Wanting to carry a motorcycle ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brens

We are looking to get a motorcycle as our toad. I'm looking to get some type of rack to put in the hitch to hold the bike. Thanks for any suggestions

brens said:
We are looking to get a motorcycle as our toad. I'm looking to get some type of rack to put in the hitch to hold the bike. Thanks for any suggestions
I use an "Add-A-Bike" which requires no straps. Model ABHD.  But it can scratch up some bikes, which is easily fixed with some tape or whatever where the vertical bar touches the bike's tank. These are good for up to 400 lbs.

For my motorcycle used on the above ramp, I use an electric motorcycle, which has no clutch and a low speed throttle response that no ICE motorcycle can match. I walk the bike up the ramp with the electric motorcycle doing all the work.

The motorcycle that I always take on these RV trips is  the 2017 Zero DS 6.5. The newer version is the 2019 Zero DS 7.2 which weights less than 320 lbs. I have used this combo on my RV all over the country.

I have a travel trunk and saddle bags for mine, that can be easily removed. It has been extra handy to bring stuff back to the RV while the RV is parked and for just getting around town.

The handle bar is low on this bike so the vertical bar needs to be cut shorter on the ramp or else it will not clear and will have to lean the bike to the left  to clear it.  Also, watch the foot peg when it gets to the vertical bar.

But I have found this to be an easy safe combination for an RV and it only takes one person to get the bike up the ramp in about 30 seconds or so.
If you do carry an electric motorcycle like I do, is a a front brake lock while carrying the bike on the ramp. These bikes are like being in neutral at all times.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Many options on Google.  It depends on the weight of the bike.  If you plan to haul a Goldwing or Harley to tour the areas (awesome idea btw), you will need a better system or a modified dolly, because a simple hitch isn't going to do well with a 900 bike bouncing around on it.

our old MH with the Yamaha Majesty on it..
I made the carrier out of a Harbor Freight carrier that I modified.

The Majesty weighs about 550 lbs..

Hauled it all over the country..

I have made 4 of these carriers for friends..

Bob

Attachments

• yamaha majesty on carrier2.jpg
    yamaha majesty on carrier2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 30
  • new carrier with 83 cr250.jpg
    new carrier with 83 cr250.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 31
  • mh with majesty motorhome.jpg
    mh with majesty motorhome.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 26
brens said:

Don knows all about motorcycles.

I wanted to mention that someone here on the forum had listed a motorcycle carrier just a short time ago.  He was going to quit riding and wanted to sell his setup.

Go to the for sale section and you will probably find it.

Edit:  Found it

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,119521.msg1088329.html#msg1088329

It all depends upon what you want and need for two-wheeled transportation. If you're only wanting a bike for the local five-mile runs to the store, lake, trailhead, and the like, you might consider a lighter bike (or scooter) with about a 150cc engine. These tend to weigh in at 200-260 lbs, something I would think your Winnebago Sightseer could handle. You might want to run the numbers on what your current, fully-laden weight is versus the GVWR for the Sightseer to see how much bike and carrier you can carry. If you're already close to max, you shouldn't be considering a 600 lb. bike on a 150 lb. carrier. On the other hand, if you want to make 50-100 mile runs during the day riding 2-up and carrying lunch, let's hope the Sightseer has the GVWR to support it all.

brens said:

Looking to get a motorcycle -  I will assume that you don't have one yet - is that right?

I will also assume that your wife will be going with you, so 2 up on a bike is more comfortable with a bigger bike in most cases.
If you are going to use it to get groceries you will want a trunk and saddlebags to carry stuff.  And the bigger the motorcycle
the bigger the storage space - usually.

Will that be your ONLY toad? 
IF so, a trailer will hold/carry almost any motorcycle that exists.
IF you got a small enclosed trailer, it would act as a garage and could also carry other stuff that would be out of sight to a thief etc.

Back
Top Bottom