Herring run Sunday in SF Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke Boater

Lisa and I splashed out little Boston Whaler that we use for inshore fishing Sunday Morning at Richmond Harbor. Our target was Herring that come into the Bay to spawn. We had a short window since we had a BDay to go to later. Herring is one of the few fish we can net as long as its a cast net. Ended up with about 30lbs of Herring that will be used for bait for the coming fishing season and I'll pickle some for us. Absolutely gorgeous day to be on the water. It's something to do while waiting for our ocean season to start, and helps offset the cost of buying bait,,,gregg

Attachments

• herring 2.jpg
    herring 2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 33
  • herring 1.jpg
    herring 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 29
  • herring 4.jpg
    herring 4.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 29
  • herring 3.jpg
    herring 3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 31
That herring spawn will be a magnet for the sturgeon.

I loved my small Whaler. Converted it to a bass boat and used it in the Delta.

Saw a guy cooking sturgeon over coals on the food channel the other day. He wrapped the fish in what looked like chicken wire and hung it over the coals. Looked delicious when finished. My father in-law used to make pickled herring. Pretty tasty with a cold beer.

From the olde country - smoked herring, otherwise known as kippers. Prior to my time, my Dad stayed at a B&B while working away from home; The landlady used to feed him kippers for breakfast or dinner.

Tom said:
From the olde country - smoked herring, otherwise known as kippers. Prior to my time, my Dad stayed at a B&B while working away from home; The landlady used to feed him kippers for breakfast or dinner.

When we were in Scotland, Lock Awe, I had kippers and eggs for breakfast. Delicious. My favorite was haggis and a poached egg.

Oldgator73 said:
When we were in Scotland, Lock Awe, I had kippers and eggs for breakfast. Delicious. My favorite was haggis and a poached egg.
Loch, the English pronounce it Lock.....

Those herring look delicious!  Well done.

Too bad they can't improve auto correct to work for guys so that when we say something it comes out the way she wants to hear it rather than how we say it :)

djw2112 said:
Too bad they can't improve auto correct to work for guys so that when we say something it comes out the way she wants to hear it rather than how we say it :)

Ha ha, ain't gonna happen......  ;D

Lowell said:
What will you do to preserve it for bait? Freeze it?
Yep, bag it in lots of 20 and freeze. 20 is about right for a day of fishing for Ling Cod and Halibut. I'll cure it a day before the trip with a mixture of salt and powdered milk to firm it up so it'll stay on the hook,,,gregg

Broke Boater said:
Yep, bag it in lots of 20 and freeze. 20 is about right for a day of fishing for Ling Cod and Halibut. I'll cure it a day before the trip with a mixture of salt and powdered milk to firm it up so it'll stay on the hook,,,gregg
Giving away your secrets.... look forward to the update on how many biggies you catch with them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom