Wyoming Range boondocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richclover

Early October snow a few years ago.    Lotsa fun!

Last September, no snow and the new truck and camper.  Same camp spot.

Attachments

• Oct camp resize.jpg
    Oct camp resize.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 159
  • camp resize.jpg
    camp resize.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 176
2PawsRiver said:
Nice set up

Thanks!  Wife and I had a toy hauler previously (Vortex in the snow), and carried one ATV in that and the second in the long-bed Dodge.  Quite a load.  These days it?s easier, and more comfortable, having the Coleman. The UTV rides on a trailer behind a Nissan Frontier. 

Looks fab.  We drove MacDougall Gap from Warren Bridge and it was so lovely. We want to do more exploration in that area.....

Enjoy your new rig...

jackiemac said:
Looks fab.  We drove MacDougall Gap from Warren Bridge and it was so lovely. We want to do more exploration in that area.....

Enjoy your new rig...

Thanks!

Summer 2015 we enjoyed a driving tour: 
Hadrian's Wall, Edinburgh, Inverness, Culloden, Skye.  Lots of history and castles along the way.  Visited Midhope Castle (Lallybroch in the Outlander series).  Alastair, of Scottish Clans and Castles, gave us a wonderful tour.  No caravans however.  Hotels and castles for overnights.  Beautiful country!

richclover said:
Thanks!

Summer 2015 we enjoyed a driving tour: 
Hadrian's Wall, Edinburgh, Inverness, Culloden, Skye.  Lots of history and castles along the way.  Visited Midhope Castle (Lallybroch in the Outlander series).  Alastair, of Scottish Clans and Castles, gave us a wonderful tour.  No caravans however.  Hotels and castles for overnights.  Beautiful country!
Ooh nice.  Yes Scotland is pretty but we don't often get good weather to enjoy it!  I am glad you had a great time.

jackiemac said:

Enjoy your new rig...

I had to look up the Warren Bridge campground, Jackie.  And the MacDougall Gap forest service road.  Our usual haunts are south of Lake Alice .  All beautiful country!  I trust you keep a couple of bear sprays at hand  ;)

Do you have one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme%C2%AE-Wyoming-Gazetteer-Delorme-Gazeteer/dp/1946494089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548969486&sr=8-1&keywords=delorme+atlas+%26+gazetteer+wyoming

Very nice books.  Topo maps with lots of detail.

richclover said:
I had to look up the Warren Bridge campground, Jackie.  And the MacDougall Gap forest service road.  Our usual haunts are south of Lake Alice .  All beautiful country!  I trust you keep a couple of bear sprays at hand  ;)

Do you have one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme%C2%AE-Wyoming-Gazetteer-Delorme-Gazeteer/dp/1946494089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548969486&sr=8-1&keywords=delorme+atlas+%26+gazetteer+wyoming

Very nice books.  Topo maps with lots of detail.
There are boondocking spots along the Green river close to Warren Bridge but some were a bit steep for us we thought. We stayed along in Boulder at the Highline Trail RV Park which was nice and did a few floats down the river in our canoe. I've attached a photo. Green River Lakes was amazing but no way we were taking the TT up that road, too rough for us. And the horse flies were biting too.

Union Pass, particularly at the Dubois side is so beautiful.

We weren't hiking but we do have a bear spray with us.

We prefer the Benchmark maps as they have more detail and are a bit better organised.

We are very much in love with Wyoming. We thought the area along the Grey river looked interesting  and a guy we met wants to take us into the Red Desert.

We were told the area around Kemmerer was nice but we didn't get down there, but we will.

The next village to us here at home is Oakley!

You are lucky to spend time there!

Attachments

• 1543439836362.jpg
    1543439836362.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 35
Oakley...  On the A907, north of Edinburgh?  As it happens Jill and I visited Culross during our tour.  Another location for filming the Outlander series.  Actually during the entire 10 days we had only 1 rainy afternoon.  Very nice weather, early June in Scotland!  No midges.  And, at our insistence, the local spirits store now sells Talisker from Skye.  Good sipping with a log on the fire on a cold, snowy evening!

Very nice photo.  I?ve seen that sky!

We?re not familiar with the Red Desert, but the Greys River country is awesome. North of Kemmerer, Ham?s Fork river or north of Cokeville, east of the Smith?s Fork is our most familiar territory.  Lots of wildlife, some in our freezer ;) 

South of us, in Utah, is the Mirror Lake Scenic Highway.  Wyoming and Utah highway 150.  The High Uinta Mountains.  Some commercial campgrounds and lots of places in the National Forest for boondocking.

So many places and so little time!

I will look at the Benchmark maps. I?m always interested in the trip planning and mapping technology.

Sad time of year...  We're hoping to get 'er out in March for some projects then a trip south.
It'll depend on the spring snowfall.  Might take some diggin'  ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20190202_154057.jpg
    IMG_20190202_154057.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 36
  Rich, It looks as though everyone in the state is getting winter but us. Here at the house, snow is almost all gone, daytime temperatures are in the upper 30?s most days, haven?t had measurable snow since around the first of the year, and have seen very few nights below zero this year.  Unlike the I-80 corridor, which seems to be closed, more than open for the last week or so. I?m not complaining, because February has been known to be brutal.....time will tell!

Memtb said:
  Rich, It looks as though everyone in the state is getting winter but us. Here at the house, snow is almost all gone, daytime temperatures are in the upper 30?s most days, haven?t had measurable snow since around the first of the year, and have seen very few nights below zero this year.  Unlike the I-80 corridor, which seems to be closed, more than open for the last week or so. I?m not complaining, because February has been known to be brutal.....time will tell!

Right, ask me in April what kind of winter it'll be!

Meantime...  Our county is the only one in WY covered by the NWS in Salt Lake.  Less than an inch of snow forecast here last night and today.  So...  A bad day in the bird feeder.  2 hours later the birds are grounded in the spruce trees, we can barely see across the yard, 6" down since 4 AM and I-80 closed in my corner of the state.  Not even a Winter Weather Advisory!

Groundhog Day???

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_094101.jpg
    IMG_20190203_094101.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190203_080144.jpg
    IMG_20190203_080144.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 27
    Rich, It appears that your getting a little weather down your way. It seems that I -80 has been closed more than open, the last week or so. Around here, winter generally consists of cold, little  to no snow, short days, with a lot of overcast days. I would like to get the amount of snow, that you folks get.

If I can ever get my back better, we need to ?dewinterize? our little class c, and go do a little camping with some ice fishing, thrown in!

Memtb said:
    Rich, It appears that your getting a little weather down your way. It seems that I -80 has been closed more than open, the last week or so. Around here, winter generally consists of cold, little  to no snow, short days, with a lot of overcast days. I would like to get the amount of snow, that you folks get.

If I can ever get my back better, we need to ?dewinterize? our little class c, and go do a little camping with some ice fishing, thrown in!

Get your back better, Todd!  I had the surgery a couple of years ago...

4 more days of snow for another 16".  Below 0degF this morning.  Over 100% snow pack for the Bear River Drainage,  A very "normal" winter!

Snow Dogs with coats and boots:

Attachments

• Snow dogs resize.jpg
    Snow dogs resize.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 35
richclover said:
Get your back better, Todd!  I had the surgery a couple of years ago...

4 more days of snow for another 16".  Below 0degF this morning.  Over 100% snow pack for the Bear River Drainage,  A very "normal" winter!

Snow Dogs with coats and boots:
Oh they're cute!

jackiemac said:
Oh they're cute!

Thanks, Jackie!

Problem is they know that!

Both are adopted.  Buddy, the bigger guy, was a stray picked up by a Dog Catcher.  He?s a Border Collie/Red Heeler mix... We think. 

Bitsy, a mini Aussie Shepherd, was an owner surrender that her foster mom could no longer keep.  We refer to her as ?Her Ladyship ?.  Her opinion is not to be questioned.  So she thinks!

They are the classic ?Lady and the Tramp?.  Both can be very ?Vocal?, so we?re training for the coming summer travels.

Almost a year with us, with formal obedience training,  and doing well.  We?re happy to give them a home!

I admire you greatly for adopting the pooches, it's a wonderful thing to do. They look well loved. Our dog died 6 years ago and we still miss him a lot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom