Best Fishing Spots in MN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerd

Does anybody have any good fishing spots south of the Twin Cities? I am getting kind of tired of panfish. I want some variety this year. Its been over 10 years since I gave caught any gamefish, so that would be a refreshment.

I do have a few spots on the Mississippi for Catfish, but since the shore is rocks, I don't trust my clumsy kids near there. I do have a boat, but I am a novice when it comes to navigating the river and don't want to risk cracking the fiberglass.

My brother and I are considering bow fishing, so if anybody has a good spot for that, let me know those too.

South of the Twin Cities the lakes get shallower and shallower but there are a few that aren't bad.  Marion at Lakeville, Prior Lake aren't too bad until the water gets warm enough for jet skies and water skiers.  Then it's pretty bad at least on weekends.  Cannon Lake at Faribault is OK but when you get west of there there is a string of lakes that are pretty good.  Washington, Jefferson, Elysian, and my favorite Lake Francis.

We do have a few small lakes closer in, Carl's lake is good for pan fish, Fox Lake, Circle Lake, ect.

The last time I tried to launch at Circle I couldn't get away from the launch area as sit was too shallow.  Don't know if they fixed that yet.

I can get pretty shallow in my boat. I think the back only sits in the water about 8 inches with 4 people and a big cooler. I can safely drive in about 2 feet as long as I know that there are no obstructions in the water.

Weeds are a little dicey since my trolling motor is mounted on the lower unit. I have considered buying a trolling motor, but I bought this boat for $400 and put $200 into repairing it, so a trolling motor likely costs more than the boat and my wife probably won't go for that.

Do you have any specific locations at any of those lakes to help me get some trophies or which baits/lures to use? Worms and a bobber are my best methods right now. I don't get much luck with the few divers that I have unless I'm trolling.  I am still learning how to detect a good spot. I know to look for fallen trees, but that usually just brings me more panfish.

Is there a reason for limiting you to south of the twin cities?  If you are looking for larger game fish, you may have to come north.

O man, Walleye any day I can get, which is only when I visit family in N. Minn and we go to Lake of the Woods. Go north, even over to Devils Lake N.D. I get that closer to home is what your asking about, sorry no help south. Hell, here in Cali some days we pull my 24' boat 5 hours north over a crappy twisty mountain Hwy to a coastal harbor when the fish show up there and return home that night. Yea its a long day, but we go to the fish no matter what,,,gregg

cerd said:
I can get pretty shallow in my boat. I think the back only sits in the water about 8 inches with 4 people and a big cooler. I can safely drive in about 2 feet as long as I know that there are no obstructions in the water.

Weeds are a little dicey since my trolling motor is mounted on the lower unit. I have considered buying a trolling motor, but I bought this boat for $400 and put $200 into repairing it, so a trolling motor likely costs more than the boat and my wife probably won't go for that.

Do you have any specific locations at any of those lakes to help me get some trophies or which baits/lures to use? Worms and a bobber are my best methods right now. I don't get much luck with the few divers that I have unless I'm trolling.  I am still learning how to detect a good spot. I know to look for fallen trees, but that usually just brings me more panfish.
I'd probably try Cannon Lake because it's fairly large and that water shed is stocked.  There are several lakes that the Cannon River runs through and the fishing has always been pretty good.

kjansen said:
Is there a reason for limiting you to south of the twin cities?  If you are looking for larger game fish, you may have to come north.
With a wife and 2 kids, I rarely have time to plan a whole day, let alone a weekend, so I don't want to drive 4 hours for 4 hours of fishing.

It's a couple hours drive but I used to fish the Mississippi from Lake City.  Lake Pepin at that point is huge with many good spots to fish.  You can also launch just south of Red Wing or in Red Wing itself, but then you have to slowly work south through the city.  Actually a pretty nice ride though.

Are there any locks along the way? My wife refuses to take our fishing boat through the locks since there have been a few boats that got too close to the filler ports and sank.

Hello from a fellow Minnesotan. 

I'm a flyfisher so my favorite spots might or might not be relevant but I get a weekly fishing report from Explore MN.  Here'e the Link: 
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/?tab=wm#search/fishing+update/FMfcgxwBVWJTGSRmQhkXzPgDbpXMnSfl

You might also want to check out the fishing reports on Outdoors Weekly.com  Link:  https://www.outdoorsweekly.com/category/fishing-reports/central-mn/

The MN DNR's website has stocking and fishing reports.

I've found local bait and pro fishing shops to be helpful.

Of course right now all the MN Fishing Reports are focused on Ice Fishing.

cerd said:
Are there any locks along the way? My wife refuses to take our fishing boat through the locks since there have been a few boats that got too close to the filler ports and sank.

No, the locks are north of Red Wing and well to the south of Pepin.  I have been through the locks though, and it was no problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSM0518
Back
Top Bottom