hold the start button it will run, die, and start back up again. To me it seems that it is having issues going from 12v starting to the 120v running mode. Any ideas on what would cause this?

Thanks MS

Check the bridge rectifier. We had a similar problem a couple of times with the generator in our old 88 Suncruiser. (run as long as the start button was pressed). The button supplies DC to get it running, the rectifier supplies slef generated DC to keep it running.

I finally learned to carry a spare rectifier bridge with us.

Looking at my model number 4BGELA26110G and the generator itself, it doesn't appear to have a bridge rectifier. Is there another part on these models that do the same thing, but are potentially called something else. I do have a 'rectifier' in my wiring harness, just not sure that's the same thing.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom