Wyoming Range boondocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jackiemac said:
I admire you greatly for adopting the pooches, it's a wonderful thing to do. They look well loved. Our dog died 6 years ago and we still miss him a lot.

Thank you!

It's always hard to lose a pet.  We adopted our Aussie Shepherd, Sparky, from a shelter just a few days before he was to be put down.  He gave us 12 years of love and devotion.  We lost him two years ago and will never stop missing him!

He'd been swimming just before this was snapped:

Attachments

• Sparky resize.jpg
    Sparky resize.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 29
richclover said:
Thank you!

It's always hard to lose a pet.  We adopted our Aussie Shepherd, Sparky, from a shelter just a few days before he was to be put down.  He gave us 12 years of love and devotion.  We lost him two years ago and will never stop missing him!

He'd been swimming just before this was snapped:
What a beautiful dog!

Yes you never stop missing them....

Here is Dougal on a cold, windy day with the River Forth in the background.....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1549146048544.jpg
    FB_IMG_1549146048544.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 23
jackiemac said:
Here is Dougal on a cold, windy day with the River Forth in the background.....

Dougal was taken care of.  We like our coats on cold windy days!

July 4th weekend, 2017.  One of those 100-mile visibility days.  Camped just off the Big Spring Scenic Backway.  Raymond Mountain in the background to the west.  Breakfast on the griddle!

On the way up we shredded the left rear trailer tire.  And... Dragged it for ??? miles before the dust allowed me to see the damage.  We had help from a passing "Good Sam", made it to the camp site with the axle spring planted solidly on the frame.  His son brought more shackles from town that evening.  Some creative, careful work with various jacks and we had new shackles.  The TPMS is on the desk awaiting install.

Attachments

• July 2017 resize.jpg
    July 2017 resize.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 41
  • busted tire.jpg
    busted tire.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 32
  • busted shackles.jpg
    busted shackles.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 34
Wow, I missed this earlier.  Lucky you didn't have more damage.  Glad you had someone there to assist..

jackiemac said:
Wow, I missed this earlier.  Lucky you didn't have more damage.  Glad you had someone there to assist..

Lucky indeed!  We always help others when we can.  Our shredded tire resulted from a sidewall puncture.  The forest service had put down crushed rock on that section of road due to heavy logging truck traffic.  Our ?helper? had been camping in the area for a week and said that ours was the 5th flat tire he?d seen.  With that a pickup truck came around the corner and stopped. Two more flat tires!  They had a spare and I gave them 2 spray cans of flat fix and let them use my 12V compressor.  The effort got them going...

Edit:  As stated earlier I have a TPMS ready to install as soon as the spring snow melt allows  ;)

Oh dear indeed!

Unfortunately, undersized shackles are not uncommon in the RV industry. A person needs to inspect the running gear carefully every year because of hole elongation. You may have cut the tire on a sharp rock, or the shackle may have let go and dropped the trailer on the tire.

When you get the unit back home, consider an aftermarket kit of thicker shackles and wet bolts with greasable zerk fittings for the spring eyes with bronze bushings.

Frank B said:
Oh dear indeed!

Unfortunately, undersized shackles are not uncommon in the RV industry. A person needs to inspect the running gear carefully every year because of hole elongation. You may have cut the tire on a sharp rock, or the shackle may have let go and dropped the trailer on the tire.

When you get the unit back home, consider an aftermarket kit of thicker shackles and wet bolts with greasable zerk fittings for the spring eyes with bronze bushings.

Thanks for the tips re:  wet bolts and heavy shackles, Frank!  I will look into it.

For sure, the shackles broke because of the dragging busted tire.  My local tire shop agreed... it wasn?t free rolling on the unpaved road.

And, for sure, I won?t be towing my TT anywhere without the TPMS installed  ;)

After 12-15? new snow a couple of days ago...  it?s not looking good for an early camp!

An April road trip south is in the works, but the storage lot folks will need to help out with their snowplow!

Rich, With all the weather that hit the eastern part of the state, we got.....zip, nodda, nothing!  Of course, maybe a few days of spot and stalk bear hunting may be in order in early May!

Memtb said:
    Rich, With all the weather that hit the eastern part of the state, we got.....zip, nodda, nothing!  Of course, maybe a few days of spot and stalk bear hunting may be in order in early May!

I'm still hoping to get the camper home second week of April.  A road trip to Mesquite is in the works.  A practice run before a major trip east ...

Photos:  One just after the last big snow, Mar 14th.  Another, across the backyard, taken a few days ago.  But the robins are back.  Springtime in the Rockies!

Attachments

• BY resize.jpg
    BY resize.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 14
  • March snow resize.jpg
    March snow resize.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 11
      Quote:  I'm still hoping to get the camper home second week of April.  A road trip to Mesquite is in the works.  A practice run before a major trip east ...

Photos:  One just after the last big snow, Mar 14th.  Another, across the backyard, taken a few days ago.  But the robins are back.  Springtime in the Rockies!

Warming nicely here. We had a low of a minus 12 around the 4th of the month, and now our highs are right around 60. Robins are back here as well. They’ve been here about 2 -3 weeks.....just about enough Robin breasts for a good gumbo!  ;D  Just kidd’n, don’t want to freak-out the fellow campers here!  Probably should rethink the Robin breasts, as we left all the elk for “seed”!  :'(

I ran across this photo from some years ago.  Taken by a hunting camp buddy who was about 4 hours late to camp.  Not his rig, but the road was, obviously, blocked.  It took a lot of work and a big wrecker from Kemmerer, WY, to get the trailer back on the road.  This would have been the second week of October.  Ice on the road and no chains on the truck or camper.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 20
Here are a couple more.  Little Greys River, WY, Oct 1995.  Really nice fall weather one day and winter the next.  The "very used" trailer and ole Chevy Blazer made up the first RV outfit.  Quite a learning curve since then!

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 19
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 22
  Rich, We used to hunt the Smith’s Fork, camping at poker Hollow. Have chained-up numerous times, as the road is often on the shaded side of the ridge, and “cambered” toward a substantial drop-off. Wouldn’t want 20K pounds of camper plus the truck going over the edge!!  ;)

Our first “real” hunting camper taken to Poker Hollow , was an ‘80 something Coachman. We decided pretty quickly, If we didn’t want to continue digging latrines and not having running water ( showers, toilets, ect.), we had to upgrade to a real 4-season camper. Which, lead us to “accidentally” discovering Teton 5th wheels! 

The photo of camper over the edge.....was that at the “switchbacks” on the Ham’s Fork?

Right, Todd, starting up the switchbacks, lower section, after crossing the Ham?s Fork bridge.

I wasn?t there, but I?ll guess that the truck lost traction and slid backwards, stopping with the front on the inside bank and the camper hung up over the edge.

I?ve been up and down that hill lots of times and never regretted chaining up when I thought it was necessary.  One day we were easing down the icy road, chains on truck and camper, and got safely stopped uphill from a truck blocking the road.  We helped the couple finish installing their chains  ;)

Frank B said:
Oh dear indeed!

Finally...  The snow and ice melted down enough to "free" the trailer.  The local tire shop installed steel valve stems and the TPMS has been programmed. 

The trailer is back in the storage lot and sitting in deep ruts in the mud.  And it's snowing today... again.  A trip south is in the works in 10 days  ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20190408_160935.jpg
    IMG_20190408_160935.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom