Extreme Cold + RV = ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

This weeks cold temps in the Northeastern US really makes me wonder if there is anyone in that area trying to survive fulltime in an RV.  It's one thing for it to be 20 degress outside, I myself have survived that using two good space heaters.  But -45 degrees is quite another ballgame.  I am sure that most full timers go somewhere else even for a week or so, or have other solutions such as a motel or something for a week.  But like most humanity there are also those that try to make it in such hostile environments.    I could never ever see myself trying to survive in my RV at -45 degrees, I would consider that asking for suicide by cold. 

They say it has not been this cold in that area for many many years, looks like the alltime low was -27 degrees in 1985. 

So let's say someone was going to attempt this:  first is it possible and second what could they do quickly to highten their chances of survival success.

1. I would take a blanket and totally cover up the door, the doors of RV seem to be the weakest part of the insulation factor, and the same with any windows. 

2. I would make the survival area inside the RV as small as I could.  Meaning that if there is nothing to be really damaged in the bedroom then seal that off from heat and that way you are heating a smaller space. The smaller the space the better the heat will be retained longer.

3. I would also toss some blanket on the floor even if you have rugs down.  The floor is another place that you will lose alot of heat. 

4. I would close or seal off any additional slideouts and I would seal off any slideout area such as the dinette or sofa area.  Many units must have those out to be able to walk around the RV so since you cannot close them just seal them off.

5.  Remember to ventilate if you are running gas heater, you do need some kind of air flow so that you don't get sick or worse from the vapors.

6.  If you are using portable heaters be sure they are sitting on something non flammable and there is nothing flammable within a few feet of them.

Any other suggestions or corrections to what I have posted above.  I did not get into food choices but I would think microwave would be a good choice.

Also I do suppose that it will be different for a Class A than a 5th wheel.

Molaker said:
One you left off and that I would place as #1 is:

1. Fuel up and head south ASAP. :)

LOL  I totally agree, but just like some people refuse to leave during a hurricane, there are those as well that will not leave due to the cold.

The difference is a hurricane is over in a few hours, life threatening cold can last several days or weeks.  A marathon vs. a sprint.

I think some kind of insulated skirting around the bottom of the rv would be advisable. It would help protect the tanks especially if its windy. Full water tank would be less likely to freeze through than a partially full one. Id suggest filling up, then disconnecting from the water faucet and draining your water hose and also your sewer hose. Some rvs work better for cold than others i.e. ones with enclosed and heated tanks. Some ventilation would also be needed to reduce condensation just from breathing.

Lou Schneider said:
The difference is a hurricane is over in a few hours, life threatening cold can last several days or weeks.  A marathon vs. a sprint.

Very true!   

I know that in my unit I am lucky because all I have to do is turn the pump off and open all the sink valves,  and shower valve, and hold down the toilet pedal until the water runs dry and most of the water is out of my water lines.  Those lines are against the bottom of the floor so as long as I keep the bathroom warm the lines should not freeze.  Also my water heater and pump and all under the cabinet.  So with all of that and space heaters and the cabinet doors open I have been able to avoid broken lines and water freezes of any kind other than the tanks.  And for the tanks I use windshield washer solution, nothing you can do about the fresh water but the other tanks it does help to keep them from freezing.

One thing you have to consider.. if you need your furnace running to keep the underneath heated, then running a space heater might keep the furnace from turning on.

cadee2c said:
I think some kind of insulated skirting around the bottom of the rv would be advisable. It would help protect the tanks especially if its windy. Full water tank would be less likely to freeze through than a partially full one. Id suggest filling up, then disconnecting from the water faucet and draining your water hose and also your sewer hose. Some rvs work better for cold than others i.e. ones with enclosed and heated tanks. Some ventilation would also be needed to reduce condensation just from breathing.

Excellent idea, and hopefully being in that part of the country they have already skirted their unit. If not they are in for a very rude awakening indeed.

Molaker said:

Unfortunately some people live and work and can't always just pick up and leave.

I used to own a small house that was very close to being a trailer home.

It had a crawl space and was all one level.... In bad winters the pipes would freeze...
until I started to put a light in the crawl space..... and I insulated all the pipes...
I did upgrade the regular light bulb to a heat lamp.

I think if your RV was skirted and you piled bales of straw around the skirt up past the top of the skirt, then ran a couple of regular 100w light bulbs in those caged garage light setups .... you could keep it warm enough to stop a full pipe freeze... maybe?

cadee2c said:
Moving it into a heated barn or garage would be nice :)
If this done, one must be sure to properly handle LP appliance exhaust fumes - mainly, the furnace (if used), although the water heater can generate a healthy unhealthy amount of CO and CO2.

Molaker said:

Did that back in NOV. outside thermometer says 39 That's still ABOVE freezing though it may freeze (outside the RV) tonight Duke will keep me warm.

High tomorrow here in Iowa is -15 with a low of -31 and a windchill of -50 to -60 below. That?s Fahrenheit, although not much difference at these temps.

No RVing on our part in this kind of weather.

Even if it?s 50 where you?re at, I wouldn?t complain  8)

Assuming they already set the camper up for winter camping, then add another layer of clothes and /or blankets.
I would also set the thermostat to HOLD, taking it off of program mode. Once the camper gets cold, the furnace will struggle to maintain those cold temps. Plus you will burn a ton of fuel. have plenty on hand and a couple of auxiliary heat sources for safety and help maintain temps.

The coldest we've seen over the years so far was with our previous coach in southern Virginia when it hit -4 deg.F in January 6-7 years ago. We were quite comfortable, but the furnace sure sucked down a lot of propane! Fortunately it was only that cold for one night though, and the only pipe that froze was a short stub that tied our accumulator tank in to the main water line. The only thing that did was cause the pump to run every time a faucet was opened until it thawed out later in the day. No harm done...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom