The good lord gave me another chance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Today when working on my RV battery, as always I am very careful not to touch anything that will set a spark as the propane tanks are right there as well.  But today I could not find my open end wrench so I used a crecent wrench and again I had taken the cables off and on several times today with no issue.  But the last time I put them on I had a bad charlie horse in my leg and it threw me off balance and for a milisecond the end of my crecent brushed against the full propane tank while touching the battery post and the tank went pingggggggggggggggggggggg.      After I was able to straighten my leg I looked at the battery and tank and thought "im so glad im still here, thank you lord for another chance". 

I don't really know if propane tanks can blow up that way but at least I know there is no leak.  Tomorrow Im gonna find that dang open end wrench and never use the crecent wrench again. At least the open end wrench is not long enough to reach the tank. 

When disconnecting the battery, always remove the negative cable first then the positive cable. When connecting, just the opposite, always connect the positive cable then the negative cable.

While I don't think I've ever sparked against my propane tank - such a thing should not cause a fireball.

That aside, as hard as I've tried I've done lots of mods on my various trailers electrical systems and I'd say 50% of those mods there was a big current spark at least once.  Yeah.....I'm dangerous.

Never blew a fuse or cause damage - maybe I'm lucky or maybe it is normal....not sure :)

-Kyle

Rene T said:
I believe I have this right. When disconnecting the battery, remove the negative cable first then the positive cable. When connecting, just the opposite, always connect the positive cable then the negative cable.

X'2 on this

If I did have to remove a positive cable I would wrap a rag around handle end of the wrench...But I always remove the ground first.

AH, yes all those important rules when working around electricity,

Another good one is don't be the fusible link

Also when working with very high voltage keep one hand in your pocket so that if you do get zapped with high voltage/current it will not pass from one hand thru your chest, (heart) and out the other hand.

I am not talking DC here but more like overhead line voltage or main breaker box voltage.

I had an Uncle tell me that and I think that there must be some validity to it.

HueyPilotVN said:
Also when working with very high voltage keep one hand in your pocket so that if you do get zapped with high voltage/current it will not pass from one hand thru your chest, (heart) and out the other hand.

I am not talking DC here but more like overhead line voltage or main breaker box voltage.

To be more specific I heard it was the hand away from your heart, so the right hand.  If I am correct it will travel down your leg instead of accross your chest to your heart, but I could be wrong.

HueyPilotVN said:

That makes sense Bill. Now all I need to do is remember to do it the next time I'm in my entrance panel at home.

Yes you should disconnect the negative first and connect it last.

As for the propane tank.. Would take a whole lot more than that to make it blow. THey are very very well designed an built.

Gizmo100 said:
X'2 on this

If I did have to remove a positive cable I would wrap a rag around handle end of the wrench...But I always remove the ground first.

The negative terminal won't spark to anything except the positive battery post.

And once the negative cable is removed, the only thing the positive terminal will spark to is the battery's negative post.

Today I put the positive on first then the negative and it sparked, I thought it was:

OFF  negative then positive
ON    positive then negative

I am using the bolt terminals on the battery not the normal terminals.  Why the spark?

djw2112 said:
Today I put the positive on first then the negative and it sparked, I thought it was:

I am using the bolt terminals on the battery not the normal terminals.  Why the spark?

Because you have a load on somewhere.  Try making sure that everything that you can turn off that is 12 volts is off.

Edit: It might also be a charger or the convertor is sending current to charge your battery.  Try not having your charger or convertor plugged into A/C.

djw2112 said:

You did it right...The connection will spark....But the wrench will not cause a problem if you hit a ground spot with the wrench.

Thanks, I think it is probably impossible to turn everything off. There is a CO2 sensor that does not have a on off switch, the fridge even when off has sensors that are still live and im sure some other stuff that is not able to be turned off.  But that explains it, thank you so much, you are all very knowledgable.  :))

The converter has capacitors to smooth the output.  These will cause a momentary spark while they recharge when you connect the final wire to the battery but it's nothing to worry about.

What causes damage is a prolonged short circuit ... longer than a half second or so.

If it were mine. I'd put a cover over that propane tank so there is no way I could run electricity through it while working on the battery...
:eek:

Hanr3 said:
If it were mine. I'd put a cover over that propane tank so there is no way I could run electricity through it while working on the battery...
:eek:

Great idea, I was thinking of adding a partition between the two just in case there is a leak, but maybe painting the tank with some rubberized compound might be good as well.  It is similar to most 5th wheels with the two doors on the front side under the bed area. It is all one open space now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom